Civilizations, RANKED!

617VlmF1WgL._SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I started with this and had
I liked how five gave you boarders, I had skipped III and IV

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
BLUF: Civ V.

1 had the biggest impact, so new and innovative.
2 was my favorite, it improved 1 mechanically and added options and lore.
3 meh
4 was great with mods, there was one mod that turned the whole game fantasy. I was losing so I researched a project and turned all the forests into treant units. Still lost, but almost Armageddoned the world.
5 is my all time favorite.
6 was good, but I didnt get the "one more turn" feeling anymore...burned out maybe?

Gradine

🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her) 🇵🇸
I liked what little of Civ V I played, but Civ VI is available on my Switch and that makes it the instant winner right there. A lot easier to fall into "one more turn" when you can take that one more turn... anywhere. The expansions definitely make the game a lot better (and adds a ton of fun new civs). Also, Sean Bean cracking jokes about pigs. What's not to love?

This whole exercise is futile, though, because nobody's talked about the best Civilization game of all time yet; Master of Magic.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh and randomly the one later book series they talked about being influenced by was the Hyperion Cantos, and this was well after Simmons had become a very intentionally public** psychotic anti-Muslim and ultra-racist bigot, so that was a bold choice to claim!
Oh, crap. I really liked his vampires in Thailand novella and always thought about seeking out more of his work. No need for that, now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
I feel like Civ games have reached Wheel of Time status. By that I mean fans help you stay away, far away.

"Oh you'll love it! So, good. 15 books so far...and only half of them bad!"
All of thw Wheel of Time books are actually good, though it allows down a bit. It helps to be able to read one in about a day.

Kaodi

Hero
I feel like Civ games have reached Wheel of Time status. By that I mean fans help you stay away, far away.

"Oh you'll love it! So, good. 15 books so far...and only half of them bad!"
Civilization is not quite like a book series though, or even most game series. There is no inherent reason to play them all. You can just play the best recent one.

Divine2021

Adventurer
4, 2, 5, 6, 3

In that order. Can’t rank 1, cause it’s the OG and I last played it in elementary school. Still have very vivid memories playing it though.

Remove ads