• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Civilization IV demo

After downloading the 314 MB demo... which took slightly less than forever, thanks to repeated timeouts on the download... I installed it and... found out that my video card isn't up to snuff.

Argh! Well, at least I found this out before buying the full game. :(

Mercule

Adventurer
Joshua Randall said:
After downloading the 314 MB demo... which took slightly less than forever, thanks to repeated timeouts on the download... I installed it and... found out that my video card isn't up to snuff.

This concerns me. When I bought my laptop, I opted for one with only a 2-D card, largely based on the notion that my favorite game is Civ and I'd be fine, so long as I could run Civ 3 and successors. Guess I'll need to try the demo.

Or not, since it appears to require a for-pay account. I'm not enough of a gamer to pay for information regarding games, in general.

John Crichton

First Post
Honestly, the game is worth an upgrade if you can afford it...

I do have a high-end system but I upgraded it last week and was playing with an old video card for a while and it was just fine (with some of the graphics options tuned down).

Mercule said:
Guess I'll need to try the demo.

Or not, since it appears to require a for-pay account. I'm not enough of a gamer to pay for information regarding games, in general.
Actually, on Gamespot you can create a free account and download the demo on a "speed limited" server -- in other words they limit the DL speed to a (slow) amount. So it takes forever, but eventually you'll get the goods.

Remove ads