Combat Challenge and Opportunity Attack

eleran

First Post
slightly tangent to the OP topic, does the radiant damage from the Paladins combat challenge apply if the marked opponent takes an OA against someone other than the Paladin?

HP Dreadnought

First Post
You're not going to get hundreds of attacks period. Just the movement limitations will make it vitually impossible to get more than a dozen or so. But even that assumes enemies stacked up in every square around the fighter in an entire 180 degree arc in front of him, for several ranks.

In that case, if you have that many opponents simply charging past the fighter, I think the cinematics of stemming the tide singlehandedly is exactly what the ability is intended for. But. . . it will almost never happen like that. Getting 3 such attacks would be a rare thing. . .

FireLance

Legend
eleran said:
slightly tangent to the OP topic, does the radiant damage from the Paladins combat challenge apply if the marked opponent takes an OA against someone other than the Paladin?
Sure, if the opponent hasn't already taken damage from it earlier in the same round.

kclark

First Post
eleran said:
Yes, unless it has already taken the radiant damage earlier this turn. The damage is limited to once per round.

Chen_93

First Post
If you have the fighter class with the Warpriest Paragon path do you get to take your OA granted by the Paragon power AND your combat challenge attack against a marked foe who shifts or attacks someone other than you? I'm wondering whether this was an oversight or not in the Warpriest path that didn't get changed when the fighter combat challenge was changed into a non-OA attack.

Xorn

First Post
If the target is adjacent to the fighter? Yes.

Opportunity Attack (once per turn) for the Ranged, and Interrupt for attacking a target that doesn't include the fighter (once per round).

That's why you don't launch ranged attacks against someone else while adjacent to a fighter. He'll kill you if you let your guard down that badly.

I'd question the sanity of a DM that opted to make this move, too. :D

I've specifically declined to take an OA against my group's rogue as he provoked a target the fighter was marking, because I wasn't going to stop the halfling from getting into a flank, probably wouldn't even hit the rogue (22 AC vs OA!?), and the fighter would probably tag the bloodied creature with a maul. Better to just try and survive the sneak attack, rather than guarantee death by eating an OA first. :)

bjorn2bwild

First Post
Chen_93 said:
If you have the fighter class with the Warpriest Paragon path do you get to take your OA granted by the Paragon power AND your combat challenge attack against a marked foe who shifts or attacks someone other than you? I'm wondering whether this was an oversight or not in the Warpriest path that didn't get changed when the fighter combat challenge was changed into a non-OA attack.

VERY interesting... Initially I'd say yes (without digesting the actual rules text), but I could also see the reasoning in saying no.

toxicspirit

First Post
If I recall correctly, Attacks of Opportunity are an Interrupt, and a character cannot perform more than one Interrupt or Reaction action in a round. Also, I believe that characters can only get one AoO per round per opponent.

bjorn2bwild

First Post
toxicspirit said:
If I recall correctly, Attacks of Opportunity are an Interrupt, and a character cannot perform more than one Interrupt or Reaction action in a round. Also, I believe that characters can only get one AoO per round per opponent.

Opportunity Attacks do indeed interrupt an opponent's action, however, per Phb268, they are classified as an "opportunity action" whereas immediate interrupts are classified as an "immediate action".

You are correct that a character only gets one Opportunity action per opponent's turn, however, the attack granted by Combat Challenge is specifically not an opportunity attack, it's an immediate interrupt. :cool:

Remove ads