Christian Persecution vs Persecuted Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaPilot

Explorer
We need to fix the problem. . .

The system is now unsustainable. . . .

^^^ Basically the only parts of what you said that I agree with.

The fact is that adding more taxpayers now improves the longevity of the fund by increasing contributions to it, and that makes a longer-term fix more likely to work. Is adding more taxpayers all that needs to be done? No, but it does put pressure on the wound and reduce the bleeding.

As far as minimum wage goes, it's a joke. Minimum wage needs to be adjusted for inflation and made a wage that people can actually live on. Doing that would also increase spending in the economy and would increase contributions to the fund.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The UN needs to be abolished. It does more harm than good these days.

Right. Thanks for letting us know where you stand.

There is a difference, even if you don't want to see it.

Yeah... you don't know what I want. The internet is not an appropriate medium for telepathy, so you cannot read my, or anyone else's mind. Please stop speaking as if you can, as it's pretty rude.

So the rest of the world is on the hook for placing everyone who lives there?

It is in their own best interests to do so. Whether they are 'on the hook' is irrelevant - it is both the smart and the moral thing to do.

It's only the U.S. that gets a bad wrap.

No. I expect you only hear about the US getting criticized for it, because you're probably mostly listening to US news sources, that are not in the business of giving you a full account of world news. Confirmation bias
takes care of the rest.

We want to close our southern borders and we're racist jerks.

No. Say that you want to close the border because all those Mexicans are criminals and drug dealers and worthless layabouts, and you'll be a racist jerk. You'll also be kinda dumb, because the land border is just to darned long to close, and there's two bodies of water they could use, too. It simply isn't practical to really close the border.

Send them to Russia. Lots of room there and Putin is responsible for keeping Assad in power.

Siberia isn't yet particularly liveable real estate. And Putin isn't exactly what I'd call benign. And his economy isn't actually in all that great shape either. And, finally, in a geopolitical sense, I don't think it is a great idea to have him being better friends with the Muslim world than Europe and the US.

Really? You know for a fact that those were the only 12? We're really sure we have 100% of all those refugees with terrorist ties have been caught?

No, but then, I really don't have to. We have abotu 2.5 million people die each year in the USA. In the past decade, not a single one has died as a result of refugee-enacted terrorism. Not a single one.

I live in a free society. That means that perfect safety will always be denied me. Rather than seeking perfect safety, I seek "good enough" safety, and I prioritize, and pick my battles. The chance of folks dying at the hands of refugee terrorists is way, way down on the list of things that can kill us. So, I can instead turn to the far more likely causes of death to Americans.

Of for none of them being Syrian, that's really not relevant. The Syrian crisis is new

Not really - the crisis has been around for some time. Even with our long entrance procedures, we have 1500 Syrian refugees in the US now, iirc.

That only means that the ones we know of are less common that home grown ones.

And the ones we don't know of might not even be there! Without *evidence* you are jumping at shadows.

Tens of thousands? We have homeless people here that need to be taken care of. Once we solve our own issues, then we can worry about the issues of others. Every dollar spent on a refugee is better spent on the homeless veterans and people with mental issues that are out on our streets.

Common misdirection tactic: Say, "We cannot deal with C until we first deal with A and B!" and then quietly never actually deal with A and B. You can use this as a reason only when you have another thread in which you propose cogent and workable solutions to those problems, and can show that we will not have resources left for this. Until then, this is handwaving.

Plus, it isn't at all clear that you can safely afford to ignore the issue - it is central to the Middle East at this point, and the world economy is still tied to petroleum coming form there. You can't let it to go to heck in a handbasket, or the current homeless will be a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll have to deal with.

I'm really tired of the U.S. treating the people of other countries better than we treat our own.

I'm not the one stopping us - and neither are the other folks you are arguing with, I suspect. I am pretty sure we are quite ready to treat our own quite well.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
All true, and not to mention that the purpose of most so-called "anchor-babies" has almost nothing to do with immediate immigration legitimacy or seeking welfare benefits. First, a so-called "anchor-baby" can't sponsor immigration for family members until they turn 21 - that's a rather long time to wait when there are far faster means. And second, the majority of today's so-called "anchor-babies" (as opposed to those from a few decades ago) are actually children of affluent foreigners - mostly Chinese - trying to get around the "one-child" policy or setting up future access to elite colleges for their children. They don't necessarily want to immigrate to the US, they just want to be able to send their kids to Harvard and Yale.

First, the odds of any illegal being deported are slim, and it drops for mothers of American citizens. That a few are deported doesn't stop the children from being anchors. Second, the notion that there are millions of Chinese women flying in to have babies is absurd. There are some that do it for sure. Here in Los Angeles there were some high end houses set up for just that purpose. The numbers pale in comparison to the millions of illegals from south of the border, though. It's not even possible for the number of Chinese women flying to America to have babies to surpass the normal child birthrate of the millions of illegals from central and south america.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
He is also saying he saw thousands Muslims or Arabs celebrate in Jersey City when the Towers fell on 9/11. When a Black Lives Matter protester got beaten up this week at one of his rally, he said that maybe the protester needed to be roughed up. The man is becoming increasingly dangerous.

