D&D General Cleretic advice

Hey everyone

I'm looking for advice on how to play/create a "Cleretic" or heretic cleric if even possible

I was planning on playing an Tiefling or human

Religion, ideal or philosophy that "gives power" hating institutions that are hypocritical. This is as far as I've gotten so far.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In 3.X, a strongly held “philosophy” is sufficient to empower “divine” abilities. It may be the same in subsequent editions. So an iconoclast who believes in battling hypocrisy certainly qualifies. “Iconoclasts” (or “Skeptics”) could even be the organization’s game

There’s a quote often attributed (without concrete evidence) to Carl Sagan*, “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.”

I could even see Iconoclasts having a mixed relationship society’s leaders and with other clerics. They’d be relentless truth seekers & revealers, solving some problems; creating others.

* According to Quote Investigator, the quote likely originated from award-winning author P.C. Hodgell’s 1994 novel “Seeker’s Mask.” In it, one character is quoted saying, “That which can be destroyed by the truth should be."

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
You might like my "Former Cultist" background that I wrote for a player in my group:

NEW BACKGROUND: FORMER CULTIST
Once, you were an obedient member of a religious cult. You may have been a dragon-worshiping follower of Tiamat, working tirelessly to loosen the bonds that hold the Dragon Queen within her prison. Or maybe you were a cultist of Nerull, spreading death and plague to crowded communities. But all of that is behind you now. Perhaps you saw something in yourself or your fellow cultists that frightened you, or perhaps an evangelist of the Order of Dawn showed you the true path of righteousness? What made you see through the veil of evil indoctrination? How did you escape?

Skill Proficiencies: History, Religion
Tool Proficiencies: Poisoner’s Kit
Languages: You can read, write, and speak your choice of Abyssal, Draconic, or Infernal.
Equipment: You’ve held on to a few items of your past life: a poisoner’s kit, a set of priest’s robes, an unholy symbol, a ceremonial dagger, a priest’s pack, and a pouch containing 10gp.

FEATURE: DEVOTEE OF THE FALLEN
Choose the belief that once defined you as a heretic, or choose one at random:

1Erythnul. This doctrine teaches that only the cunning and merciless deserve to survive. Devotees believe that Erythnul and Kord are actually the same god.
2Gruumsh. A very old faith that emphasizes strength and power over all other attributes, and teaches the supremacy of orcs over all living things. They train rigorously for a great battle that will end all humanity, where they will win their rightful place as rulers of all.
3Hextor. Followers of Hextor are your classic devil-worshippers. They would see the world returned to the Dukes of Hell, from whom they believe it was stolen.
4Lolth. The followers of Lolth believe that the drow bloodline is the purest and most divine among the elves. To the followers of Lolth, there are only two groups of people: the devout, and the doomed.
5Nerull. The stereotypical “death cult” that teaches life’s only certainty as both a philosophy and a divine mandate. Their dogma encourages believers to spread death as far and wide as possible through plague, war, murder, even ritual suicide.
6Olidammara. Cultists of the Laughing Rogue believe that luck is made, not given or found. They teach that fate, destiny, and divine intervention are all just wishful thinking, and believe that organized religion is history’s greatest con job.
7Tiamat. Your classic “dragon worshippers,” who believe that one day she will be released from her prison. And on that day, she will reward all who were loyal and consume all others–so they intend to stay on her good side.
8Vecna. This cult teaches that all secrets must be revealed. According to them, the concept of forbidden knowledge is the weak excuse of intellectual cowards.
9Wee Jas. The cultists of Wee Jas are your stereotypical “rich goth kids.” They are all about death and magic and ceremony, and they are known for their complicated rituals, antiquated outfits and makeup, and their vast tomes of spells and written dogma.

FEATURE: HERETICAL CONTACTS
Thanks to your long affiliation with a cult community, you can easily identify others who are devoted to the Fell Gods. You know where to find heretics in settlements where your old cult was represented, and you can read the subtle shadow marks and coded messages that direct their followers to safehouses, meetings, and dead-drops.

SUGGESTED CHARACTERISTICS
d8 Personality Trait
My past still haunts me in my dreams. I barely sleep, and I often wake up screaming.
2 I’m prone to violent tantrums when someone tries to control me. Never again.
3 Being a pawn for years has left me indecisive. It's hard to make decisions on my own.
4 I worry that I will fall back to my old ways, given the right circumstances.
5 I'm uncomfortable around religious folk, and avoid temples.
6 I feel very proud of how far I’ve come since my escape. I wish to help others like me.
7 I live in fear. I’m always looking over my shoulder and the slightest things startle me.
8 I know I'm still hunted by my cult. Every day I expect their templars to catch up to me.

