• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Classes you're hoping WotC will create

Uchawi

First Post
All I want is meta-mechanics for the classes so it is easier to compare class ability and modify them as I see fit. Maneuvers would take care of the martial side, like spells for casters, and then you have skills and feats as the common ground between all the classes. Without those basic building blocks, more classes or subclasses are just a work around to fundamental feature I would like to have in place.

I don't care if they're class or sub class but

1 a swordmage... Someone that does things like green flame blade andswordburst like ranger or paliden but fir arcane
2 a warlord who buffs heals and has 0 magic
3 psi classes, I would love a psion class with psychic sub classes for other classes
4 warden maybe a druid or barbarian sub class but with form changeling
5 I would love to see an incarnum class too
6 a true non combat thief class...or a sub class that stops getting sneak attack so they never have more then 1d6... I. Brought it up in the roles thread and in my 1st 5e character creation night, but wanting to be a thief and wanting to be a sneak attacker are not the same

Paraxis

Explorer
6 a true non combat thief class...or a sub class that stops getting sneak attack so they never have more then 1d6... I. Brought it up in the roles thread and in my 1st 5e character creation night, but wanting to be a thief and wanting to be a sneak attacker are not the same

I am intrigued it is obvious what the character would do during exploration and social encounters how do you imagine such a class contributing to combat encounters? Would it be things like taking gear away from the enemies if they have any, disarms and such? Maybe something that let them boost the damage others in the party do like teamwork feats from pathfinder? All the classes have a way of doing damage that scales as they level even if it is the bard using vicious mockery cantrip, so just wondering how does he help his companions while only doing a d6 damage?

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The late 3.5 warlock and the Eldritch Knight could hardly be said to be 'grandfathered in,' though. And, the idea floated during the playtest was that being in a PH1 - as the 4e Warlord and 1e psionics appendix were - would be the 'grandfather' test.

I agree that a class, like the Sorcerer, created just to showcase an alternate mechanic is inelegant or even redundant - and the same could be said for a class with a concept weak enough that an alternate mechanic is the only way to differentiate it. OTOH, I think filling a role or modeling an archetype that the existing classes (individually or in combination) can't is a pretty good reason to add a class.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm hoping WotC will create a middle class for those of us who <INSERT POLITICAL OPINION HERE>

Honestly, I'm not big on the need for new classes. A lot of things can be subclasses. A lot of things are already classes, or are really modules trying to ride in the class chassis (we don't need a warlord who can heal, we need an "inspirational hit point" module that lets anyone with a CHA scream your friends back to consciousness!; psionics isn't a class, it's an alternate magic system!; etc.), or are just a spell or two away (seriously, an EK is a swordmage, and if what you're missing is the mechanics of greenflame blade and swordburst, those are just spells). Classes aren't the appropriate container for a lot of these things in 5e, even if they were classes in the past.

If WotC is going to create any class, I hope they do not create a class based on weapon/armor/skill proficiencies, alternate spell lists, or narrow mechanical tricks, and stick to making classes with unique stories and character arcs.

I am intrigued it is obvious what the character would do during exploration and social encounters how do you imagine such a class contributing to combat encounters? Would it be things like taking gear away from the enemies if they have any, disarms and such? Maybe something that let them boost the damage others in the party do like teamwork feats from pathfinder? All the classes have a way of doing damage that scales as they level even if it is the bard using vicious mockery cantrip, so just wondering how does he help his companions while only doing a d6 damage?

I'm not sure, over the years I've been pitched the concept more then once though. I'm not even sure if I would want to play it, but over the years no less then 5 players (3 are still in my group today) wanted such a thing. It came up most recently in my 1st 5e campaign. The player made what he thought would be a non combat rouge and found his combat potential was pretty high.

The way it's been said to me is "I want to hide in a fight, and NOT feel like I'm cheating the other players. If I do it with a 3d6+1d4+3 attack sitting in my wheel well, then I am cheating them, and they are right to yell, just group with the fighter and stab the thing."

I would imagine 4e "skill powers" and/or 3.5 "skill tricks" would play a big part of it. A grifter who one or two regulare punches will take out, but with quick fingers and a quick wit can outsmart most social encounters...

imagine a version of the rogue who had something like charm, and suggestion, and a quick theft power, a disguse self power, and you can get each of them instead of a d of sneak attack...

Greg K

Legend
For myself:
1. Psychic: Telepathy/Mind Control/Mental Illusions, Beast Mastery, Telekinesis, Pyrokinesis and less changing arms into weapons
2. Shaman: More along the lines of Green Ronin's Shaman rather than a druid subclass or cleric domain
3. Witch: Witch more along the lines of Green Ronin's Witch blending cleric, druid, and wizard magic than a druid subclass or cleric domain
4. a Warrior Mage class rather than relying on multi-classing or warrior archetypes
5. an Arcane Trickster class rather than relying on multi-classing or rogue archetypes
6. An unarmored cleric/ Monk class (3e OA Shaman) rather than relying on multi-classing or rogue archetypes

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads