CODENAME: MORNINGSTAR Kickstarter Launched - and it's for PATHFINDER!

Trapdoor Technologies has launched its Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar. As expected, the software is for the Pathfinder RPG, with other systems being supported later. It has a number of modules - home, character, adventure, campaign, party, library, and forge - and is designed for mobile devices and laptops. They're looking for a whopping $425,000 - one of the largest RPG Kickstarters I've ever seen! - and are looking at an April 2015 release date.

Trapdoor Technologies has launched its Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar. As expected, the software is for the Pathfinder RPG, with other systems being supported later. It has a number of modules - home, character, adventure, campaign, party, library, and forge - and is designed for mobile devices and laptops. They're looking for a whopping $425,000 - one of the largest RPG Kickstarters I've ever seen! - and are looking at an April 2015 release date. Of course, this software was originally designed for D&D 5th Edition before the relationship between Trapdoor and WotC came to an end, so many folks will have seen beta versions of the software when it was configured for that game. It's more than a character generator, though -- "Players will be able to quickly create and manage characters, track the progress of their adventures, send secret messages, roll virtual dice and more. GM’s will be able to manage adventures, track encounters, share maps and notes as well as organize large scale campaigns all through a cleverly designed mobile interface." And later comes the "sharing" part -- "Through the Forge, Game Designers can create adventures and campaigns, share them with their friends or publish them in our Library for the entire world to enjoy." You can already sort of see how some of that sharing will work, as some pledge levels for the Kickstarter include additional content (in this case an adventure). Click here for the Kickstarter!

trapdoor.jpg

Osgood

Adventurer
Too bad... I really liked Morningstar/Dungeonscape, but a Pathfinder app is slightly less useful to me than an extra nostril...on my taint.

dracomilan

Explorer
425k? Seriously? It seems they dumped everything and are starting over... Or are starting right now.

Anyway, I'm not interested (PCGen owns my 3.5/Pathfinder needs).

Kostchie

Villager
I'm a bit disappointed. Mostly that there won't be one for dnd 5th. I'm guessing without the licence there is too much they have to leave out. This will just not be a thing for me, which is a bummer.

Grimstaff

Explorer
There's so much out there already for Pathfinder. Much of it cheap or free. These guys are definitely ambitious, I'll give them that much.

The_Gneech

Explorer
A bit late to the party, aren't they? (He said, updating his Hero Labs dataset.)

This amuses me for some reason that I can't identify. I wish 'em well, but, I dunno, I don't think this will shake the pillars of heaven.

-The Gneech :cool:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A bit late to the party, aren't they? (He said, updating his Hero Labs dataset.)

Unless I'm missing a bunch of functionality from my copy of Hero Lab, doesn't it only do one of the 7 "modules" list up there? The character part?

Maul

Explorer
If "Morningstar" wants to be successful they should create the project in smaller phases.

Starting with the basics. 1st......Character Generator. Kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN9oGEj06D0&feature=youtu.be
Making it look like a video game interface and keeping it as simple as possible speeds up the character generating process. Like anything, first impressions count. Make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

2nd......In game tools.......Initiative Tracker and Monster HP Tracker. Offer as an add-on that becomes unlocked at a certain pledge amount.

3rd.......Adventure Tracker. Offer as an add-on that becomes unlocked at a certain pledge amount.

And whatever aspect of the software that doesn't become funded you run another Kickstarter to fund it later on.

Remove ads

Remove ads