Combinations used in TWF

Noldor Elf

First Post
What combinations characters use in your game, if they fight with two weapons?

In our group we have ranger fighting with longsword and shortsword (probably THE combination).

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
I just started playing again after DMing for the past 16 years, and have a gnome fighting with 2 hand axes. Now this is by no means the best combination.... hell I just like the image of it.. :)

Ysgarran

I actually have a dwarf in my campaign who is using two Dwarven Waraxes. Most of the time he sucks up the -4 penalty but if the opponent is moderately tough to hit, he will put away one of the axes and use his best dwarven waraxe two handed.

He absolutely mows down lesser oppenents but he his somewhat easy to hit himself. He finally learned the other day the value of the 'expertise' feat. Tudo (the dwarf's name) was fighting the ogrillians from 'Nightfang spire' and was just getting torn apart. He finally decided to put some of his attack bonus towards defense and started doing much better against the ogrillians (who have a fairly easy to hit themselves).

drnuncheon

Explorer
Wild Karrde said:
I's say that is definately "THE" combination. But we have a halfling rogue using a short sword and a dagger.

I would think that identical weapons would be more common, simply because you get more mileage out of your weapon-related feats that way. As a ranger I know I'd be tempted to get WFin: Short Sword and boost dex way up there for all the associated benefits. WFoc: Shortsword, Imp Cirt: Short Sword...if I take a few levels of fighter there's even WS: Short Sword - I think if you go that route then you more than make up for the -1 point of damage/round.

Now admittedly I haven't done the math to see if it's worth the -2 to hit and extra feat to use paired bastard swords...:D

J

RavenSinger

First Post
I've got a ranger in my campaign that uses a scimitar and hand axe combo. Not sure why specifically, however I *do* remember him saying he liked the larger crit threat of the scimitar. I also think he likes the image just like DungeonKeeper. I say more power to him.

--RavenSinger

Scimitar and light mace

My human rogue/ranger's primary weapon is the Ranseur. Our well-armored dwarf, halfling, and gnome form the front line, and I improved disarm or attack over the top of them.

But sometimes I'll switch to scimitar and light mace. No min/max in that choice, I just like the feel of it; piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning are all covered, though.

Zhure

First Post
We've got a human Ranger/Rogue dagger/dagger user. He gets to double up on his other Feats, like Finesse and Point-blank Shot for use in ranged attacks.

Greg

One NPC dark Elf villainess in my game fought with an exotic dueling style, wielding a whip-dagger and a rapier. Sure, it took a whole heck of a lot of feats to master that style--Exotic Weapon Proficiency (whip), Weapon Focus (whip), Weapon Focus (rapier), Two-Weapon Fighting, Ambidexterity, Point-Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Finesse (rapier), Expertise, Improved Trip, Ranged Grapple, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting--but after multiclassing in Lasher, she got something like 8 attacks per round with that whip of hers. :)

Noldor Elf

First Post
I guess using two bludgeoning weapons is (for some odd reason) not so common than two blades (swords, scimitar,...)

Fighter wielding two maces or warhammers could look devastating... ;-D

Remove ads