• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compelling D&D Images

Turgenev

Hero
I quite liked some of Keith Parkinson's work also. Especially his "Charge to the Savage Coast" image (click for a larger version):

And his "And Then There Were Three" (click for a larger image):

I've always been partial to the Elmore Cleric from the Basic D&D Set (the redbook from 1983):

cleric.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
d10 said:
Agreed. The ad art for the 3.5 books blew my mind!!! Kinda like the time I saw my Grandmother in the shower...oh never mind!!!

Hey, I had the same reaction when I saw your grandmother in the shower...oh, I mean... :D

Seriously, thanks to Remathilis for posting the art from the ads. While I'm not a huge fan of the current "style" of D&D art, I do like those ads. I see those ads and I want to play. That's the reaction that I want to get when I look at D&D art.

Cheers,
Tim

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
One of my favorites has always been the blue and white line picture from the 2e PHB opposite the description of the bard. (It showed an armored woman lying on a bier and could be interpreted as a fallen hero lying in state or a fallen valkyrie lying in enchanted sleep). Unfortunately, I've lost my 2e PHB (well, that's about the only thing I regret losing it for) and haven't seen a copy of it anywhere.

You mean this?

Attachments

• sister.jpg
    sister.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 530

Chasmodai

First Post
Favorite cover: The cover of the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil module. (3ed) The ghoul trudging out of the huge keep gates just speaks volumes.

I also like the BoVD picture of Belial and Fierna. It's disturbing, but it says a lot about devils.

And any picture of Artemis Entreri gets me pumped. (Especially the one in FRCS.)

Any picture of a githzerai monk makes want to play an...umm... a githzerai monk.:rolleyes:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Elder-Basilisk said:
One of my favorites has always been the blue and white line picture from the 2e PHB opposite the description of the bard. (It showed an armored woman lying on a bier and could be interpreted as a fallen hero lying in state or a fallen valkyrie lying in enchanted sleep). Unfortunately, I've lost my 2e PHB (well, that's about the only thing I regret losing it for) and haven't seen a copy of it anywhere.

It originally appeared in module S4, The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

SPOILER for S4 below:

It's a picture of Iggwilv's daughter, which would make her Iuz's half-sister, if I recall correctly. Her name is Drelnza, and she's a vampire.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:

What I liked best about these ads: No loincloths.
Of course! Unlike balors, pit fiends have a long tradition of being secure in their masculinity.:D

But I really do like those ads. WAR's done some good stuff, some not-so-good stuff, but those are just incredible.
My personal favorite DnD picture, however, is the invisible stalker in the 3e MM. Or rather, the utter casual overconfidence of the unsuspecting fighter about to be stalker chow. I don't know why, but it just screams "DnD!" to me.

Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads