D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XV: The FINAL ROUND)

Clint_L

Hero
Tagging in, the final list is suprising in many aspects, this is going to be an interesting competition so I’m keen to see the debate…
Surprising in the sense that most of those sub-classes are lame? I saw the list and assumed that was the point; that people were taking the piss.

Aldarc

Legend
Yep. Not saying they can't be fun if that is what you like to play, I just think there are other subclasses better representative of clerics and it bothered me that Tempest won because the vote wasn't done correctly, which is why I have been tracking all the other survivor threads ever since--to keep the numbers accurate and ensure the correct subclass actually wins.
If what was most representative subclass should win, then over half the subclasses in the finals should be there.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Surprising in the sense that most of those sub-classes are lame? I saw the list and assumed that was the point; that people were taking the piss.
I think it's less snark and more the nature of how this works: every outlier, no matter the quality is deleted instantly, then anything that is a threat to personal favorites, which means they're other peoples' personal favorites, so those get wiped out. So at the end, it's the most middle of the road choices left in the finals.

Notice how the classes where good options won are classes with just strong all around design like the Rogue or Bard, or ones where there was always a Single Obvious Choice, like Fighter or Artificer. Anything with a spread ended up with something wonky in the final slot.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Folks on ENWorld: "We demand psionics in 5E!"
WotC: does literally anything involving psionics
Folks on ENWorld: "Augh! No, not like that!"

The poor Mystic. It was a solid class, and the best attempt at adding psionics to 5E that we ever got to see (and will likely ever see again.) Alas, it never got a fair shake...the word "psionics" means too many different things to too many different people, so there can never be a satisfied majority on how it should be implemented.

Regarding psionics, most agree that it would be nice to have...but that's the only thing most will agree on.

Last edited:

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Cleric's my second after Wizard because the 5e Cleric is utterly boring.
Little curious as to why you think this? The 5e cleric has more unique abilities than almost any other previous edition afaict (prolly not more than 4e because of how 4e was structured). Not that that guarantees non-boringness or anything, but...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sounds to me like a lot of people are downvoting classes because they're butthurt that their particular favorite subclass didn't win in that category. Which I guess is pretty typical.
That'll be the second wave of downvoting.

The first wave will be people eliminating things that they believe "don't belong in D&D," like psions, artificers, and anything from Unearthed Arcana. Now that they Mystic is gone, I expect a dogpile on the Artificer and maybe the Monk (although the Monk has become more acceptable nowadays than it was back in the 3.X days.)

But then after those are gone? Yeah, the butthurt will be the main driver. "The College of Lore was the inferior choice and I'll prove it!"

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I’m downvoting fighter because I said I would after the fighter survivor thread, and I’m a gal of my word. 😁
Me looking at the bard like
claws GIF

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases