D&D 5E Companion Thread to 5E Survivor of Many Things

What is your favorite card from the standard deck of many things?

• Balance - Change alignment instantly.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eurayle - Gain a penalty on all saving throws henceforth.

• Fool - Lose experience points and you must draw again.

• Jester - Gain experience points or two more draws from the deck.

• Key - Gain a magic weapon.

• Star - Immediately gain a bonus to one ability score.

• Sun - Gain a beneficial magic item and experience points.

• The Void - Body functions, but soul is trapped elsewhere.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hmmm... So he can create an object that can provide 1-4 wishes but doesn't have the wish spell himself? Hmmm...
Who says he doesn't have wish as a spell?

Note I'm typing small-a artificer here, as in a person who makes and enchants artifacts as either profession or (in this case) hobby; as opposed to big-A Artificer which is the 5e class.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Who says he doesn't have wish as a spell?

Note I'm typing small-a artificer here, as in a person who makes and enchants artifacts as either profession or (in this case) hobby; as opposed to big-A Artificer which is the 5e class.
Sure, but artificer was a kit in 2E. They got access to make a lot of things, but I don't think the DoMT was among them. I like making it a minor artifact created by my campaign's Loki or Raven or Jack O'Bedlam equivalent -- strange and using powers beyond mere mortal artificers!

JoeyD473

Adventurer
I am a little late to the party but I am guessing the winner is probably going to to be a major benefit to parties like wish (presuming the DM isn't one who always monkey paws them) Which I understand but my favorite as oth DM and player is Throne. It literally creates an adventure for the party

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I am a little late to the party but I am guessing the winner is probably going to to be a major benefit to parties like wish (presuming the DM isn't one who always monkey paws them) Which I understand but my favorite as oth DM and player is Throne. It literally creates an adventure for the party
What Throne instantly creates for the party is a potential home base, provided the owning character is willing to share the space and-or allow expansions to be built on.

It got my vote.

RealAlHazred

A while back I tried to definitively find all of the various decks of many things variants that have been published, even in games beyond D&D. I no longer remember all of them, but two stuck in my mind:
  • The deck of fate for the Palladium Fantasy RPG, from The Rifter #13 (Jan 2001) had 34 cards. It was very imaginative, including variants of the standard DoMT, but also several new cards that had interesting effects. Variants of the original cards include: The Ancient (variant Vizier), The Beggar (variant Ruin), The Castle (variant Throne), The Claw (variant Donjon), Death (variant Skull), The Eye (variant Flames), The Gem, Joker, The Star, and The Sun. New cards are: Ahnk [sic], The Angel, The Basilisk, The Black Cat, The Dragon, The Dream, The Dyvil, The Eclipse, The Elf, The Faerie, The Fruit, The Gate, The Golem, The Jilted Lovers, The Jinn, The Lovers, The Moon, The Mount, The Soul, Suicide, Syvan, Taunt, Waning, and Waxing. The illustration of the chest of fate (the deck box for the cards) on page 38 showing three cards (presumably The Eye, Death, and The Dragon) is pretty good, and there are illustrations depicting the results of drawing The Dragon, Death, The Jinn, The Claw, and The Basilisk distributed throughout the article.
  • The deck of fickle fortune was from The Original, Revised & Expanded Tegel Manor by Gamescience (1989). Designed and illustrated by Niels Erickson, this was a deck of 22 cards with a few similar names but original effects, and the effects varied depending on whether the cards were upright or reversed. Most of the effects were more minor than the deck of many things, making it more suitable for inclusion into most campaigns. The cards included: The Candle, The Chalice, The Coin, The Enchantress, Fortune’s Wheel, The Jester, The King, The Knight, The Lady, The Mage, The Masque, The Moon, Old Night (The Dark), The Prince, The Princess, The Queen, The Quill, The Star, The Sun, Sun Eclipsed, The Sword, and The Wand. I loved Niels Erickson's little illustration of three cards (presumably The Lady, The Mage, and The Knight) next to the item description on page 38 -- very evocative!

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

I almost always give my players the DoMT with the exception of player they won't use it. Anything that is random and they don't have complete control of they won't use.and also if it is a single use item, with the exception of healing potions, won't use in case they need it later. As i said I have one player who will use it but the others keep it from him (except the one time he was the rogue and stole it back during his watch at night. drew two cards Gem and Star the other players were so pissed
You might get some mileage from the "House of Cards" scenario I mentioned in post #8, then. You literally cannot proceed through the dungeon without "drawing" cards! Alternatively, if you prefer not to railroad, you can try the fan-made 5E update of Madness at Gardmore Abbey, where the players can be strategic about the cards.

JoeyD473

Adventurer
You might get some mileage from the "House of Cards" scenario I mentioned in post #8, then. You literally cannot proceed through the dungeon without "drawing" cards! Alternatively, if you prefer not to railroad, you can try the fan-made 5E update of Madness at Gardmore Abbey, where the players can be strategic about the cards.
Admittedly now a days I just torture them by giving it to them, then theycomplain I don't give them magic items and I say yes I do, you just choose to to use them

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads