Combinations used in TWF

Ealli

First Post
I'm currently trying out a dual dagger wielding character. Only third level, we started at third and have had only one session, so I don't know how it will go yet. I just really wanted to see if I could make a character effectively utilize a pair of daggers.

drnuncheon

Explorer
omedon said:
I prefer using twin Rapiers or twin Short Swords because of they lack the weight penalty.

Twin rapiers would actually have the weight penalty - at least, I assume you mean the further -2 for weilding a non-Light weapon in your off hand - unless the character is size Large.

Remember, rapier is a Medium-size weapon, which means itis not Light for a Medium-sized character. The fact that it can be Finessed is an exception to the rule that you can only finesse Light weapons.

Shortswords, on the other hand, would not get the penalty.

J

mzsylver

Explorer
currently i play a human female rogue that uses two daggers. she has ambi, 2 weapon, improved 2 weapon, weapon finesse, and quickdraw so she can switch her weapons around alot.

i was thinking a "Quick Sheathe" type feat might be cool to get.

WSmith

First Post
I have two characters I have yet to use. But:

Human Ranger: Rapier in his primary and either dagger or light mace in the off hand. That way he has a bludgeoning weapon in case of skeletons. Even with his STR and BAB, he is not at a negative, (+1 to hit). Wait til I get to pick up Wpn Fin, and use his +4 Dex for the rapier :D

Halfling Monk: Wields two tiny kamas. BUT what I really wanted for him is to wield two tiny dagger like weapons, I think tainto is what they are called. I haven't found them anywhere stat wise, but if I can, or make them up, that is what he will use so he can use them as monk weapons, plus in a pinch he can throw them and make use of the racial bonus to thrown weapons.

BTW, even though it might sound like it, I am not a min/max munchkin, I am just working a concept I had of what the character should be like, and in the process discovered the meta-game bene's.

jfiz

First Post
what I envision...

When I think of a twf. character, I always seem to come back to the same image...a ranger (or maybe rogue) who is for lack of a better way to describe, from an eastern themed culture...nomadic desert and thick woodlands type. This ranger would be fairly lightly armored (best represented by leather/studded leather), and would wield 2 curvy blades, one Medium and one small. Probably the best representation in 3E would be say a scimitar and an kukri. The character would seldom use ranged weapons, but may carry a short bow for that purpose. He would probably slant his feats towards the scimitar (man what I wouldn't give for a M sized version of the falchion) but use ambidex/2wf as well.

This is more a style/character choice...not the most mechanically appealing method, but still cool IMHO. For added style and flare, probably go ranger/fighter MClass, and pickup a few extra feats like expertise, improved disarm, etc.

Anyway just my 2 sticks worth. =)

Cake Mage

Explorer
I got you all beat in stangeness.
I working on a gnome who uses two minituraized catapults he straps to his arms and fires moltov cocktails and alchemsits fire.
hows that for style :D

Last edited:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
WSmith said:
BUT what I really wanted for him is to wield two tiny dagger like weapons, I think tainto is what they are called. I haven't found them anywhere stat wise, but if I can, or make them up, that is what he will use so he can use them as monk weapons, plus in a pinch he can throw them and make use of the racial bonus to thrown weapons.

In AEG's Rokugan Campaign Setting, there are stats for the Tanto.

Simple Weapon, Small 1d4 19-20/x2
"A basic knife, the tanto is the standard weapon for all samurai after their daisho."

Not able to be thrown, though. Basically, a dagger with a different name.

Hattersai

First Post
My Ranger fights with a bunch of weapons but my personal fav is longsword and torch. I like the image of that esp cause it looks grizzled.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Our groups like two-weapon fighitng, maily bastard sword pairs, daisho, and my own rogue/temple radier/dread pirate with a rapier and main-gauche. He sometimes switches to a sap, pistol-dagger, or a triple-dagger, depending on the need. As far as rangers go, I'm partial myself to pairs of scimitars, and if the DM allows, pairs of falchions, since we treat falchions like bastard swords, i.e. large martial/medium exotic weapons.

drnuncheon

Explorer
WSmith said:

Halfling Monk: Wields two tiny kamas. BUT what I really wanted for him is to wield two tiny dagger like weapons, I think tainto is what they are called. I haven't found them anywhere stat wise, but if I can, or make them up, that is what he will use so he can use them as monk weapons, plus in a pinch he can throw them and make use of the racial bonus to thrown weapons.

They're called "tanto". The closest thing statwise would probaby be - oddly enough - a dagger. It'd still be piercing - IIRC, the reason for the chisel-style tip is to help punch through armor.

If you wanted a bit more oomph/"asian mystique", convince your DM to use the stats for kukri - but then you'd need EWP.

J

Remove ads