D&D 5E Common rules mistakes

Paraxis

Explorer
I don't agree with that statement though. Extra attacks do not say anything about having to be on your turn. They just say whenever you make an attack action you may do another attack. If you are readying an attack action , you should get every attack. Otherwise there is no incentive for fighters to ever Ready an attack.

Sure it does.
EXTRA ATTACK
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

I mean I missed it too, but there it is in the rules clear as day. A character with extra attack might be less inclined to ready an action but it is still sometime the only way to deal with some creatures, like flyers if you don't have a ranged weapon.

The limit on extra attacks with readied actions is probably intended to be balanced against the concentration requirement for readied spells--so that it isn't just one type of character that gets targeted with a readied action restriction.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The limit on extra attacks with readied actions is probably intended to be balanced against the concentration requirement for readied spells--so that it isn't just one type of character that gets targeted with a readied action restriction.

Also to stop "initiative shenanigans."

No, you can't take your turn later in the round. Either do it now, or don't do it, no sense in trying to bunch up. If you don't have anything you want to do right now, go ahead and ready something, but don't expect it to be a full turn.

Fanaelialae

Legend

It's interesting to note that the rogue essentially gets a pass on this limitation, since they can sneak attack once per turn. The rogue in my campaign uses this to great advantage, moving up to an enemy and readying an action to attack it as soon as one of her allies engages the creature.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Also to stop "initiative shenanigans."

No, you can't take your turn later in the round. Either do it now, or don't do it, no sense in trying to bunch up. If you don't have anything you want to do right now, go ahead and ready something, but don't expect it to be a full turn.

I don't really get why that's a good thing... I mean I get that initiative changes add complexity, but not allowing them makes things a bit... bizarre.

I don't really get why that's a good thing... I mean I get that initiative changes add complexity, but not allowing them makes things a bit... bizarre.

It does take a bit of getting use to coming from 3e or 4e, but I think my group is close to getting the hang of it. We'll see how it works out once we are fully use to it.

S

Sunseeker

I don't agree with that statement though. Extra attacks do not say anything about having to be on your turn. They just say whenever you make an attack action you may do another attack. If you are readying an attack action , you should get every attack. Otherwise there is no incentive for fighters to ever Ready an attack.

The incentive for fighters to ready attacks is board control, not dpr.

I kinda suspect the concentration requirement is more just a logical thing from being focused on the spell. At least the casters still gets their full damage output.

Last edited:

ProphetSword

Explorer
But what if you ready your action to attack when the caster begins casting a spell...

I imagine you can't do that. Even the Player's Handbook makes that clear:

"When the trigger occurs, you can either take your reaction right after the trigger finishes or ignore the trigger." (PHB, pg.193)

It's pretty clear that you have to wait until after the spell is cast. Only certain reactions have the ability to interrupt the action (like Opportunity Attacks), and it is usually spelled out in the description.

Remove ads