D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine is making $11.5 million for D&D movie

Character lore is fine, just no hint even of mechanics or stupid gamer-speak of the characters announcing what they are doing, like it was a game. Save that for cartoons made for pre-schoolers.

Oh, you have missed some of the other threads on the movie, then. lol

There are people who want the movie starting with normal people at a table playing the game before it cuts to their characters in the actual movie adventure. And other dopey stuff like that.

Yes I agree hell no to that, I love the Jumanji movies, but this D&D movie actually has an established setting, and to try that here would just kill Immersion. The MtG AFRset made the mistake of doing that it and flavour wise it awful (although some are mechanically fun).

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
A framing device contrasting the game vs the in-game action could be a good way to establish the movie's distinctness and that D&D is its own thing, as opposed to Generic Fantasy Movie #367. It would hinge on good writing, of course. You're right that the new Jumanji movies did it first to some extent, but that should be proof of concept.

If the idea is just to do a straight fantasy movie using D&D IP, as opposed to referencing the game in some way, I think it's a wasted opportunity.

Oofta

Legend
Character lore is fine, just no hint even of mechanics or stupid gamer-speak of the characters announcing what they are doing, like it was a game. Save that for cartoons made for pre-schoolers.

Oh, you have missed some of the other threads on the movie, then. lol

There are people who want the movie starting with normal people at a table playing the game before it cuts to their characters in the actual movie adventure. And other dopey stuff like that.

I was actually thinking of this post. But I agree, a movie like this starting with gamers sitting at a table? Nope.

Oofta

Legend
Because its a Hollywood Adaptation of a game and rarely do they do it correctly. Don't get me wrong i hope its good but i have no faith.
I would agree that adaptations of specific video games tend to suck because everyone has a specific image and style in mind reinforced by hours of playing and seeing their avatar on a monitor.

I have no clue what the movie will be like, just like I had no clue how the LOTR movies would turn out. On the other hand, while it's taken a while to get off the ground, there hasn't been much turmoil on the set that I've heard of which is a good sign. That, and a lot of Hollywood types grew up either playing or being around people that played D&D even if it's only been recently that it's respectable to admit it.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I would agree that adaptations of specific video games tend to suck because everyone has a specific image and style in mind reinforced by hours of playing and seeing their avatar on a monitor.

I have no clue what the movie will be like, just like I had no clue how the LOTR movies would turn out. On the other hand, while it's taken a while to get off the ground, there hasn't been much turmoil on the set that I've heard of which is a good sign. That, and a lot of Hollywood types grew up either playing or being around people that played D&D even if it's only been recently that it's respectable to admit it.

I just hope they realize that they dont need to make a good D&D film, they need to make a good fantasy film. A fantasy film that has fire and forget spells, dark elves, and gods named Palor and Lolth etc.

Peopel declaring themselves, Fighters, and Paladins and Swashbuckler Rogues was be idiotic.

Remove ads