• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compelling D&D Images

Remathilis

Legend
Hmmm...

I thought the three new characters were all new Iconics for the PH.

Gimble is pretty obvious. Crossbow, goatee, lute on back.

The elf has a bow in one pic, sword and dagger in the last. This to me screams ranger.

The humam might be Hennet, but my money is on a new DRUID iconic. The blade in his left hand looks like sickle, and the wild staff looks very animal-totem. Plus, his outflit (plaid drape, war paint) seems very celtic to me.

Also, Bard, Druid and Ranger are the three classes that have "major" changes done to them. And none of them has an "alternate" iconic in the PH (Tordek/Regdar).

Silverstar or Roy, can either of you give us some info on our new iconics?

Or Gimble, how bout telling us about your new friends?

jester47

First Post
dagger said:
Don't know if this was mentioned, but behind those three in the last add, there are some more adventurers.......

Oh, Well, some henchmen apparently got in the promo shot...

Henchmen, I would say henchmen.

Aaron.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Jonesy beat me to it. I was about to say:

step 1: go to www.larryelmore.com

step 2: go to "gallery"

step 3: pick an image. Any image.

Darned near every one of them float my boat for "evocative."

A lot of people don't like Elmore, but few artists can tell a story in D&D with one picture. Elmore is one of them, as his Dragonlance collection proved to me.

Destil

Explorer
I havn't seen a peice of art by Sam Wood in 3E that I don't like yet. In particular his works in the psionics handbook (gith, the "manifesting a metacreative power" illustration) are some of the best D&D art I've seen.

WAR can be hit and miss. A lot of his black and whites are very good, in particular the splatbook stuff (Jozan casting a fire-spell in defenders, the excelent Nebbin in Tome & Blood). I feel bad for him, though, because he's somehow working on revisions of peices of art for the new MM that don't need revision. The blink dog and satyr were really great pics of monsters that were more than just "it sees you and attacks" types. But the new art depects them that way.

The Serge

First Post
Favorite Artists

Initially upon starting this thread, I didn't want this to turn into a discussion about "favorite artists," largely because such discussions end up turning into a silly "1ed vs. 2ed vs. 3ed" nostalgia/newness debate. However, I think I erred in not recognizing that's it's virtually impossible to discuss art of this type without focusing on favorite artists.

So, I'm going to offer a list of some of the artists who I really liked in D&D to date. I'm sure I'll miss a few, but c'est la vie (I think that's correct French).

The following is in no particular order.

Larry Elmore: For many people, this man is the perrenial D&D artist. His is the first "realistic" mural-type art most players were introduced to in the OD&D boxed sets. I was 11 or so when I started with D&D and I loved his art, particularly the stuff he did for Dragonlance (to me he is The Dragonlance artist). However, he's not my favorite artist largely because while his images are very realistic and sometimes technically sound, they too often are too "posed" and static. When he does offer powerful, kinetic images, they tend towards being illustrative. Also, I think his art's deteriorated a little over the years... although the stuff he's done for his world lately have recaptured his earlier style. A great artist.

Keith Parkinson: Probably my favorite 1ed artist. It's all about texture and presence with this man. There are two images that stand out for me that Parkinson did: Lord Soth's Charge, perhaps the greatest image of a Death Knight I've ever seen, and The Great Red Wyrm, which I think defines dragons. His images are always filled with energy and emotion, and you almost feel like you can reach in and touch every scale on the dragon. Truly excellent stuff.

Clyde Caldwell: Another big 1ed artist, Caldwell offered smoothness and vibrancy in his work. A lot of his images were very nicely done, but like Elmore he suffered from static images... and he had this gem fetish.

DiTerlizzi: For many, this man defined the image of Planescape. Possessing a light, airy quality, DiTerlizzi's art was perfect IMO in capturing the otherworldliness of Planescape, melding the high magic of D&D with the stylized art of the book Fairies. DiTerlizzi's images could be whimsical, horrific, or shadowy, but they were very distinct, which made them stand out against the largely "realistic" art that dominated other areas in D&D at the time. Although I love his stuff, I can see why others do not. It is extremely stylized and not "realistic," and kind of distanced some people from it. Still, great stuff.

Brom: Heh heh heh. Anyone interested in truly creepy images needs to look no further. I believe I first noticed his stuff for Elric some time ago. There's something... S&M about his images; they're simultaneously beautiful and repulsive, making them extremely appealing. His stuff reminds me of a Marilyn Manson video... I can't stand Manson, but I love Brom. If I could chose someone to create evocative images of the lower planes, particularly to complete works for the Lords of the Nine and the various Demon Princes, it would be this man. That said, it's precisely this somehow... disturbing nature that sets Brom in a category of a fetish artist that can be distancing to some. But, hey, still great stuff.

Sam Wood: If one wants to see truly impressive work, look no further. Wood has created some inspiring images, although I think his best offers are usually those involving hellish or otherwise "occult" images. His art tends to bear a great deal of weight, and his use of shadows is excellent. Sure, he (and Lockwood) don't necessarily draw the most realistic armor and such, but... this is a FANTASY game, not a treatise on realistic armor and clothing. My only issue with Wood is either he sometimes seems muddy due to poor technique or his images are often completed in color and then reproduced in b&w, which doesn't look that great.

Wayne Reynolds: The man. If you are looking for truly powerful, kinetic, and just plain fun images, look no further. I was struck with WAR's images in MM with his tendancy for illustrating monsters that seemed like they were about to walk off the page. His b&w stuff is just as powerful. He's the one that was chosen to complete the work for 3.5 stuff I discuss at the beginning of this thread, and it's no wonder. The power and energy of his images effortlessly translate into how many great games would look like if they were in a comic book or in an adult, animated movie or series. Frankly, he's one of my favorites of my favorites and only his sometimes "comic book" style keeps him from being at the top of my list. As it is, I tie him with...

Todd Lockwood: The man (I already said that, but he's tied with WAR). Lockwood has really, IMO, defined the look and feel of 3ed. His images have the realism and classical/surreal elements of Elmore coupled with the energy and technique of some of the greatest comic book artists (Bolland, Mignola, early Byrne, etc.) His dragons are awe-inspiring and that's really all it takes to impress me.

Last edited:

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
To: Whomever started this thread

Thanks for getting this one started! I forgot one of the biggest factors that got me involved in gaming when I was a kid. Seeing these images made me remember why I got into gaming in the first place: I wanted to be in these fantastic worlds, and the art was like peering into a window (or a looking glass darkly :p ).

Good stuff, and thanks for the links guys.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I'd like to mention George Barr and Stephen Fabian. They rarely get mentioned in threads like this. Stephen Fabian provided an eeriness to the Ravenloft line that really helped that setting firmly establish itself. George Barr has a style that is almost ethereal in its optimism and light touch, and has a dreamy, long-ago-and-far-away feel to it.

The Serge

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I'd like to mention George Barr and Stephen Fabian. They rarely get mentioned in threads like this. Stephen Fabian provided an eeriness to the Ravenloft line that really helped that setting firmly establish itself. George Barr has a style that is almost ethereal in its optimism and light touch, and has a dreamy, long-ago-and-far-away feel to it.
Care to offer some examples of either work, Col?

I think I recall that one of the two tended to like pin points for shading...?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
George Barr did a lot of the art in the supermodule that collected the Giants, Drow, and Demonweb modules - Queen of the Spiders. That's a good example.

Stephen fabian did a lot of work on the Ravenloft line - Feast of Goblyns is an example, one among many.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads