D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XV: The FINAL ROUND)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yikes, ya'll need to calm down. Someone disagreeing with you isn't the same thing as being condescending. Some people DO have different ideas about what is fun and balanced. And some people DO have considerably more experience than others. It's not an indictment.

I've played wizards before (most recently an Abjurer, but I've also played an Illusionist and a Necromancer) and I never felt like I made a poor choice. I have never felt that a wizard was a bad character class: not bad in the sense of being too powerful or not powerful enough, not bad in the sense of having too many spells or not enough, not bad in the sense of their spells being too focused or too versatile, not bad compared to (insert character class here). The worst thing I can say about it is that it's not as fun to play as the Warlock in my opinion, but "because it's not a warlock" is a pretty weak condemnation. I think the wizard is a good character class, and I understand why it's so iconic.

This isn't internet theory-crafting from the same three people on the Internet; this is my personal experience with playing the class over the years. And we clearly have had very different experiences with playing this class. It doesn't mean my experience is better than your experience; it just means they aren't compatible. We are never going to agree, and we need to be okay with that.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Yikes, ya'll need to calm down. Someone disagreeing with you isn't the same thing as being condescending. Some people DO have different ideas about what is fun and balanced. And some people DO have considerably more experience than others. It's not an indictment.

I've played wizards before (most recently an Abjurer, but I've also played an Illusionist and a Necromancer) and I never felt like I made a poor choice. I have never felt that a wizard was a bad character class: not bad in the sense of being too powerful or not powerful enough, not bad in the sense of having too many spells or not enough, not bad in the sense of their spells being too focused or too versatile, not bad compared to (insert character class here). The worst thing I can say about it is that it's not as fun to play as the Warlock in my opinion, but "because it's not a warlock" is a pretty weak condemnation. I think the wizard is a good character class, and I understand why it's so iconic.

This isn't internet theory-crafting from the same three people on the Internet; this is my personal experience with playing the class over the years. And we clearly have had very different experiences with playing this class. It doesn't mean my experience is better than your experience; it just means they aren't compatible. We are never going to agree, and we need to be okay with that.
Am I wrong, then, that Wizards (and spellcasters generally, but Wizards are the most intense demonstration thereof) are specifically encouraged to minimize the amount of time they spend in the "I have no spells" state?

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
So. What does it mean for "magic [to] feel magical"?

The statement is too ambiguous to discuss, and thus prone to generating frustration and difficulty rather than productive talk. Hence: what does it take for "magic [to] feel magical"? Why is it that being able to shoot fire from your fingertips several times a day is "magical," but being able to do it most of the time is not "magical"?

My tone is somewhat harsh here, and for that I apologize. But without really drilling down and getting specific answers on this, it's worse than a dead end for discussion, it specifically pushes things toward being at one another's throats. I'd rather be blunt and try to cut such problems off well in advance.
I likewise apologize if my response came out harsh or as a "you're doing it wrong" sort of thing? Harsh doesn't phase me, personally.

In answer to your question: It may just be a matter of my personal perceptions, really. Magic just feels more...special...or believable (versimilitudinous?) when there are usage limits on it to me. There ARE balance considerations as well, which I cited. It breaks my subconscious perception of thermodynamics and thus suspension of disbelief to be able to conjure fuel-less fire or acid from nothing all day long without apparent energy source or limits. From a dramatic standpoint, I think physical damage resistance and regeneration should be terrifying to a foe. And with how easy they are to bypass in 5e, even completely inadvertently, with basic, no-cost energy cantrips they just aren't.

A +1 sword isn't terribly exciting if everyone and their mother has one sitting in their desk drawer. But it becomes much more exciting if it is rare, difficult to obtain, and/or is the key to defeating the horrible, invulnerable monsters that are bearing down on your village. Even if the idea of a weapon-use cantrip or spell is still magic, it doesn't trigger the same sense of wonder-dilution to me personally (as flying energy bolts). It just feels more mundane. YMMV, naturally.

Progressing from "I like things this other way" to pushing things things at another's throat is more of an... individual choice afaict.

If you could hit with them. Wizard AC might not have been very low, but Wizard attack tables/THAC0 values weren't that good either. Which was part of my point above. The outright design intent of the 1e/2e Magic-User/Wizard was that it would be incredibly powerful when it had a useful spell, but spells were supposed to be narrow in utility and rare in supply so the Wizard would have to ration out their phenomenal cosmic power. In practice, this just created incentives to (a) develop new spells that were generally useful or acquire already existing powerful and near-universal spells like fly, haste, and invisibility; and to (b) minimize as much as possible any time spent firing crossbows, aka the 5MWD and spending a spell or two to obviate problems long before they could show up (e.g. food/water, shelter, transportation, communication, etc.)
Yes, it did. And there would ultimately come a point in level progression where magic-users would be casting powerful magic all day long. But in practical levels and situations, there would often occasionally be fights where the caster would not want to waste spells. Or where a whole bunch of minions got in the caster's face and put a lockdown on slower (e.g. non-blasting) spells. That was usually when the dagger or darts came out.
In other words, the Magic-User/Wizard is taught, by the rules of the game, to reject the two intended constraints on the Wizard: do everything you can to get the most broadly-applicable spells you can find, so that you will never be in a situation where you have spells prepared but none of them are useful, and do everything you can to regain your spells as frequently as possible, so that your spells are not a rare resource but instead a reliable one. (The two also synergize: if you do get caught with a prepared spell you have no use for, resting is how you switch to a spell that would be useful.)
Often found similar things going on with non-casters and more mundane objects and abilities in 1e/2e myself. The thief using flour or rolling barrels along the floor to find secret doors, traps. Greasing the steps with soap or shoe polish. Vomiting up stomach acid (pardon the image) to stop the troll from coming back to life. Seemed like that was the base expectation for adventuring, full stop. The flip-side being that more widely applicable spells or tools tended to be less effective for any given purpose. Kind of the DM's responsibility to maintain balance. I like to see my players trying to use things creatively, myself? Doesn't mean I have to let them get away with it every time.

As it happens, spells which allow or facilitate (to an unreasonable degree) a 5mwd are the most likely to suffer DM-side alterations in my games.

But "on the fly" is exactly the thing being discussed. Everyone has always had the ability to tweak the rules openly and outside of play. That benefit has never, not once, in all of TTRPG history, ever been denied, nor could it be, short of outright mind control or violent coercion (aka "putting a gun to someone's head.")

Hence, if something differs, it can only be in the secret sense. I called it "rug pull" and "illusionism" for a very good reason. 5e encourages the DM to change both the rules and the world whenever and however they feel like it. And because it is the "DM empowerment" edition, if the players don't like it, tough crap, they should have had the prescience to know that this would be a bad game and that no gaming is better than bad gaming!
By "on the fly" I meant suddenly giving the BBEG charm immunity or extra HP in response to a particular tactic one wasn't expecting. I'm still not entirely clear on what you mean by "rug pull" or "illusionism" if you're referring to something else?
I hope you realize how condescending this sounds.
Every bit as condescending as the immediate post (not yours) it was in response to I hope.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Every bit as condescending as the immediate post (not yours) it was in response to I hope.
🙄 These sort of veiled attacks are never productive nor do they deescalate conflict.

My point with my angel comment was that many GMs have come here to brag or pat themselves on the back about how their changes made the "game better" or more fun, but I find such claims to be questionable as those impacted by said changes are effectively voiceless. I have no doubt that many GMs I have played with would make similar claims about how their changes to spells and the like make the game more fun, but it's not necessarily the sentiment that I or the other players actually had about said changes that were made for "the better." IME, it's a presumption projected upon players by the GM's sense of self-satisfaction. GMs are more often angels in their stories, but not necessarily the stories of their players. 🤷‍♂️

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Doing so kinda makes the magic feel... less magical... to me?
Agreed. Totally.

This is my biggest issue with damage cantrips. I don't want casters firing pew pew every round. BORING!!!! And yes, it makes magic feel much less magical to me as well, I've pointed this out numerous times on the forum. It is nice to know someone else finally gets that.

Yeah, people respond "shooting crossbows or throwing daggers is BORING" and such, but that is what martials do, so they are basically saying martials are boring.

