Compiled list of 4e FR infos

Sonny

Adventurer
It is based on StarFyres post. I am not well versed in FR lore and can't really double check what information is posted. Just a note, when I say "Apparently" I do mean that this information is not 100% sure.
I will remove the Phlan entry.

And a small Evermeet update, Amlaruil is dead and Evermeet currently leaderless.

Thanks for the quick reply! I do appreciate you compiling all the info for us, it makes the wait for the book's release easier to handle. :)

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
This change in the Realms reminds me so much of Dragonlance's Fifth Age. The time jump, terraforming, and rules changes split fandom pretty badly.

I e-mailed Rich Baker about it, but he assures me that he thinks that won't happen this time around. After all, it's still D&D (even if it is a new edition), rather than switching from AD&D to SAGA. Despite Rich's assurances, I remain skeptical.

I will take a look at the FRCG and try to give it a chance, but I'm really doubtful at this point. It's weird thinking about not buying the FRCG. Then again, I have enough FR stuff from 2e and 3e to last me for years.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I e-mailed Rich Baker about it, but he assures me that he thinks that won't happen this time around. After all, it's still D&D (even if it is a new edition), rather than switching from AD&D to SAGA. Despite Rich's assurances, I remain skeptical.

I wonder if Rich is just writing off the WoTC boards and Candlekeep as lost causes at the moment then.

Maybe taking the viewpoint that the silent majority actually approve of the changes.

We'll see.

Khaalis

Adventurer
This change in the Realms reminds me so much of Dragonlance's Fifth Age. The time jump, terraforming, and rules changes split fandom pretty badly.

I second the skepticism. While they may want to "think" its not going to tear a rift in the fan base they're out of their minds. Look at the rift that's formed just between 3X and 4E fans. In that viewpoint, changing form 3X to 4E is as bad as AD&D to Saga. Add the FR fan base split in there of those who are going to have the New FR and, well...

I will take a look at the FRCG and try to give it a chance, but I'm really doubtful at this point. It's weird thinking about not buying the FRCG. Then again, I have enough FR stuff from 2e and 3e to last me for years.
I have to agree I'm not thrilled. I'll give it a look-see and decide then, but right now, from what I've heard so far, they would have been a lot better off presenting a totally new campaign setting than do the revamp of the FR. Granted they are using FR for the market penetration and traction the name carries but I think in the end, it was a bad choice. JMHO.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
You know, I WAS thinking that the planned GSL changes meant that Wizards was trying to help heal up that fracture...and then this.

:|

Jack99

Adventurer
For those like me, who are not knowledgable in FR ... how is the book itself(layout, graphic, usability,...)?

Quality seems to match the core books, (no smudging here though). Usability seems very high. Each area described has the information a player can have clearly outline, depending on which check is relevant, as well as some major cities/areas described, and a section called Plots and Adventure Sites.

All in all, enough to get a good idea of the land, while not burdening the DM with too much info. The meaty stuff is easy to find, which should save a lot of time, for those that do not have everything memorized.

Derren

Hero
Finally some news

• The Undermountain still stands and kept Waterdeep from collapsing.
  • Inside Undermountain dungeons are randomly shifted around.
  • Skullport is not inhabited.
  • Waterdeep patrols the first layer of Undermountain to prevent illicit trade.
  • The landmass under Mezro collapsed and the whole city now lies underwater.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Not much new information.

• Calimshan still exists
  • Calimport is now landlocked

Calimshan exisits, but its basically divided into three parts. The Human controlled city of Almraiven, the genasi controlled city of Calimport (who are loyal to the djinn Calim) and the genasi controlled city of Memnon (who are loyal to the efreet Memnon). Humans in the latter two cities have been enslaved.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Lantan is mostly gone. Tsunamis flooded most of the island and many of its people and technology were lost.

Remove ads