D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XV: The FINAL ROUND)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Short of just not running the game, I have to disagree.
Everything is subject to fiat to a degree. Some is just more subject to it than others.
DM fiat is subject to player acceptance. When my PC gains a level, I choose what my PC gains as far as features, etc. If, prior to playing, the DM limits something and I agree to that limitation, then that is on me. If I choose not to, I can find another DM or just run my own game.
Sure. You can always leave the game.
DM fiat goes a long way, certainly, but if I decide to use Second Wind on my turn as my bonus action, there is really nothing the DM can do about it.
Unless the DM has set the room up so that healing is not possible for some reason. There's no such ability set up in the game, so the DM created it by fiat and put it into the dungeon. That would be a legitimate fiat reason for your Second Wind not to work. Now it's very hard to use fiat to in good faith stop something like Second Wind, but it's possible.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Everything is subject to fiat to a degree.
No, it isn't.

My PC gains a level and so I gain hit points. The DM cannot stop me gaining hit points when my character gains a level.

Unless the DM has set the room up so that healing is not possible for some reason.
That is not DM fiat. That is setting up the encounter.

Anyway, as always, not going to argue with you about it further. You think what you want and so will I. Cheers.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, it isn't.

My PC gains a level and so I gain hit points. The DM cannot stop me gaining hit points when my character gains a level.
The DM controls the pace of leveling and if you ever do. He doesn't have to use experience points, so fights aren't an entitlement to level up.
That is not DM fiat. That is setting up the encounter.
He created the ability though through DM fiat, though. He decreed that it exists now and it does. DM fiat isn't something that only exists in the moment of a ruling
Anyway, as always, not going to argue with you about it further. You think what you want and so will I. Cheers.
Fair enough. :)

As @TwoSix I believe said, there are a lot of people (myself included) with axes to grind in this final round. Some are up/down-voting with little regard to whether the subclass is good or bad, but just because they like/dislike the class it is attached to. This finale is pretty dirty.
I'll admit that I downvoted the Sorcerer because I didn't enjoy it the three times I played one even though I never played the Divine Soul and don't really have anything against it thematically or mechanically.

I'm pretty much the opposite with the Bard. I think it's a good class but the Lore Bard is the last subclass I'd want to play out of everything remaining. Not sure where my down votes will go after Lore though. Not a lot of strong feelings for most of these.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'll admit that I downvoted the Sorcerer because I didn't enjoy it the three times I played one even though I never played the Divine Soul and don't really have anything against it thematically or mechanically.
One of my players is playing an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer right now and he seems to be having a great time.
I'm pretty much the opposite with the Bard. I think it's a good class but the Lore Bard is the last subclass I'd want to play out of everything remaining. Not sure where my down votes will go after Lore though. Not a lot of strong feelings for most of these.
I'm downvoting the Kensai since it should be a fighter subclass and not monk. Beyond that I haven't decided which to go after next. It's the only one that I really have anything against.

One of my players is playing an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer right now and he seems to be having a great time.
Ultimately, I didn't like the way Metamagic worked combined with the limited spells known (I played Storm, Wild Magic, and Draconic) so Aberrant would solve one of those issues. It just never worked for me and I hope the class gets some interesting changes once 1D&D hits.
I'm downvoting the Kensai since it should be a fighter subclass and not monk. Beyond that I haven't decided which to go after next. It's the only one that I really have anything against.
Growing up with the Baldur's Gate games I always viewed the Kensai as a Fighter subclass as well. I appreciate what it does for the Monk in terms of being something different and Sharpen the Blade is maybe the best 3 Ki you'll ever spend so I don't hate it. But I'd make it a Fighter subclass if I had the power.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I do have things I could say in response @Shadowdweller00 but I feel the conversation has gotten sufficiently off-topic that it would not be wise to continue. Again, I want to thank you for your respectful discussion and openness; it's been most refreshing compared to the usual way discussions on this topic plays out.
Could always set up a new thread when/if you feel like it. Presuming I haven't missed such a thing already :oops:
Or not.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Looking back over the past week, the School of Abjuration has endured 41 downvotes (and counting). And of those 41 downvotes, more than a third of them were from Battle Master fans alone.

I might have to suspend my campaign against the College of Lore for a minute.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I don't understand why "DM fiat" is seen as such a dirty word (or given the extremely condescending label of "Mother-May-I"). The conversation between the players and the DM, and the DM playing the role as final arbitrator, is why I play RPGs. There's obviously a lot to be said for player agency, but I think the drive the limit the amount of times that DM has to adjudicate something is an extremely wrong-headed one.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I don't understand why "DM fiat" is seen as such a dirty word (or given the extremely condescending label of "Mother-May-I"). The conversation between the players and the DM, and the DM playing the role as final arbitrator, is why I play RPGs.
Because for some people, the 'conversation' is 'I wear the daddy pants, shut up and do what I say'.

Remove ads