I hate it when someone plays a cleric and doesn't even need to bother with a weapon. I've literally had a player in Frostmaiden throw their warhammer into icy waters because they realized they didn't need to both carrying it around with them anymore.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I likewise apologize if my response came out harsh or as a "you're doing it wrong" sort of thing? Harsh doesn't phase me, personally.
Thank you. Overall, I found your tone perfectly fine; I don't feel you did anything that warranted an apology, but I very much appreciate that you were willing to give one.

In answer to your question: It may just be a matter of my personal perceptions, really. Magic just feels more...special...or believable (versimilitudinous?) when there are usage limits on it to me. There ARE balance considerations as well, which I cited.
De gustibus non disputandum est, of course, but there are other factors too. Consider Harry Potter's magic system. Does its seem non-magical to you? Perhaps you do, though I fear you'd lose me there. But if you don't, why? It's even more repeatable and powerful than 5e cantrips. Or take Gandalf, who lights his pipe with magic all the time, and could do way more if he didn't obey the Valar (and Eru Ilúvatar by proxy.) Given LOTR is a sort of gold standard for "magical" magic, what is the salient difference?

Cards on table: I think two factors are at play here. First, you know all the magic--it's all listed in the book. With Harry, half the premise is that he's learning what magic can do; with Gandalf, you don't know his limits. Second, the fact that it's your choice. You are a passive witness of Harry and Gandalf; you actively choose D&D spells.

It breaks my subconscious perception of thermodynamics and thus suspension of disbelief to be able to conjure fuel-less fire or acid from nothing all day long without apparent energy source or limits.
But this is different. Magic, by definition, breaks thermodynamics and conservation. Our universe's laws just...aren't laws in a universe with D&D magic. The best you get is something like Newton's laws: excellent approximations in "narrow" cases (that is, when not in Einstein town or Heisen-burg, gosh I'm so punny! :p)

Breaking physical laws just a little bit vs. frequently is a distinction without a difference. Either way, they aren't physical laws anymore, because that's literally what "physical laws" means, that they aren't broken anywhere.

From a dramatic standpoint, I think physical damage resistance and regeneration should be terrifying to a foe. And with how easy they are to bypass in 5e, even completely inadvertently, with basic, no-cost energy cantrips they just aren't.
This I'll grant! But there are wrinkles. Over 100 creatures have (conditional) immunity to nonmagical weapons, and over 280 have conditional resistance. Over 90 have regeneration. Yet if we look at those which have both regeneration and one of those other two...we come up really short, with only five. Two of them are deity-level beings (Juiblex and Tiamat, the latter having no turn-off clause), two (constructs: bone worm and stone juggernaut) don't have a turn-off clause for their regeneration, and only the last ("spirit troll") has such a clause. So...on the one hand, creatures who have all three are essentially non-existent, but creatures who have only one are almost plentiful. This develops into something that is extremely punishing for any party that doesn't have a spellcaster, again creating a situation where it is the spellcaster's best interests that the whole party must align itself around and which the DM must align their whole combat design around.

If magic is going to cause this many problems, doesn't that mean we should (a) re-evaluate how magic is done, so it doesn't cause problems like this, and (b) look for ways to let off the pressure, so that players will be encouraged to do the things we want them to do, to have the thrilling, terrifying experiences you're (implicitly) advocating for?

A +1 sword isn't terribly exciting if everyone and their mother has one sitting in their desk drawer.
Personally, I think this is an artifact of...let's call it insufficient zeal on the part of DMs and players in describing things, rather than any consequence of the item being magical. Because I can make a totally "mundane" sword incredibly special, and I can make an absolutely unique one-of-a-kind powerful sword really boring if I so wish. That's a power that has never been taken from DMs. Consider:

As you lift the sword, you instantly feel the art that the forgemaster put into its making. The balance is impeccable, even while in the scabbard, which feels almost weightless and yet incredibly sturdy on its own. You draw the blade, and it fair hums as it leaps from its sheath. Gleaming Arkhosian steel, unblemished by the ages. This was no ordinary soldier's blade: it was clearly made for a cavalry officer, as marked by the three cranes, delicately carved into the blade and filled with beautiful sky-blue mythril wirework inlay. Though the sword would be large even in the hands of a full two-meter-tall dragonborn, it is in no way clumsy, and can be wielded single-handed or two-handed as you like. Your skill with a longsword would serve you well with this much more imposing blade; alternatively, you could eschew your shield, and truly bring the pain to your foes.

Vs.

It's a +4 Cold Iron Holy Avenger. Probably the only +4 weapon ever made, anywhere.

Had I reversed these, the latter would have the lavish descriptions that bring an item to life, and the former would have been "it is a longsword that deals 1d10 damage (versatile 2d6), and counts as a greatsword for feat purposes when wielded with both hands." The item being "magical" isn't, and never was, rooted in the mechanics thereof. It is, and always was, rooted in the attention it gets, the descriptions. Meaning, narrative weight, and purpose: these are the things which create "magical" feeling. Mechanics will always be "meh"chanics without that.

Progressing from "I like things this other way" to pushing things things at another's throat is more of an... individual choice afaict.
It's a metaphor for how knock-down, drag-out this sort of conversation becomes.

Yes, it did. And there would ultimately come a point in level progression where magic-users would be casting powerful magic all day long. But in practical levels and situations, there would often occasionally be fights where the caster would not want to waste spells. Or where a whole bunch of minions got in the caster's face and put a lockdown on slower (e.g. non-blasting) spells. That was usually when the dagger or darts came out.
Sure, but again, the problem is and has always been that the Wizard's player has some control over whether this happens--and to what degree when it does. Hence, they have every reason, even if they want what is best for the party, to behave selfishly: to set up situations so that they will always have the most spells possible, and to minimize, mitigate, or montage their way out of situations where they don't have any (relevant) spells available. That is the fundamental incentive of the existing Vancian spellcasting rules, and it is an incentive which points away from the intended experience of play, whether one desires Old School "High Gygaxian" murderhole dungeon-heistery or New School "High-Flying Action" fantastical set-pieces, or basically anything else that isn't specifically Casters & Caddies.

We can do better--and we can ask WotC to do better. We can ask for a game that doesn't reward players for blowing their entire spell slot load in 1-3 encounters and then expecting a rest. That is an achievable goal. We just need to have the will, and the patience, to pursue it.

Seemed like that was the base expectation for adventuring, full stop.
And there are various ways to encourage players to think in this way. Giving them the incentive to do so--making it not only fun but rewarding--is one of the best ways to accomplish that. Well, that and finding ways to make it so the things the players are enthusiastic about also just so happen (read: framing scenes) to make such "mundane item" stuff the path of least resistance to reaching or seeing the things they're enthusiastic about.

The flip-side being that more widely applicable spells or tools tended to be less effective for any given purpose.
In an absolutely abstract sense, I agree, but D&D magic isn't abstract. Fly is generally useful for anyone. Chromatic orb is a guaranteed spell pick for anyone who can get it, because it's extremely versatile. Invisibility is both powerful and widely-applicable (there's a reason Plato used the Allegory of the Ring.) And with the way 5e does Rituals, you don't even need to sacrifice spell slots to have a number of useful, powerful spells on tap whenever you need them, so long as you have 10 minutes to spare.

Kind of the DM's responsibility to maintain balance.
Given the significant responsibilities already hung upon the DM's shoulders, I would prefer to mitigate this as much as possible. It is doable.

I like to see my players trying to use things creatively, myself? Doesn't mean I have to let them get away with it every time.
Okay, but how do you then deal with the players' perfectly legitimate response of "why did this work before, in essentially identical circumstances, but it doesn't work now? How is that fair?" This is another reason why I have such a poor opinion of any rules system which, in whole or in part, advocates for "viking hat" DM theory. In putting emphasis on just how absolutely powerful and unlimited the DM is, the game discourages seeking understanding and consensus, and instead pushes dominance and autocracy. But because players pretty obviously don't like being pushed around or denied a choice, the rules(/advice/etc.) must then emphasize sleight of hand and pretense, an attitude of "I know better than you what you actually want," further separating DM from player and cementing counter-productive power relationships.

As it happens, spells which allow or facilitate (to an unreasonable degree) a 5mwd are the most likely to suffer DM-side alterations in my games.
Okay. What about all the non-spell ways to pursue that? How do you keep up a constant, sustained time pressure to prevent such things while still making it remotely plausible? Doing so for a handful of sessions, maybe even an entire adventure, that's plausible. Being under such sustained assault that 3-4 hours of regular resting is totally fine, but 8 hours of resting would be completely unacceptable unless it just cannot be avoided....that's a much bigger ask.

By "on the fly" I meant suddenly giving the BBEG charm immunity or extra HP in response to a particular tactic one wasn't expecting.
That is something multiple users on this very forum have explicitly (in the case of adding HP) said they like that 5e supports them doing.

I'm still not entirely clear on what you mean by "rug pull" or "illusionism" if you're referring to something else?
"Rug pull" is either the part above, where you allow a plan to work on Session 12 but then forbid it on Session 14 for reasons the players either couldn't know in advance, or which they should have known in advance but because you didn't decide on them until Session 14 started, they "knew" something that (in a Doylist sense) "became" untrue. This is something the 5e DMG supports doing.

Illusionism is the DM technique that involves giving the appearance of real choices and consequences for player choices, while actually obviating those choices and giving fixed consequences. The classic example is the "quantum ogre," where the players may choose to go south to the Blue Forest or north to the Black Mountains. They make their choice, and along the way, they are attacked by an ogre. The players will then, quite rationally, think, "Because we went south to the Blue Forest, we encountered an ogre; if we had gone north, we would have avoided it." But this is not true with a DM who practices illusionism, because the DM will put that ogre on whichever path the players choose. This gives the appearance of having choices with consequences, but actually results in a perfectly linear adventure with the only difference being set-dressing. Unlike the previous, where it is more passive support (in the "you literally have to ask your DM if your class features work today, because they might decide they don't" sense), illusionism is much more directly mentioned, e.g. that bit of advice about skipping having a DC entirely and just letting the roll alone determine success (IIRC, it was something like 8 or less fails, 16 or more succeeds, everything in the middle, do whatever you think is best, "your players will never know.")

Not in my opinion. This is, of course, somewhat subjective. But I think it is quite valid to say, "hey, it's real easy to have rose-colored glasses about stuff you've gone through, especially if any concerns that might have come up weren't big enough to be worth mentioning at the time." One of the big foibles of the "never disagree during session" approach is, quite simply, that by the time a disagreement can be broached, things have moved on so much it may not be worth the effort anymore. As a result, issues that aren't addressed when they occur may never get addressed, and it is quite easy to interpret that incorrectly as an absence of issues, rather than deferral-induced abandonment.

Argyle King

Legend
Oddly, I find that I somewhat agree with both sides.

•I see what Ezekiel means by "rug pull," and I also dislike that.

To elaborate: I understand the concept of Rule 0, and I do believe it should exist as a concept. However, I generally dislike when rules are changed mid-session and/or changed in a way which makes it difficult for the player to have a consistent grasp of how the in-game world works. (This is related to why I believe lore is important; fluff and crunch should have a coherent relationship with each other.)

•On the other hand, I also see where Shadow is coming from, in regards to magic not feeling magical enough.

To elaborate: Yes, by definition, magic breaks the normal rules of reality. But, no, that shouldn't mean that magic have any rules at all. Typically, many fantasy stories do have some sort of limitation on spells and powers.

Often, magic use can (and does) physically fatigue the magic user. In some stories, casting takes extra time or extra people to produce more powerful effects. Those are only two examples; there are a variety of ways it is done. Using those examples, there are game systems which offer the choice to push through those limitations and cast anyway, at the cost of risking harm to the caster.

I find that unlimited use of even simple spells is more powerful than most people realize. It May be an unusual analogy, but consider the modern-day smartphone for a moment. Essentially, I have the ability to cast several utility spells (alarm, message, light, and etc) at-will. In my lifetime, that has not always been available. As that ability (via smartphone) became more ubiquitous, it changed the world. Imagine if you could download an app on your phone which would grant the at-will ability to physically harm someone from about 20 meters away.

Ubiquity also does tend to take away some amount of wonder and specialness.

