• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Close Reaching Spell Feat - Balanced?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
A player in one of my games has asked me if she could take a feat that would transform a spell from Effect: Creature touched to Effect: Ray. I was thinking about making the metamagic feat modify the spells level by +2. Do you think that is acceptable or should it be higher?

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
The feat exists, it´s printed in one of the Complete books. Let me see...

Yep, Complete Divine. +2 to spell level, turns touch spell into Ray, with a range of 30 feet.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Huh. Don't know how I overlooked that. Just curious, if I took Recah Spell and used it as a prereq, would be unfeasible to add an additional 30 feet to the range for an additional +1 spell level? Thus:

Close Reaching Spell [Metamagic]
You can cast touch spells from close range.
Prerequisite: Reach Spell
Benefit: You may cast a spell that normally has a range of touch at a close distance (25 ft + 5 ft./2 levels). A Close Reaching Spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spells actual level.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
I would instead modify the featl to change the ray to the range of Short, which makes a bit more sense to me.

the Jester

Legend
Looks fine, but imho it's not worth a +3 mod, but it is obviously worth slightly more than Reach Spell. I'd either just keep Reach Spell or ignore it and give CRS a +2 mod.

Remove ads