He isn't droning American citizens to death.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The fact is that adding more taxpayers now improves the longevity of the fund by increasing contributions to it, and that makes a longer-term fix more likely to work. Is adding more taxpayers all that needs to be done? No, but it does put pressure on the wound and reduce the bleeding.

At the expense of possible solutions. Any solution will necessarily have to be far more comprehensive and expensive than it currently will, possibly to the point of being unworkable. All so that you can stave off the disaster for a short period of time.

Legalizing the illegals will cause more economic harm than good, as most will contribute little or nothing to the social security, but will be entitled to many more economic programs, as well as social security. Then there's the massive influx of new illegals that happens every time we legalize a batch.

As far as minimum wage goes, it's a joke. Minimum wage needs to be adjusted for inflation and made a wage that people can actually live on. Doing that would also increase spending in the economy and would increase contributions to the fund.

You really think businesses won't pass on the cost to the consumers?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Legalizing the illegals will cause more economic harm than good, as most will contribute little or nothing to the social security, but will be entitled to many more economic programs, as well as social security. Then there's the massive influx of new illegals that happens every time we legalize a batch.

Back when I was getting my Econ degree (mid 1980's), the math showed that illegal immigrants were a net boon to the economy. This was in part because they were paid illegally low wages, reducing businesses overhead, and thus, prices paid by end consumers.

That basic dynamic hasn't changed.

In addition, usingDHS's latest numbers, the cost of catching, trying and deporting 80% of the illegals in tis country (assuming a self-deportation rate of 20%) is $260B, with a $17B cost annually after that. (Note: those numbers do not include the costs of erecting and maintaining a wall along the US-Mexico border.)
https://newrepublic.com/article/118...ed-immigrants-would-cost-billions-immigration

As noted, the libertarian think-tank Cato Institute estimated that the non-law enforcement costs of a mass deportation program would be equally large: lessening economic growth by $250B annually.

In contrast, some conservative think tanks have put forth an estimate that it will cost $6T over 50 years to legalize the illegal immigrants in the country today. Sounds like a lot, but it is less per year than the cost of deporting them (per DHS numbers) and the hit the economy would take per The Cato Institute's estimates.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Back when I was getting my Econ degree (mid 1980's), the math showed that illegal immigrants were a net boon to the economy. This was in part because they were paid illegally low wages, reducing businesses overhead, and thus, prices paid by end consumers.

That basic dynamic hasn't changed.

In addition, usingDHS's latest numbers, the cost of catching, trying and deporting 80% of the illegals in tis country (assuming a self-deportation rate of 20%) is $260B, with a $17B cost annually after that. (Note: those numbers do not include the costs of erecting and maintaining a wall along the US-Mexico border.)
https://newrepublic.com/article/118...ed-immigrants-would-cost-billions-immigration

As noted, the libertarian think-tank Cato Institute estimated that the non-law enforcement costs of a mass deportation program would be equally large: lessening economic growth by $250B annually.

The idea of catching and deporting 80% of the illegals is absurd. It can't work. That's why you have to hit them where it hurts. In the pocket. If you aggressively hunt down and severely punish businesses and individuals that hire them, people won't hire them and they will leave. For proof of that, all you have to do is look at recession we just had. The illegals couldn't find work and were self-deporting all over the place. Wonder of wonders, we had a negative flow of illegals for a few years.

MechaPilot

Explorer
At the expense of possible solutions.

No. Not at the expense of possible solutions. Adding money to the fund now grants time for a more comprehensive solution. The easiest way to add money to the fund is to add more taxpayers.

This is NOT about your illegal alien fetish. I am talking about legally adding more taxpayers by accepting more refugees. YOU keep interjecting illegal aliens like it's some kind of Tourettes tick.

You really think businesses won't pass on the cost to the consumers?

Of course they will. They did it before when the minimum wage was first created (and every time it was raised), and it didn't cause any catastrophe. According to the BLS, the percentage of change in the minimum wage has historically not affected the percentage of change in U.S. GDP, nor has raising the minimum wage affected the steady increase in per capita GDP. BLS also estimates that raising the minimum wage will result in 3.1 million people no longer needing food stamps. It is also known that people at the lowest end of the economic spectrum don't just throw this money in the bank, or in stocks: they spend it on things that they actually need but have been doing without, so that money will go right back into the economy and trickle across (?*). 600 economists, including seven Nobel Laureates agree that the minimum wage should be raised.

*I added a question mark because the bulk of increased spending doesn't trickle down, it trickles up to business-owners, B2B suppliers, and to taxing authorities. Only a small portion of it actually trickles down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases