D&D 5E Christopher Perkins Talks About The Return of Vecna, Venger, & More D&D Villains

Venger, Kelek, Warduke, and the Red Wizards are all coming soon!

Perkins reiterates that League of Malevolence villains Venger, Kelek, and Warduke will be appearing. He doesn't confirm that Venger is a Red Wizard of Thay, but does confirm that the Red Wizard storyline is coming in 2025.

The big Vecna adventure, with Amanda Hamon as lead developer, is lined up for 2024, and is Vecna's 'scary comeback' and goes to many worlds.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Winniger had been hinting for a while thst there was a Setting product aiming for 2024 that would visit a Setting already visited in 5E (odds are Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, or Eberron).
Thats right and that would make sense, at least for FR or Greyhawk at the 50th anniversary. But plans also change (and in recent months they had said like a thousand times "the multiverse is the setting for 5e").

Venger is not only an icon of D&D but also of 80's cartoons. He is too famous to not be used in the D&D merchandising, but I liked the redemption in the "last episode" Requiem. Then a part of me feels sad because Venger is "evil again".

Other point is canon says Venger has got a sister, Kareena. What about her?

Now my theory is after the adventure the villains will be not "destroyed" in the classic way but their fate will "different". I imagine they becoming "incarnated legends", a mixture of Vestige and divine Incarnations. You can face and defeated them, but not totally destroy. Like the monsters from horror movies they always a way to return. And they can be in different worlds/wildspaces. For example there is a Warduke in Oerth, other in Toril, and even maybe also one in Athas...(but with a variant look).

teitan

Legend
Not "all" necessarily. The characters and their depictions.

The fact that they apparently haven't sold digital distribution rights to anyone suggests, to me, that they may not have them. Even if no streamer wanted to pay big bucks to stream the cartoon, selling the cartoon via iTunes and Amazon would get around that, and they haven't done that.

So, did anyone do a trademark search like Perkins said to not do?
Disney probably owns the animation because they own the OLD Marvel animation studio who were owned by Haim Saban who sold to Disney when they ended the Fox Kids deal that they last showed the toon on. Similarly Saban owned a Transformers cartoon, Robots in Disguise, even though Hasbro/Takara owned the characters and designs, Saban owned the audio tracks and music or the Power Rangers when he took them from Bandai and sold them to Disney and Disney took them to Hasbro.

Not "all" necessarily. The characters and their depictions.

The fact that they apparently haven't sold digital distribution rights to anyone suggests, to me, that they may not have them. Even if no streamer wanted to pay big bucks to stream the cartoon, selling the cartoon via iTunes and Amazon would get around that, and they haven't done that.

So, did anyone do a trademark search like Perkins said to not do?

They released the D&D cartoon for free on twitch & youtube instead selling the streaming rights.

Sulicius

Adventurer
I don’t do well on nostalgia for such things, so all I hope is that they make something awesome that helps me to care as if these are new characters.

How about an adventure that starts at level 8-10? That would be an actual impressive decision.

Remove ads

Remove ads