• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric in the realms

calighis

First Post
Playing a Cleric in the forgotten realms and since i am new to the realms i was wondering if anyone could make suggestions for which domains or Gods grant some cool abilities.

aboyd

Explorer
The Magic domain, Luck domain, and Travel domain are all good regardless of setting.

I personally like the Charm domain on page 63 of the FR book, because I like playing characters who do diplomacy and persuasion. If you don't like that, it's not a good choice to take. If you will be in a campaign that makes heavy use of werewolves or other lycanthropes, the Moon domain is essential, because it lets you turn them like undead. Similar benefits come from the Scalykind, Spider, & Slime domains.

The Time domain is just awesome, IMHO. I use every spell it grants and appreciate the free Improved Initiative feat. However, there are only 2 gods that grant that domain (compared to lots of gods granting the Charm domain) so that might limit what your 2nd domain will be (assuming you're getting your powers from the gods and will be limiting yourself to their domains).

Lastly, the Tyranny domain is wicked. Unfortunately, you have to worship evil gods to get it. But if you do, couple it with a spell focus feat on enchantment spells. What you end up with is +3 to your save DC for compulsion spells such as Hold Person & Command. This starts to make your caster rather "hard to resist." ;)

(I like that because I hate seeing "Will negates" in the saving throw area, which basically means your round was worthless if the enemy saves. But that tiny +3 really helps your spells to work more often.)

calighis

First Post
Well I settled on a super tanky build for the cleric and I chose to be a mongrel folk. This adds +4 to con and -4 cha and -2 to int as well as a host of strange bonuses.
Not totally optimal for a cleric due to the lack of skill points and low turning rolls. I rolled like Jesus for this guy and got 18,18,18,17,14,13.
I chose the cha and int as dump stats, and put the 17 into con giving him a hefty +5hp per level. By 4th i'll make that 22.
by way of deity i chose a dwarven deity, who's name i forget.
He grants two things I was looking for.. Chosen weapon greatsword and the war domain.
I chose luck as a second domain.
Right now I am trying to figure out a good class feature substitution that would replace turn undead because my Cha is 10.

Remove ads