Though, I also believe that part of the "feel" (or not feeling) may come from the vertical structure of constantly needing +N as D&D levels progress. I find it more interesting when a magic sword has a unique ability. However I often find that the game (even with "bounded accuracy") tells me that I should want a bigger +N instead of wanting a sword which can summon 3d4 squirrels, even though I find the latter more interesting.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Imagine if you could download an app on your phone which would grant the at-will ability to physically harm someone from about 20 meters away.
I believe that spell app has existed for some time, though only in wand dedicated device form: tazer.

Ubiquity also does tend to take away some amount of wonder and specialness.
The problem is, spells are by definition ubiquitous already in any game where magic-users are a playable class. Literally the instant you have a book with a list of the existing spells and a class built around using them, spells automatically become ubiquitous. As you continue to play, this form of "wonder and specialness" will always disappear. And even if you can recapture it, it will decay away again--usually faster than before, because there will be preserved patterns (e.g. fireball is OP damage for its spell level because Tradition.)

The only way to address this is to rely on other forms of wonder and specialness which are not subject to this kind of dilution-by-familiarity. Hence my statements above WRT: description and banality. An absolutely unique and powerful item described in a banal way will not be special. A mundane, relatively ordinary (if non-standard) item described in a vibrant and dripping-with-lore way will be special, even though mechanically it's nothing to write home about.

Though, I also believe that part of the "feel" (or not feeling) may come from the vertical structure of constantly needing +N as D&D levels progress. I find it more interesting when a magic sword has a unique ability. However I often find that the game (even with "bounded accuracy") tells me that I should want a bigger +N instead of wanting a sword which can summon 3d4 squirrels, even though I find the latter more interesting.
Believe it or not, 4e actually solved this problem relatively early on. The so-called "Inherent Bonuses" system,* which IIRC was first printed for 4e Dark Sun, makes it so any weapon you pick up is +N, in terms of how effective it is. If you wield a bar stool, it's the equivalent of a +4 bar stool if you are at least level 17, doesn't matter if it's literally the most mundane bar stool in the world, you can wield it with skill. Due to the way magic items worked in 4e, it was almost always still possible to get a "better than inherent bonus" item, e.g. picking up a +3 sword at level 10, but if you genuinely loved your Sword of Squirrel Summoning, you could hold onto it and the difference would be made up for in two levels.

Further, magic item enchanting was intentionally fast and relatively fluid. E.g., if your Fighter had an iconic khopesh he looted from the Pyramid of the Phantom Pharaoh, but he later found an axe he'd never use but which had a cool enchantment, the "enchant a magic item" ritual could be used to transfer the enchantment from the axe to the khopesh (since khopeshes are in the axe and heavy blade weapon groups.) That way, you can either keep your iconic "of Squirrel Summoning" enchantment and pass it to a new, more preferable weapon form/potency, or keep your weapon and apply the "of Gorgonic Gouging" enchantment to it to replace the "of Squirrel Summoning."

Should you ever wish to implement this yourself, the 4e version gave +1 hit and damage at level 5n+2: 2, 7, 12, etc. It also gave +1 to AC and all defenses at level 5n+4: 4, 9, 14, etc. Given 5e has 2/3 as many levels and scales up to magic items *half as large, the calculations will work out a little wonky, but something like level 6, 12, 18 might work. Likewise for AC/save boosters, perhaps level 4, 10, 16?

Scribe

Legend
Agreed. Totally.

This is my biggest issue with damage cantrips. I don't want casters firing pew pew every round. BORING!!!! And yes, it makes magic feel much less magical to me as well, I've pointed this out numerous times on the forum. It is nice to know someone else finally gets that.

Yeah, people respond "shooting crossbows or throwing daggers is BORING" and such, but that is what martials do, so they are basically saying martials are boring.

I hate it when someone plays a cleric and doesn't even need to bother with a weapon. I've literally had a player in Frostmaiden throw their warhammer into icy waters because they realized they didn't need to both carrying it around with them anymore.

Yeah, unpopular opinion but damage cantrips, just replacing 'normal/mundane' ways of contributing, absolutely is one of my least favourite changes to the game, along with how spell prep/slots works now.

Remove ads