• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC/Eberron]Valthirond Sleeps-Ex Oblivion, Eberron! IC

Mark Causey

Explorer
With a nod to nonamazing, I have a few quick words about formatting:

Please denote OOC comment and questions with an {OOC} and {/OOC} tag. Long comments or questions should be sent to the original thread. All speech should be in "quotation marks" and all thoughts should be italicized. You may use colors, if you wish, just make sure that you choose a color that will be fairly easy to read off a black background.

If your characters run across something in a foreign language, I will note it like this: [Language] - "spoiler text" (The spoiler text will be invisible unless highlighted, of course. Any characters who speak the appropriate language or are under the effects of an appropriate spell may highlight and read the text--others should ignore it.) Use the same technique if you wish to have your character say something in any language other than Common.

I'll also use spoiler text for messages that are intended for one or two characters only, generally in relation to skill checks. Same format as the language thing: [Character] - "spoiler text"

Here's some examples:

The frost giant looks at you, grimaces, and says [Giant] -
"Ye've no place in my lands, small warm ones! Leave now, a'fore I commences pummelling!"

The strange purple lightning dances up and down the sail lines, terrifying the crew. [Aalin] -
"Knowledge (arcana): you believe that the lightning is, in fact, a harmless non-magical display."

----------

Valthirond, once a portal trade city, a pearl in Breland, is now little more than a decaying lightning rail station and a few rotting docks. No one plans to stop in Vathirond anymore, and the loners that do come and go with their own reasons. Silence wraps everyone in Vathirond, and her residents hope that this will keep them proof against the straying mists of the Mournland.

You step off of the lightning rail coach; fools stare at you in wonder through the dirty windows, wiser ones ignore your departure. A shrill wind, angry and futile, whips about a creaking and broken sign, suicidally hanging by chain, denoting the forgotten pearl of Breland. The upset vapors and the bemoaning sign are your only greeters; you, like everyone else in Valthirond, are now alone.

Your silent moment, as you gather your belongings and ignore the slither of the rail coaches behind you, is shattered by an antithetical movement out of the corner of your eye. Maybe you aren't so alone after all.

Last edited:

GentleGiant

Explorer
Not quite what the ticket office promised me, but I guess it'll do for a month or two... Vecis Cain mused to himself.
Looking around for someone to help carry his bags, he noticed that he apparently wasn't the only one who had chosen this dreary place as his destination. Through the whisps of chill autumnal fog coming off the river Vecis notices several other dark figures on the lightning rail platform, standing in the pools of light coming from the hanging lanterns. With no manservants or the like coming to help the travelers with their luggage, Vecis puts on his long, warm coat and bends down to pick up the unfamiliar weight of the leather backpack.

Maybe one of these other travelers knows of a good inn to stay at, it's getting awfully late and the dark shadows around here seems to hide more than I'm used to

Walking towards the nearest mistcloaked figure he calls out: "I say, hello there... Yes, you my good Sir. Do you perchance know of any good festive establishments in the neighbourhood? It's no night to be out alone in the streets in."

{OOC}Since the intro told us nothing about the time of year, nor time of day, I took the liberty of proclaiming it as a Fall/Autumn early evening. If you had something else in mind adamantineangel, I'll change my post to reflect that.{/OOC}

Last edited:

Mark Causey

Explorer
Vecis hears a slight click from the direction he called out towards. Hundreds of tiny lights arranged in two orbs betray the dark night, and Vecis is able to see what appears to be a gaunt pale halfling with huge eyes.

Closing the object in its hand with another click, the light dims some. "Late as usual," it notes with a sigh. "It's almost like the rail cars are afraid of Valthirond, too ..."

It starts walking toward Vecis, and its loud boots can be easily heard.

{OOC}We're in Sypheros, mid-Autumn, so perfect choice.{/OOC}

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"Not the night for wandering, indeed," says a youngish man with straight brown hair, the silver brooch of a stylized flame on the clasp of his cloak. "Caide Fletcher," he says with a slight bow, in a tone of voice that marks him as a native of Thrane. "I was tracking a ghoul from Aruldusk, and lost track of it around here. Have either of you seen it? A man about my height, stinking like a charnel grave."

GentleGiant

Explorer
"Ghoul? Hah, old midwife tales!" Vecis shakes his head with a grin. "So some kind of grave robber I take it?"
"Well, seeing that I just arrived here I haven't seen anyone besides that little fellow over there. Are you familiar with the city? I'm looking for a place to spend the night."
With a glance towards the approaching gaunt halfling Vecis adjusts his coat to stave off the tendrils of chill creeping through the open front of it. "Or maybe that fellow over there can help us out" he says with a nod in the halflings direction.

Mark Causey

Explorer
The halfling makes its way forward to the two of you, but now both of you can see that its not what you thought it was. Two small antennae roll backward off its brow along the slope of its head, and the large orbs of light are its eyes. Dressed in light clothing and heavy boots, it returns a silver sphere to its shoulder bandolier and straightens its heavily laden belt. Chitin on its head and the backs of its hands luminesce.

That's the most conversation I've seen between two strangers in Valthirond in the year I've been here. Would you two like a guide for this town, or will you go ghoul hunting immediately?

Its query seems genuine, if not sarcastic.

Caide -
Knowledge (arcana) - That is a dromite, a gender neutral race of insectoids. Little is known, but the belief is that they live near Khyber shard depositories.

{OOC}Anyone else arriving by train?{/OOC}

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Caide laughs at the "halfling"'s comment. "And what brings you here, my friend? Know you a place where travellers such as ourselves may get indoors out of this blasted fog?"

Mark Causey

Explorer
The 'halfling' grins. "Good, I charge two of the silver a day, or one of the silver for directions anywhere. You'll be needing one or the other, but if you will be here for long, I'd suggest a year's service at one of the platinum! I'd also accept ten of the gold."

Again, it seems serious, albeit genuinely grinning.

{OOC}While I am having fun with the 'halfling' here, Sense Motive, Diplomacy, Intimidate, etc. may be appropriate for your characters. Also, I'm wanting to see if anyone else is going to show up for this thread ...{/OOC}

Last edited:

ferretguy

First Post
As he steps of the train and onto the platform, Henry is greeted by the fog, almost seeing images in his peripheral vision that he doesn't want to focus on. Almost home...son.... Leave me alone!He grumbles to himself...quickly looking around to see if any others note him talking...well at least it ain't crowded here he thinks..
Noting others talking to a pale looking hafling (who seems to know this town...)
He wraps his cloak about him moving closer to hear if there may be an inn that he can get to before the mist gets too much thicker...

Mark Causey

Explorer
A low hum builds and grows from the tracks behind you, and some hairs stand on end.

The 'halfling's' antennae perk up, and it makes motions to leave the platform.

"All of us, let us be going, sticking around is a dangerous idea now. We will discuss payment at the inn. Consider yourselves lucky! I have given a one-time freebie!"

It cracks open a thin vial-like rod from its belt, emitting a dull blue glow that barely lights the area around it.

It quickly moves off to the steps leading away from the conductor stones and stops halfway down, waiting for confirmation that all of you are following.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads