D&D 5E Class choices that didn't sync well with the campaign.

aco175

Legend
We are playing Elemental Evil line right now and one player is a fire cleric. It is cool and fits for the most part except when we fight fire things. He can take away the fire resistance, but not immunity. He does like things now that he has better armor and the magical pick that does +1d8 lightning.

One of my groups will be starting the Depths in a few weeks when the current campaign ends. I'll make them pay for your troubles. ;)
It'll be a nice change of pace for them and a good throw back to the good old days.

ccs

41st lv DM
I suppose the closest would've been my PF Chevelier when we played Wrath of the Rightious.
His mount/mounted combat, while not completely useless, were hardly ever important. Or even practical in many situations.
I used it when I could.
Otherwise he spent a lot of time fighting as a foot knight.

Some would argue that my 5e 1/2ling warlock might fall into this category as her offense is virtually non-existent. (An intentional choice on my end)
But they overlook the fact that my intent is a tiny support & RP character. And that she has always accomplished those roles.

I have not, but that's because we discuss the general concept of the campaign in advance. The only time we've had any issues was a player who insisted on playing a wizard in 3E, when we knew we were going to start as slaves. He was all but useless until we recovered his spellbook, but whenever he complained we all reminded him he knew what he was getting into.
I second this. When I start a campaign, I try to ensure that the players have the maximum opportunity to make informed decisions. I strongly believe that surprising players is overrated.

That means not only telling players the title of the adventure, but also the overall idea of the first chapter and likely opponents.

I find that this opens more options than it closes. A player may be nervous about playing a ranger, but may be more interested if they know the first chapters are going to take place in swamp and grasslands and you will mainly be fighting orcs.

Mounted seems to be a big one. There aren't a lot of campaigns where there is ample opportunity to have mounted combat (SKT maybe?). Just a week or so ago a player said he wanted to play cavalier, and when I said that we would be doing Ghosts of Saltmarsh, he quickly changed his mind lol.

Yeah. It became a thing for awhile at our table how often we left mounts behind simply because they couldn't go where we could. It became what you said when you were saying you were saying the party needed to keep lean and mobile. Especially with the DM who tended to kill our friendly NPCs with stray AoE effects.

"We should buy mounts to travel faster."
"No, horses can't climb ladders."

"We should bring a wagon to haul away the loot."

"We should get some low level hirelings to lay down some crossbow fire."

About the only time I've seen a character able to pull off mounted combat is when it was a Halfling paladin riding a war dog, which in a worst case could be carried by the human barbarian. Eventually it became a custom figurine of power blink dog from his deity.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I had a player choose Cavalier in my last Eberron campaign despite its lack of mounted combat. A lot of the features were still very useful as I recall and late in the campaign the opportunity arose for him to ride a dragon in a battle against other dragons (other PCs on an airship) and it was very cool. I just remembered he also had a motorcycle they salvaged from the Mournland that he occasionally used as a mount.

I had a player choose Cavalier in my last Eberron campaign despite its lack of mounted combat. A lot of the features were still very useful as I recall and late in the campaign the opportunity arose for him to ride a dragon in a battle against other dragons (other PCs on an airship) and it was very cool. I just remembered he also had a motorcycle they salvaged from the Mournland that he occasionally used as a mount.
Yeah, I think the cavalier archetype is well designed in that aspect. It works for a mounted combatant or just a defensive-oriented fighter. Very few of its features only affect mounted combat.

Weiley31

Legend
I would say then that you would have the Shield of The Hidden Lord be equipped to the Shadow Sorcerer. It would then use it's powers to help out the Shadow Sorcerer. So if a Devil/Demon used True Sight, the Hidden Lord, ya know, being called the Hidden Lord, would have a trait that would interefere with the Truesight of the Devil/Demons. Then by wearing it, it would be equipped with a NPC Feat(since it technically is a character) That could help out in someway against their Magic Resistance.

True your stuck with the Shield of The Hidden Lord occupying an Attunement Slot or shield spot: But keep on mind that using the Shield of The Hidden Lord may have a price or quirks to it.

Same thing for the Fire Sorcerers: The Hidden Lord enhances their powers so that way Fire Spells bypass the fire Immunity of Devil and Demons.

Now against Archdevils and Archdemons? That's where the Hidden Lord may not be able to bend the rules so much for the Shadow Sorcerer in that case since Archdevils and Archdemons are a whole nother thing above regular Devils/Demons. (The Hidden Lord is technically an "unofficial" Archdevil so that once again allows it to bend the rules against regular Devils and Demons, but not against its superiors.)

Now if you manage to get the Sword of Zariel and it is one of your Sorcerers, then you can just have it override the Damage type of Fireball or other fire spells and have them become Radiant instead of Fire. That way your Fireball still can damage Demon/Devils because its classified as Radiant now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases