D&D 5E Closed Playtest Reports

koga305

First Post
In another thread, it was mentioned that we've been hearing snippets from those continuing to test 5E - and we can infer from Mearls's article here that topics being tested may include:
  • Tactical combat
  • A dramatic system
  • A build-your-own-subclass system
  • A "campaign management" system

What do we already know from those in the closed playtests? Furthermore, if any of those in the playtests are allowed to talk, what can you tell us?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I can't tell you much, of course. But I can let a few details slip.

• An "AI" that allows your character to play itself as a series of customizable if/then statements, without any input required.
  • A model of HP that allows you to regain HP after being hit by running around and collecting the points that fall out (takes a Move action)
  • A "romance" subsystem that allows you to specify partners based on race, class, economic level and "comeliness."
  • A storytelling module that allows the DM to script player action ahead of time in exchange for XP.
  • A monk subclass that gains the ability to illuminate manuscripts rather than punch things.
  • A module that balances the imbalances inherent in 5e by making everyone the same class with the same attacks that deal the same damage and have slightly different status effects based on whatever narrative your attack includes.
  • Wandering Prostitutes tables. Like, 2 pages of them. Down to the wrinkles and traumatic sexual abuse histories and addictions.

I may have said too much. Keep it on the DL, okay?

koga305

First Post
  • A module that balances the imbalances inherent in 5e by making everyone the same class with the same attacks that deal the same damage and have slightly different status effects based on whatever narrative your attack includes.

... you mean the whole game isn't like this? HERESY. I refuse to buy 5E unless each character is a Minion with a save-or-die attack that deals damage on a miss... but only at third level or higher. You have to kill 3,000 kobolds in Vietnam to get there.

• Wandering Prostitutes tables. Like, 2 pages of them. Down to the wrinkles and traumatic sexual abuse histories and addictions.

Oh thank goodness. I thought they were going to stop at a page, and we'd lose the "hooker with a heart of gold" and "dilettante with daddy issues" options.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Olgar Shiverstone said:
"dilettante with daddy issues"

On an unrelated note, I can neither confirm nor deny half-elves.

Savage Wombat said:
I'm still hoping for a competitive cooking subsystem - any hints?

There's an entire chapter on Generic Food Metaphors that basically conceives of combat as this.

MarkB

Legend

Has your group tried the new Dwarven Thrower yet? We've been having great fun with it.

My record so far is 90 feet, but that was while wielding a +3 flaming dwarf, so it's probably not typical of the class's performance.

Remove ads