Compiled list of 4e FR infos

Staffan

Legend
Of course, Phlan is actually located on the Moonsea, so he was looking in the wrong place. Someone in the thread pointed that out, but nothing about the city was mentioned again.
Phlan is still there, but only mentioned in passing as one of a number of cities where both the Netherese and Cormyr are trying to extend influence.

The problem is that ALL non-Lolth drow deities are now gone, and it happened while Eilistraee was taking them down to gain her own power to challenge Lolth. I mean, I guess they could make the story of Eilistraee taking the other drow gods down one at a time to gather her power, leaving only a titanic battle between her and Lolth, only to just die against Lolth like some random schmuck (For who knows why. Maybe there is a reason other then "Drizzt would no longer be special." If so, clue me in, because getting rid of such great potential for conflict makes no sense) but that would be...

...Well, actually, that would be rather in line with most of the other FR changes. Huh.

Why would you have her "die like a random schmuck"? I mean, what?

Why not have her die heroically, but die nonetheless. I mean Jesus Christ, just look at Jesus Christ! He "died for our sins", can't Eilistraee die for the sins of the Drow, as it were? Sure, Lolololololth won and Eilistraee (and her perv-baiting naked dancing) were cast down, but now there's small group of Drow, spread throughout Drow society, who believe SHE did this for them, that Eilistraee (Blessed her name) proved, once and for all, that Drow do not have to be evil. There heretics don't have power, and their goddess is dead, but they remain, and maybe through their belief in things not having to be this way, they will gradually change things. Though not until a whole lot of them have been fed to the neo-Otyughs.

Howzat?

Sure, you could have your yawn-inducing "Good god vs. Evil god" super-cliche "struggle for the soul of the Drow" idiocy, but I think I prefer my Christianity-rip-off take on things, and I think it'd be less of a horrible cliche and involve more chance for actual complex adventuring and cool scenarios". Certainly I think I've "clued you in", as requested, on how she could be more fun dead than active.

Of course, haha, this is the FR, and no such thing will happen, as in the FR, gaudy and melodramatic plots, as well as flash-y magic beat the power of the masses or of an idea every single time without exception.

EDIT - Except, I could see WotC (or TSR for that matter) doing a Drizzt as Drow Jesus deal. Maybe that's why they need any "confusing" factors out of the way. Oh god I hope not rofl.

Last edited:

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Why would you have her "die like a random schmuck"? I mean, what?

Why not have her die heroically, but die nonetheless. I mean Jesus Christ, just look at Jesus Christ! He "died for our sins", can't Eilistraee die for the sins of the Drow, as it were? Sure, Lolololololth won and Eilistraee (and her perv-baiting naked dancing) were cast down, but now there's small group of Drow, spread throughout Drow society, who believe SHE did this for them, that Eilistraee (Blessed her name) proved, once and for all, that Drow do not have to be evil. There heretics don't have power, and their goddess is dead, but they remain, and maybe through their belief in things not having to be this way, they will gradually change things. Though not until a whole lot of them have been fed to the neo-Otyughs.

Howzat?

Sure, you could have your yawn-inducing "Good god vs. Evil god" super-cliche "struggle for the soul of the Drow" idiocy, but I think I prefer my Christianity-rip-off take on things, and I think it'd be less of a horrible cliche and involve more chance for actual complex adventuring and cool scenarios". Certainly I think I've "clued you in", as requested, on how she could be more fun dead than active.

Sadly, that's not what happens from what I've read/heard. Apparently in the book series, she DOES die like just some chump. Despite all her successes, she somehow ends up stuck in some corner being ambushed by Lolth and both her and all her followers die. Like chumps.

Sonny

Adventurer
Phlan is still there, but only mentioned in passing as one of a number of cities where both the Netherese and Cormyr are trying to extend influence.

Thank you good sir!:D I'm hoping to get the book tomorrow, but Phlan's been one city that I couldn't get an answer to at a couple of different boards. I was beginning to think it was wiped off the face of Faerun.

Weregrognard

First Post
Just got the book yesterday afternoon :)

At first glance:

Pros:
- Newness! The setting seems more digestible now, and it smells like teen spirit. As in: it reminds me of when I first got the old Gray Box.

- Map! The map is pretty and still looks like the Realms, despite changes.

- Comfort Zone! Not all places have changed. The Dales still exist. The Moonsea is still a "hive of scum and villainy".

- Steal! There's a sidebar saying its ok to not use the setting and steal stuff from it. Most people don't need this "permission", but for those who do, your conscience is clear.

Cons:
- Gods! Wish there were bulleted "tenets" a la PHB in the entries. Only the greater gods are described in detail. The rest are left to tables.

- Anauroch! The most striking landmark on the maps (in my opinion) has been reduced thanks to the returned Netheril Empire.

- Missing! There seem to be a few areas that are not detailed. For example, the Shaar Desolation* doesn't have its own entry. I guess they need something for Dragon.

*There is, however, an illustrated homage to the "Shaar horseman" art of the 1E Gray Box.

Remove ads