Comic sales - Need advice and help

Harmon

First Post
frankthedm said:
Harmon, I am sorry to break this to you, but even a decent collection of late bronze and iron age comics won't get anywhere as much as you thought the would when you were collecting them. The comic market basically crashed in the time frame you were collecting. You probly have some gems, but don't count on too great of a windfall.

Oh, I have no illusions about how much I am gonna make a month on this venture :( .

We need money, really bad, and I need to get rid of my collection.

I quit working to raise our daughter, when I did that our second mortgage started eating itself.

Why do we have a second? A few years back I got hurt really bad, medical bills weren't all covered by work comp and the pay out for it was about 1/3th the bills that I had accumulated. I went from working year round/11 months a year to working just three/four months a year (because of the injury and because I had a bad name for suing a much beloved company in the area).

In the end we will more then likely lose our home, and have to move into an apartment where there will be no room for said collection. Heart breaking as all this is I understand the reality of the situation, and the value of my once beloved books.

Reality is chomping at my rear and it hurts cause I can't grab it by the throat and strangle it while pounding on its face. Instead I smile, and cry. :(

I suppose none of you wanted to know any of that- never mind, thanks for contributing, and thank you for.... I don't know, thanks. :\

<deep breath> Peace all, have fun, smile, and love those around you.

Dannyalcatraz said:
If you actually make enough money to itemize your taxes, there is another option: donate them to a charity like a local children's or veteran's hospital. This has 2 effects:

1) You don't have to worry about being in a glutted market (like I do).

2) While you don't get the cash, you do get the full appraised value of the donation as a tax credit.

This is the path I'm taking- my collection takes up the equivalent of a Hummer H1 in volume, so I'm donating about 2/3 of it to charities as yet to be named.

THAT is an excellent idea.

Remove ads