D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

Thomas Shey

Legend
"It tastes better to me" does not have that ephemeral nature. Tastes can and do change, but in general they do so only very slowly, and rarely to such an extent that what was once hated becomes loved, or vice versa. Having personally experienced such a thing, I know it does happen, but it's rare and (in general) the result of revealing a long-hidden truth or the like.

This isn't to disagree with your general point, but when it comes to food there are cases were its extremely common, as there is a change in how human tastebuds work as they age that virtually always creates some change in food preference over time.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Between SF and comic books, I've never seen it used any other way. It's only been in the last year online that I've ever seen the distinction.

Yeah, but that's again probably a fault of early SF using it that way and it spreading out from there. I actually saw people within the SF community talking about it being misapplied decades ago, but it takes things a long time to change when they have a lot of forward momentum.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
This isn't to disagree with your general point, but when it comes to food there are cases were its extremely common, as there is a change in how human tastebuds work as they age that virtually always creates some change in food preference over time.
I was more specifically thinking "I absolutely despise this, and will not ever consume it no matter what" to "I absolutely adore this, it's my favorite food." Such radical change is rare--even in food preferences. Though I do agree that food preferences are a good example of something that can change over time.

One shot at existence, no resurrection, no reincarnation, what you see is what you get, and not be considered "gross".
This is a massive misrepresentation of my words. I said that calling something like that described above "just a robot" is gross. That if you don't have a soul in a world where souls exist you're a lesser being, you're "just a robot." That idea is gross.

I would argue there is a difference, actually. "Just because" is capricious, borne from genuinely no value or interest.
It is not inherently capricious. If you interpret it as such, that's as much on you as the speaker. The solution here is to not assume capriciousness without a real reason to. Don't make assumptions.

Remove ads