CoC 7e?

I was into CoC long ago, and understood the first 6 editions largely made minor changes from edution to edition, more like refinements than new editions.

Then I heard 7e was a major change.

I was curious as to what happened, anyone have any views on CoC 7e to share?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The biggest change they made was ditching the Resistance Table for opposed skill rolls, which is a change that I looooooooved.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
They’re all minor changes. No more resistance table, as mentioned. Stats are set at x5 as the baseline, bringing them in line with skills. Minor skill changes. They added dis/advantage. There’s new optional rules. A lot of long-time fans make way too big a deal over the changes. They’re not really any more drastic than any other edition of Call of Cthulhu.

Call of Cthulhu 7E is the best version of the game. Things are explained better. There’s a mountain of good Keeper advice. Still fully backward compatible. Minor tweaking at most.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
What about what I heard on 'pushing rolls'.
I'm not sure what you heard about pushing rolls.

But pushing rolls is getting a second roll with raised stakes. Like you make a Library Use check and fail, but think it's super important so push the roll, this isn't just meta, you lose something in the fiction for the re-roll, time, resources, etc. If you fail the pushed roll, the Keeper is supposed to push the horror. Like you fail a pushed Library Use check so it turns out the head librarian is a cultist and calls in some goons to sort you out. Or you get a glimpse of something you weren't meant to see and lose Sanity. Each skill has hints, tips, and tricks on how to handle a failed pushed roll.

I'm not sure what you heard about pushing rolls.

But pushing rolls is getting a second roll with raised stakes. Like you make a Library Use check and fail, but think it's super important so push the roll, this isn't just meta, you lose something in the fiction for the re-roll, time, resources, etc. If you fail the pushed roll, the Keeper is supposed to push the horror. Like you fail a pushed Library Use check so it turns out the head librarian is a cultist and calls in some goons to sort you out. Or you get a glimpse of something you weren't meant to see and lose Sanity. Each skill has hints, tips, and tricks on how to handle a failed pushed roll.
Thanks!

BigJackBrass

Explorer
They switched the characteristics to the percentage scale, which doesn’t make much of a difference since it’s effectively what you get if you multiply the old score by five. Whether there was any good reason to do so depends on who you ask.

The various tweaks and changes have certainly made the character sheet rather more cluttered than it used to be, which is a shame but it’s not easy to see how to streamline it and still keep all the information.

Essentially it’s much the same game it was, despite the unnecessary changes (the fact that much of it is so similar highlights how superfluous the changes are): you’re still playing CoC, but now it feels like you’ve added a few of someone else’s house rules.

Celebrim

Legend
Some of the changes feel very unnecessary. Others just validate a lot of the way CoC was actually played in practice. Some of it cleans things up after decades of bloat.

The source books are however the best, cleanest, clearest and most comprehensive versions of the rules ever.

However, some of the things like blowing luck to modify rolls and pushing rolls feel like rules that should have remained optional rules. It's a peanut butter in their chocolate thing for some, and for me it's more of a beets in my chocolate thing.

In any event, you probably won't end up with more house rules in 7e than before and all and all it's a welcome addition to the vintage system.

Remove ads