D&D 5E Coins and weights in D&D - the math doesn't add up!

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Well, according to my calculations, if you take the 16, then divide it by the who the F cares!, you get a game designer saying "Well, 50 coins to the pound is easy to calculate on the fly when I'm looking at how much loot my character has got in this dungeon...so lets go with that!".

;)

Bessides, how pure are the metals? How uniform in shape and size? Consistency from kingdom to kingdom, continent to continent, over the thousands of years of civilizations most campaigns are based on...and that's all before we account for wear and tear, 'clipping', counterfeit, and don't even mention coins from completely different prime material planes brought here via wish, multiverse hopping adventurers, gods, demons and devils giving thanks/payment to their followers... the list goes on and on and on for all the myriad of things that could equate to just why "50 GP weighs a pound". It's D&D. Deal with it.

Paul L. Ming

aramis erak

Legend
Gygaxian prices match some fairly readily available sources, and are 1gp = 1/- (aka 1 shilling). One of those readily available sources mentions that the gold penny was worth 1 shilling (and failed to mention that it was fairly debased gold - about 10kt to 12kt), and the penny was a silver penny...

The prices in question are 14th to 16th C ...

Where he comes up with his weights, however... I'm not certain.

The traditional silver penny is 1 dwt ... 1/240 of a troy pound...

delericho

Legend
nope. the issue isn't weight it is encumbrance. 10 loose coins being a pound accounts for you trying to keep them from falling out of your poorly sealed codpiece.

Clearly we need a table for how well a PC's codpiece is sealed.

On second thoughts, I think FATAL probably has one...

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
How is it that the Grandma friendly censor machine blocks out words like :D:D:D:D and :D:D:D:D but let's FATAL pass?

Not knowing what those two words are, I can't speak to why they're blocked, but remember that if "FATAL" is blocked, then so is "fatal," and that's kind of an extremely important word for talking about death and dying...which is a thing that happens fairly often in RPGs.

diaglo

Adventurer
you never know when you might get drugged or held. so hiding stuff places is necessary for any adventurer.

besides how do you pay for your ale and fun if not with coin?

Remove ads