• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

clarification on tunnel stalker feat from MP

evilbob

Explorer
MP said:
You can use any rogue power that requires a light blade while wielding an axe, a hammer, or a pick with one hand. You reduce Sneak Attack damage by one die when wielding one of these other weapons.
So, this means you can use any axe/hammer/pick, but even if it is versatile you cannot use it two-handed for the extra +1 damage - is that how others read this? So, you could use a warhammer but there's no +1 for using two hands (or more specifically, if you use it with two hands you get +1 damage but cannot use a rogue power with it).

Also, I interpret the second sentence to mean, for example, if you normally roll 2d6 for sneak attack, you roll 1d6 instead (or 1d8 instead of 2d8). Is that right? It seems like it could also mean "2d4" instead of "2d6," but I think they would have used the words "die type" in that case.

If these things are true: why in the world would a dwarf sack 4.5 avg damage (for losing 1d8 from your sneak attack with backstabber) on sneak attacks to take this feat and gain +2 average damage and -1 to hit on normal attacks (warhammer vs. short sword)? The only way this even comes close is if you use Dwarven Weapon Training and grab the craziest thing out of the AV you can qualify for, which gains you another +3 avg. damage (+2 feat bonus to damage, +1 more avg. damage from waraxe). So you sack 4.5 damage on CA attacks for +5 damage and -1 to hit on all attacks for the cost of two feats (and a whole different set of magical enhancements)? That seems a bit rough... And that's even with extra min/maxing. Is there something else I'm missing?

abyssaldeath

First Post
If he used that feat, along with Dwarven Weapon Training, he could use a Khopesh and qualify for feats like Deadly Axe, Heavy Blade Opportunity, Enduring Wallop(W/Fighter MC) and similar feats.

chitzk0i

Explorer
I think the "sneak attack with other weapons" feats are for the "my character concept doesn't use a light blade" folks.

nittanytbone

First Post
Also, if the Rogue sticks to multiple [W] powers, they can make up the gap somewhat. They really need 3[W] or more to make up the damage loss compared to a dagger, though -- with a dagger they'd have +2 to hit over an axe, and they'd get +1d8 damage.

evilbob

Explorer
Since no one commented on my first two questions, just posing them again: does this feat read to everyone else that you cannot take advantage of a versatile weapon's versatile property? Also, does it mean to roll one fewer die for sneak attack, or a smaller die size?

Kordeth

First Post
Since no one commented on my first two questions, just posing them again: does this feat read to everyone else that you cannot take advantage of a versatile weapon's versatile property?

Correct. The feat is very clear: While wielding an axe, a hammer, or a pick with one hand. To make use of the versatile property, you must wield the weapon in two hands. Ergo you cannot benefit from this feat and the versatile property at the same time.

Also, does it mean to roll one fewer die for sneak attack, or a smaller die size?

One fewer die.

abyssaldeath

First Post
Since no one commented on my first two questions, just posing them again: does this feat read to everyone else that you cannot take advantage of a versatile weapon's versatile property? Also, does it mean to roll one fewer die for sneak attack, or a smaller die size?

1)Correct, you can not utilize the versatile property because you have wield the weapon in one hand.

2)You reduce the number of dice by one. If it meant the size of the die it would reference the die size. Everything that I've seen so far always uses the word "size" when adjust the actual size of a die.

Mad Hamish

First Post
1)Correct, you can not utilize the versatile property because you have wield the weapon in one hand.

2)You reduce the number of dice by one. If it meant the size of the die it would reference the die size. Everything that I've seen so far always uses the word "size" when adjust the actual size of a die.

Humh, I know I've got some very small d20s somewhere (smaller than some of my d6s...)

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
As state before, you would take it because it makes sense for your character.

Of course, if it were me I would just use the stats for a dagger and say it was a small one-handed axe for style sake.

DS

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads