D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine is making $11.5 million for D&D movie

I would agree that adaptations of specific video games tend to suck because everyone has a specific image and style in mind reinforced by hours of playing and seeing their avatar on a monitor.

Well there's not a lot of story to most board games.
The problem with D&D is it has no specific image, and no specific story. Everyone has a different mental image and a different style of storytelling. So no matter how they do the movie, it is going to be "wrong" for a significant fraction of players, and we know from other franchises that even a few unhappy hardcore fans generate a lot of negative buzz.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Wrong setting for Palor, the Sun Gods of FR are Amauntor, Lathander, Ra, and Horus.
I was just being generic, same with say Portable Hole and a Scroll of Magic Missile but point being use setting specific names. In this case, Waterdeep, Lathander, Elminster, Icewind Dale, etc.

Didn’t that already say Drizzt would pop up?

Oofta

Legend
The problem with D&D is it has no specific image, and no specific story. Everyone has a different mental image and a different style of storytelling. So no matter how they do the movie, it is going to be "wrong" for a significant fraction of players, and we know from other franchises that even a few unhappy hardcore fans generate a lot of negative buzz.
I think it's the opposite. Most people know that every DM is slightly different, no campaign is exactly alike. I had a specific image of LOTR before I saw the movies, it didn't hurt my image to see it on the big screen. I'm sure some people will trash it sight unseen. Some people will trash everything and anything. Doesn't mean it's going to have a big impact.

I guess I just don't understand why people seem to assume this will be a bad move and be a flop. Maybe I will enjoy it, maybe I won't. Maybe it will be a flop, a hit or something in between. Who knows until it's released? Why trash something that we have no knowledge of?

I think it's the opposite. Most people know that every DM is slightly different, no campaign is exactly alike.
Have you read the internet?! Most people "know" that anyone who plays D&D differently to them is having badwrongfun.

People will complain that it is too serious/not serious enough/has a framing device/has no frame/Lord Nasher's beard is too long/short etc etc etc

Remove ads