• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleave after AoO?

Kender42

Explorer
Probably a stupid question, but I always think of it during reading these boards, and never when I am at home with my books.

Can you use Cleave after felling an opponent via an attack of opportunity?

Would you need combat reflexes?

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Kender42 said:
Probably a stupid question, but I always think of it during reading these boards, and never when I am at home with my books.

You can use Cleave anytime you drop a creature, but remember that it can only be used once per round. So, if you used it during your actual turn, then you can't use it again until your next turn.

Altalazar

First Post
I'm not so sure that it is allowed during an AoO - this can really get "dicey" if it is Great Cleave - I wonder if this would come into play in this situation:

Two creatures running in tandem run past Boris, the fighter. He gets an AoO - but since they move together, he can only attack one - by the time he swings, the other would already be past... UNLESS - he has cleave - then he can attack both if he kills the first with his swing...

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Kender42 said:

well, it may be a houserule, but I personally am loath to allow any sort of "followup" moves with AoOs. An attack of opertunity is just that, a quick jab at an opening, no fancy footwork, no followup, nadda. I mostly formulated this feeling after seeing the complete munching of a lasher who basicly got three attacks everytime someone farted within 15 feet of him. Lame, lame, lame....

So since you didn't post to the rules forum, I'll just give you my opinion - absolutely not.

Kahuna Burger

Aaron L

Hero
Yes its allowed, becuase it's one of the things that lets a fighter with a sword keep up with a wizard with fireballs that hit everything in a 40 foot circle.

Last edited:

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Greatwyrm said:
So, if you had Great Cleave, you could use it with all your AoO. Assuming you could drop all the enemies.
That's correct, and you could even use it if you had already Cleaved on your turn.

Aaron L

Hero
Greatwyrm said:
So, if you had Great Cleave, you could use it with all your AoO. Assuming you could drop all the enemies.

Yes. And if you COULD drop all of your enemies in one hit, then your'e probably fighting things that aren't too much of a challenge to you to begin with. One fireball could probably accomplish the same thing. But some people consider it unbalanced for the fighter to be able to do it too.

Psion

Adventurer
Kahuna Burger said:
well, it may be a houserule, but I personally am loath to allow any sort of "followup" moves with AoOs.

I agree. This is skirting the "bag of cats" syndrome. If puckboy goblin goes through your threatened and BBEG is on his guard, I don't see why puckboy's mistep should give you an attack on BBEG.

Kender42

Explorer
Psion said:
I agree. This is skirting the "bag of cats" syndrome. If puckboy goblin goes through your threatened and BBEG is on his guard, I don't see why puckboy's mistep should give you an attack on BBEG.
This is where my original opinion falls apart. :)

I agreed that an AoO with cleave would work.. but yeah, what if your BBEG is there?

Of course I'm the one who gives AoO's when enemies fumble, but that is just me being weird.

Remove ads