• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compelling D&D Images

The Serge

First Post
DRAGON Magazine.

Issue 309.

Page 9. Three bruised, worn, but determined adventurers in the hellish depths of a nameless location. Littered across the floor of the cavern are the remains of the most recents fools who tried to stand against truth, light, and righteousness. The three look ahead, knowing that the end of their quest, and its darkest moment, draws night.

Page 11. Towering over the remains of those impudent, wretched mortal creatures that stupidly seek to overcome their better, the dreaded master of the hellish cavern is prepared. His hulking, reddish body flexes; his tremendous wings unfurl, and his tail twitches eagerly for new blood and new souls. A pair of diabolical eyes peer into the darkness and sees them coming. Coming to meet their doom.

Page 13. The three heroes act in unison. The gnomish arcanist draws on the might of the skies, causing bolts of lightning to surge from his extended hands! The elven ranger issues her defying war-cry, her two swords cutting the air! And the human druid calls on the power of Nature itself. All unleash their powers, their gifts, against one of the Cosmos' greatest horrors, the Pit Fiend. It's prepared to meet these heroes, calling up hellish flames and diabolical reserves. Even as the Fiend's bloodied, taloned hand fills with flames, even as the lightning thunders across the cavern, even as Nature answers the call of her servant, even as swords glisten in holy light, these two forces, heroic and villainous, poise to clash. The very foundations will shudder as they collide, leaving one question.

Are you game?

Those three images are perhaps the three greatest images that define D&D to me. Although there are certainly others (like Tordek in the red dragon's mouth, or the heroes gathered around the corpse of a small green dragon, or a "dungeon master" opening double doors, behind which lie all kinds of possibilities) these are the most recent images that capture D&D specifically, and heroic, genre fantasy in general. By Wayne Reynolds, one of my favorite D&D artists, if you haven't seen these three promo pieces for 3.5, keep a look out for them (they're also in the most recent DUNGEON.

What're the most compelling images you've seen that define fantasy/D&D?

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Red OD&D set: the Otus painting of a mustached fighter and a wizardess battling a green dragon in a dungeon pool.

1st Ed PHB: The troll winding up the spool of twine laid down by a bearded adventurer in a dungeon.

Keep on the Borderlands cover: a bunch of low-level characters battling a bunch of goblins.

And the best one:
In Search of the Unknown cover: two Fighting Men, a Wizard, and a Dwarf exploring a weird fungal forest.
http://www.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-b1-alt.htm

dd-b1-alt.jpg

That's still my all-time favorite mod, by the way.

-z

Darth Shoju

First Post
D&D pics...

This is the one that does it for me (or at least one of quite a few pics I can think of):

Attachments

• dragonslayers.jpg
    dragonslayers.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,545

JeffB

Legend
Agreed. Though I'm not a huge fan of 3E and the current WOTC "look" of the game, when I saw those ads, I immediately got a very good nostalgic feeling. It was quite funny, as none of the current art does that to me.

In fact I felt like that issue of Dragon looked and "felt" more like an old pre-100 issue of Dragon than anything in awhile.

As far as a list of what images best represent the game to me? I can think of dozens...

let me think about it and I'll get back to ya :D

The Serge

First Post
Someone included one of the pictures to which I referred in the first post, the Elmore painting that graced the first pages of the 2ed PH.

Well, below's a link to another powerful image that defined D&D for me during 2ed. It's by Keith Parkinson and it impressed me so much that I used it as the first divider for the Monstrous Compendium for 2ed. Although he has an appropriate name for it, I have two:

1. Can you dig it?

2. Ahhh, $###...

The Great Red Dragon

Sejs

First Post
my favourite part of that red dragon pic has always been the intact ship in the corner, behind the lizard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads