D&D 5E Comic-Style Play (looking for suggestions)

Laurefindel

Legend
I'm starting a new game (as DM) based on a comic-strip (graphic novel really) set in the world of Eberron.

For this game I am departing from my usual "more-medieval-than-the-usual-D&D" style toward a more pulp action, comic-style approach. In the graphic novel, characters (both heroes and villains) get beat-up, knocked down, wounded, knocked out, seriously wounded, and then get-up in the next scene visibly injured but otherwise functional.

This works perfectly within the abstract hit point system, but I'm looking for a way that emulates the fact that major characters and villains can be defeated (if only long enough for their opponent to run away) without being necessarily killed. In other words, I'm looking for a houserule that redefines what happens when a character reaches 0 hp. Ideally, death should still a possible outcome (just not the only one), and temporarily debilitating injuries could be a thing. The setting is rich (and could be made richer if necessary) in potions, drugs, stimulants, prosthesis etc. to overcome what would otherwise be too heavy for my regular type of campaign.

I took notes from the various hp threads, but I'm curious to know what you would suggest for this game specifically (not necessarily any D&D game). I'm also open to other suggestions pertaining to that genre.

'findel

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I'm starting a new game (as DM) based on a comic-strip (graphic novel really) set in the world of Eberron.

For this game I am departing from my usual "more-medieval-than-the-usual-D&D" style toward a more pulp action, comic-style approach. In the graphic novel, characters (both heroes and villains) get beat-up, knocked down, wounded, knocked out, seriously wounded, and then get-up in the next scene visibly injured but otherwise functional.

This works perfectly within the abstract hit point system, but I'm looking for a way that emulates the fact that major characters and villains can be defeated (if only long enough for their opponent to run away) without being necessarily killed. In other words, I'm looking for a houserule that redefines what happens when a character reaches 0 hp. Ideally, death should still a possible outcome (just not the only one), and temporarily debilitating injuries could be a thing. The setting is rich (and could be made richer if necessary) in potions, drugs, stimulants, prosthesis etc. to overcome what would otherwise be too heavy for my regular type of campaign.

I'd go with the default assumption that 1) all damage to anything not defined as a mook is non-lethal, at least the final blow, and 2) its only lethal is both player and DM agree that this is The Final Showdown.

I took notes from the various hp threads, but I'm curious to know what you would suggest for this game specifically (not necessarily any D&D game). I'm also open to other suggestions pertaining to that genre.

Mutants and Masterminds defaults to non-lethal damage as the default assumption. Sure the Hulk literally punched Magneto six blocks through four buildings, but Magneto only "knocked out" rather than dead. It also assume most mooks go down in one hit, assuming they get hit. This help to speed along combat and make it feel much more dynamic and comicbookish.

M&M has a save system rather than HP so you might want to use an ability check based on maybe their Con score to determine if they go down or not. I'd use maybe any damage roll that is higher than the Con score rolls a save at whatever you think is fair and if it fails the mook is out. This helps keep most creatures be a threat for a least a round or two, and particularly large beasties with high Cons be a threat longer.

I'd only do this for opponents you want to define as easy to defeat, so you can have lots of opponents supporting a boss.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Same here. Attack are always non-lethal. Finishing off an enemy requires a full action. When my players reach 3 failed death saves, they decide if their character is dead or broken. In either case, the character cannot continue their adventures.

Tony Vargas

Legend

So... like D&D, then? ;)

This works perfectly within the abstract hit point system, but I'm looking for a way that emulates the fact that major characters and villains can be defeated (if only long enough for their opponent to run away) without being necessarily killed. In other words, I'm looking for a houserule that redefines what happens when a character reaches 0 hp.
A simple/obvious one could be to let the character dropping the creature to 0 decide what they want to do - kill/KO/maim/whatever.

Another possibility might be to allow a special combat option against an enemy that is sufficiently far below their max hp, a "knock down" maybe, the point of which is not to defeat them, but to allow the party to get away before they recover. The mechanic could be comparable to Sleep, a larger-than-usual-damage attack, that, if it exceeds the target's remaining hps, imposes a condition.
That condition might be something like "cannot attack/pursue fleeing enemies."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hm.

Consider: It requires a use of Inspiration to finish off a villain. So, Moriartus the Evil Warlock falls off a cliff. Spend Inspiration to be sure he never returns.

Alternatively, allowing villains to have Inspiration- that if they can spend to avoid death.

Laurefindel

Legend
I expected a few "it ain't broken, don't fix it" but for the moment, I persist.

Actually, I'm more concerned about PCs than villains. In my other campaigns, I disliked the wack-a-mole effect of PCs doing down to 0 hp and back up fresh as a rose (lower hp notwithstanding) after being restored 1 hp. I found it cheapens the drama, and although I'm actually quite ok with D&D's abstract hp mechanics, this is its weakest point IMO in a more realistic narrative.

In this game on the other hand, I want to embrace the wack-a-mole. It fits with the genre. Characters go down during a fight and then get back up. Why? Because the fight is over, the bad guys has gotten away or completed his nefarious deed or whatever. No cleric or magic required.

Still, I don't want to remove the threat of death completely, and don't mind including injuries because again, the genre allows it. I haven't found the right balance however. If injuries have no effect you might as well not have them. If they are too debilitating they are just no fun at all.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward a houserule whereas successful death saves bring you back up to 1 hp (with penalties?), but I'm also contemplating doing something with HD, or allowing everyone a short rest at the end of an encounter, regardless whether you were reduce to 0 hp or not. There are many ideas on the table ATM.

Oofta

Legend
Why not just introduce a new version of short rest? It's something other people have suggested, take a quick break of 15 minutes and spend HD to recuperate. If you really want to you can also make drinking a healing potion a bonus action and/or say that if a PC fails 3 death saves they're in a coma until they get a rest or magical healing.

Beyond that, I'd just follow standard rules.

Weiley31

Legend
Hm.

Consider: It requires a use of Inspiration to finish off a villain. So, Moriartus the Evil Warlock falls off a cliff. Spend Inspiration to be sure he never returns.

Alternatively, allowing villains to have Inspiration- that if they can spend to avoid death.

Or just have it where no matter what, Moriartus doesn't die during Season 1. He's supposed to die Midway through Season 2 ya know.

Tony Vargas

Legend
In this game on the other hand, I want to embrace the wack-a-mole. It fits with the genre. ... No cleric or magic required...Still, I don't want to remove the threat of death completely, and don't mind including injuries because again, the genre allows it. I haven't found the right balance however. If injuries have no effect you might as well not have them. If they are too debilitating they are just no fun at all.
FATE does a routine where an injury persists for a number of subsequent scenes. It's not precisely a penalty, but a temporary trait that can be 'tagged' by the GM, to pull stuff.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward a houserule whereas successful death saves bring you back up to 1 hp (with penalties?), but I'm also contemplating doing something with HD, or allowing everyone a short rest at the end of an encounter, regardless whether you were reduce to 0 hp or not. There are many ideas on the table ATM.
Those sound good. Letting a character roll HD when they make a successful death save, or when they receive some sort of attention from an ally wouldn't be unreasonable, either.

It's certainly possible to shift D&D to a more encounter-oriented dynamic, too. Just divide the number of resources characters have by the number of encounters expected between the rests they're keyed to, and then those resources can be available in every encounter.

Weiley31

Legend

'findel

That's already default DND though. The PCs have the magical duct tape to make everything comic book already. Unless ya use the DMG Gritty Rules.

Remove ads