d6 Ideal
1 Protective.
Cultists trifle with dark and dangerous powers. They must be stopped! (Lawful)
2 Honesty. I’ve been lied to so many times, I can no longer bear it. I've sworn to always be truthful. (Good)
3 Repentant. I can't undo the terrible things I’ve done, but I can still try to atone. (Good)
4 Anarchist. Our lives should not be ruled by anyone. No gods, no masters! (Chaotic)
5 Nihilist. What’s the point? We are all insignificant, and our struggles are futile. (Neutral)
6 Knowledge. They lie and they deceive, but I will unravel their words with knowledge. (Neutral)

d6 Bond
When I left the cult, I took one of its relics with me. For some reason, I can’t part with it.
2 Belief in my old faith still nags at me. Even now, I still question if I have chosen the right path.
3 I used to be friends with a powerful member of the cult. Now they are hunting me.
4 When I was in the cult, I was sent on a special mission. No one must ever know what I've done.
5 I cannot stand idly by and watch my former cult prey on impressionable youths.
6 One of my underworld contacts still tracks me, and reports my movements to my former cult.

d6 Flaw
I still hear voices in my head that command me to do terrible things.
2 I sometimes lose touch with reality, and “zone out” for several minutes.
3 I’m deeply superstitious, and I have many rituals to avoid bad luck.
4 I tend to misjudge the devotion of others.
5 I dread having to kill others, even in self defense. I’ve already spilled too much blood.
6 I’m deeply mistrustful of charismatic people…especially the ones in positions of power.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well in 5E you don't lose your spells. Several ways of doing it

1. Make it a feat or something a'la 3E. Feat does xyz and let's you steal power.

2. You believe you serve xyz but another deity is granting the spells.

3. Your heresy is mostly or partly correct. 3E did this with Lathendar/Amauntor. A section of his clergy believed Amauntor was Lathendar. They were correct and Amauntor was reborn.

4. God tolerates the heresy with limits due to cultural differences between the followers.

5. Hand wave it away. The deity doesn't care.

6. Deity is hostile but you get your spells vuavyour initial vows. The clergy is hostile to you and depending on the deity want to bury/burn you.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hey everyone

I'm looking for advice on how to play/create a "Cleretic" or heretic cleric if even possible

Religion, ideal or philosophy that "gives power" hating institutions that are hypocritical. This is as far as I've gotten so far.
So you have to consider what a heretic is. For example, I'm a heretic Catholic. I don't believe the Pope (and the Church in general) is infallible, for example. (there are a lot of other areas of disagreement, but let's take this one as it's not too political/sensitive). As Papal infallibility is a fairly central doctrine, this makes me a heretic.

If you also believe that the Pope isn't infallible, but you are a Methodist, a Hindu, atheist (etc etc)... you aren't a heretic. You can only be a heretic towards your own faith, and your heresy is only meaningful withing the confine of said faith.

Yaarel

He Mage
Hey everyone

Heretic looks like a fun character concept.

Heh, my commentary is lengthy because the Cleric class is something I have thought much about. But here it is for the purpose of considering how to implement your heretic concept.

According to the UA, the Cleric actually gets the Divine power source from the Astral Plane itself, "where the gods dwell". Not the gods themselves.

"Clerics draw power from the realms of the gods."

"Blessed by a[n] immortal entity, a Cleric can reach out to the divine magic of the Outer Planes and channel that energy."

"Because their power is a divine gift, Clerics typically associate themselves with temples or shrines dedicated to whatever deity or other immortal force unlocked their magical ability."

"A Cleric might learn formulaic prayers and ancient rites that help focus on drawing power from the Outer Planes."

"Even a Cleric who declines to worship [their god or other force] might perform their benefactors rites if doing so helps the Cleric feel connected to the immortal realms."

Overall, I am happy with this Cleric class description. It feels intentionally ambiguous in places, still wanting to push polytheism, but ultimately allows the player able to choose the character concept of ones own Cleric.

Examples of wording that needs to be clearer:
• "or an other immortal entity" ... such as a cosmic principle or vision of an ideal world.
• "their power is a divine gift" ... from the Astral Plane to the Material Plane.

What is clear is, the Divine power source comes from the Astral Plane, not from the Material Plane. This magic is strictly supernatural, and must be unlocked in order to miraculously alter the natural world. The Cleric must maintain contact with the Astral Plane.

Note, the class description specifically refers to the "Outer Planes", in other words the planes of ethical alignments. The implication here might be, the Cleric must choose and conform to the specific alignment of an Outer Plane to maintain the Divine power. However, since the 5e Paladin lacks such an alignment conformity, it is probably reasonable to generalize the Divine power source comes from the Astral Plane generally, including any of the Dominions there, with or without any concerns about an alignment. The Astral Plane is a realm of any concepts, paradigms, symbols, and ideals, is immaterial, and is entirely made out of thought stuff. That said. An alignment itself is one of the ideals that can count as an "immortal entity", "immortal force", and "benefactor" that channels the Divine power source. Even so, in these contexts, the term "immortal" means any Astral force, entity, being, or person.

I like equating the Divine power source with the Astral Plane. At first glance, the existence of the Cleric class seems to prejudice the cosmology of the setting, by assuming the existence of an Astral Plane. This cosmology straightjacketing is a problem with all Cleric classes of earlier editions. However, because of what an Astral Plane actually is − a realm of ideals, concepts, paradigms, symbols, psychological archetypes, and semiotics − these ideals can exist in any setting, even a modern setting, whether there is literally an Astral Plane or not. The Astral Plane solves the problem with the class.

The most important flavor of the Cleric class is actually the "Temple", namely a specific sacred community, and as a member of its clergy, the player and the DM need to agree how the "cleric" formally fits in within this sacred community, and the official responsibilities that the community assigns to the Cleric. To deal with the members of ones own sacred community can be far more impactful during gameplay than any abstract concept or object of devotion.

Even if the Cleric is a "scientist" (mystic protoscientist, medieval scholastic, or ancient philosopher) who devotes to the ideal of truth (which I consider ethically Neutral Good), the Cleric player and the DM still need to figure out some "scientific community" that functions as the sacred community that the Cleric class requires to be a "clergy member" for it, sotospeak. Also the design to make the Divine power source itself impersonal helps avoid the implicit master/slave relationship inherent in a god/servant hierarchy. This caution minimizes any dysfunctional power imbalances among reallife players. The impersonal Astral Plane empowers the player to decide ones own character concept, and whatever ideal it is that matters to it. This solves an other difficulty with the Clerics of earlier editions.

Your character concept of a heretic works fine.

You will need to determine a specific sacred community that potentially will or already did declare you a heretic. Your original post wants your character to gain "power". Decide exactly what this implies, because this power is the "immortal entity" that makes possible your access to the miraculous power of the Astral realm of ideals. Power can be altruistic for the sake of sharing. One must be healthy oneself to visit the ill, have money enough to assist the poor, and so on. Thus Good. Or power can be fair and meritorious. Thus Neutral. Or power can be predatory, for the sake of oneself only and at the expense of others. Thus Evil. Power is a tool. Decide how the character concept plans to use this power.

Whatever the ethical purpose of this power is, choose a sacred community that is its exact opposite, as a foil, to heighten the dramatic tension, and make the game more fun. Your characters own Divine power comes from the ideal of power, and not from the sacred community that your character officiates for. The character can even participate in the rites of the community, but with an alternate intention.

You and your DM need to decide if the community has excommunicated your character already, or if your character is tolerable sincere reformer of the sacred traditions of the community, or a self-serving abuser of the sacred traditions.

Either way, Astral entities will tend to know what your character is up to. Being of a conflictive alignment might quickly expose itself. If the community is devoted to certain Astral creatures, these creatures may actively oppose your ambitions. There may be a clash in the heavens, with Astral entities who share the same ideal as you and who you ally with, struggling to overcome Astral entities that the sacred community allies with.

Generally, the DM should decide according to the tier, how these otherworldly forces impact your character. At a low tier, there may be factions within the sacred community, some inspired to support you and others inspired to oppose you. How this plays out probably depends on the specific ideal of power of your character.

If the concept is to work within the sacred community, at a high tier, your character may be able to censure or even excommunicate those factions that oppose your ideal, thus impact the development of the sacred traditions of the community.

Yaarel

He Mage
So you have to consider what a heretic is. For example, I'm a heretic Catholic. I don't believe the Pope (and the Church in general) is infallible, for example. (there are a lot of other areas of disagreement, but let's take this one as it's not too political/sensitive). As Papal infallibility is a fairly central doctrine, this makes me a heretic.

If you also believe that the Pope isn't infallible, but you are a Methodist, a Hindu, atheist (etc etc)... you aren't a heretic. You can only be a heretic towards your own faith, and your heresy is only meaningful withing the confine of said faith.

I doubt you are a heretic. As I understand it, the concept of infallibility includes its being limited by the context of history. By implication, what is "true" is continuing to become clearer. Things that might have been usefully correct in the past, might be less correct in the present. In any case, there is more flexibility about the concept among the theologians than the lay Catholics tend to assume.

In terms of a D&D game, infallibility is a great concept to explore within a particular sacred community. There can be factions within the community, and struggles among the traditionalists and the reformers. It might even be, it is the reformers who are innovating the concept of infallibility, and it is the traditionalists who oppose it because of various sacred principles, including each member receiving inspiration and revelation individually, and the need for ongoing discussion to address points of view beyond ones own limited assumptions.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I doubt you are a heretic. As I understand it, the concept of infallibility includes its being limited by the context of history. By implication, what is "true" is continuing to become clearer. Things that might have been usefully correct in the past, might be less correct in the present. In any case, there is more flexibility about the concept among the theologians than the lay Catholics tend to assume.

In terms of a D&D game, infallibility is a great concept to explore within a particular sacred community. There can be factions within the community, and struggles among the traditionalists and the reformers. It might even be, it is the reformers who are innovating the concept of infallibility, and it is the traditionalists who oppose it because of various sacred principles, including each member receiving inspiration and revelation individually, and the need for ongoing discussion to address points of view beyond ones own limited assumptions.
Re-read my post please, this was just one example. If I get into the more serious disagreements, we leave the scope of discussion of this forum.

Remove ads