D&D 5E Compilation of Alternate Ability Score Generation Methods

overgeeked

B/X Known World
For awhile we did 1d12+6. You could re-roll but each re-roll dropped the bonus by one, so +6 on the first roll, a re-roll would be +5, another re-roll would be +4, etc. If you got to +0, you were stuck with whatever you rolled.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Nope. Only see what you wrote.
Hold please...
Ahhh.. "bedir than" is on my Ignore list. That's why I guess.

^_^

Paul L. Ming
I see...

Anyway, if you want to ignore bedir, that's up to you, but I think in this case I will repeat what they were saying because it's pretty good:

essentially, they were mentioning the Redrick Roller

Redrick Roller

This is a system that rolls stats that are point-buy legal. I've used it several times.

I really love character generation methods. Particularly ones that leave it out of our control to some extent. It's a process of discovery, like watching an unknown seed grow to see what blooms.

The Harrow Character Generation method was created by a user known as Gulthor over on the Paizo forums back in 2016. It's a real gem. It requires a Harrow Deck and it was created for Pathfinder, but there's no reason you couldn't use it for Dungeons and Dragons.

It's not practical by any means. It's basically a Tarot card reading that turns character generation into a mini-game you play before you play the game-game. In the process, it can help you create a short background for your character through the inspiration of the cards as they are laid out. It's a lot of fun! I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

I see...

Anyway, if you want to ignore bedir, that's up to you, but I think in this case I will repeat what they were saying because it's pretty good:

essentially, they were mentioning the Redrick Roller

Redrick Roller

This is a system that rolls stats that are point-buy legal. I've used it several times.
Cool. My first cast was: Str 12, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14. And my third cast was this beauty: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 10 (how lucky can a guy get?*).

I experimented with a similar method, albeit using 20 points for Pathfinder Society characters. Out of the 54,000+ possible sets of six scores (combinations?) I was rolling something like a d280 to get one that equals 20 points. But Redrick, he's generating sets in order (permutations?), which I like, except when I'm trying to make a certain class or character--I need a little more control. Just a little, not too much.

* In reference to the number 13 (sheesh!).

The ultimate ability score generating method is:

Choose your scores.

I've played in campaigns with this method and it works surprisingly well.

The Social Contract kinda makes it work.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The ultimate ability score generating method is:

Choose your scores.

I've played in campaigns with this method and it works surprisingly well.

The Social Contract kinda makes it work.
I once played in a game where the DM let me choose my scores. Worked fine. I didn't even have a single 18 in the end! (but I did have a 17).

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I once played in a game where the DM let me choose my scores. Worked fine. I didn't even have a single 18 in the end! (but I did have a 17).
I don’t see how the social contract would stop everyone from having 18s across the board. They’d all agree that it’s in the best interests of the party that they have perfect scores all around so there’s no deficiencies in the group.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases