D&D 5E Coins and weights in D&D - the math doesn't add up!

aramis erak

Legend
I have looked thru all the D&D PHs and DMGs I could find (2nd Edition, Third, Fourth, and Fifth) and they
all say it's 50 coins to a pound (any type coin - copper, silver, gold, etc.). However, they ALSO claim each individual coin weights about a third of an ounce, which means three coins for every ounce, correct. Now, a pound contains 12 ounces, doesn't it? So 3x12=36 coins to a pound - but the books says 50! Is this a math error perpetuated for multiple editions without being caught and corrected, or am I making a mistake somewhere...? :confused:
Two different pounds (and ounces)

The Pound Avoirdupois is 16 Avoirdupois ounces (oz).
The Troy Pound (lb t) is 12 Troy ounces (toz or oz t), or about 14.58 Avoirdupois ounces.

The troy pound is 240 dwt (pennyweight) or 373.24 g, or 14.58 oz
The avoirdupois is 291.68 dwt or 453.59 g or 13.166 toz

We normally measure precious metals in toz (troy ouces) and lb t... but the D&D weights are in Avoirdupois pounds

wedgeski

Adventurer
Pet peeve: no, it's not. His statement was accurate, while factoids aren't. A brief but interesting fact is a factlet, not a factoid.
Wikipedia agrees with you, for sure. The usage of that word throughout my entire social circle, however, does not! :)

I will endeavour to use the correct word in all future discourse.

jrowland

First Post
I wonder if I'll see the day when the Americans start using metric...

You are in luck, my friend, we Americans use it all the time in the sciences. Therefore, we have already "started".

If you mean when Americans stop using imperial, well, no, you'll never see that day. It's part of our identity know. Because nothing says free and independent like using the weights and measures of your once imperial overlords.

E

Elderbrain

AHHH... I forgot there were two different ways of measuring ounces and pounds. My dictionary said 12 ounces to a pound, so naturally I thought there was an error... but the error was mine! Mia culpa...

Remove ads