• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complex fighter pitfalls

If something is what you want to play, refer to my comments about Superman above, that is fine. More power to you. I can even understand those options being available in Core vs a module.

What I am saying is that fighters should not be Hercules.
If that's what you want to play, that is fine. More power to you. I can even understand that option being available in Core vs a module.

What is more, in those quoted parts, I replied what something shouldn't be. Not what something Should be. So I don't really see the contradiction.
You're saying things SHOULD be the way you want them to be, and other people SHOULDN'T be saying that things SHOULD be the way they want them to be.

Don't get me wrong - I don't necessarily agree that fighters should be as strong as Hercules. I'm only objecting to you presenting your opinion in the form of "how things SHOULD be", while at the same time deriding someone else for doing exactly the same thing.

Herschel

Adventurer
And this is really why the 3e fighter is not mechanically good enough at high levels and why the 4e approach failed to fix anything.

Except we have been given data the 4E Fighter is the most popular character in the game, so that would indicate it indeed "fixed" things.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Except we have been given data the 4E Fighter is the most popular character in the game, so that would indicate it indeed "fixed" things.
Among those who play the game. Kind of a major qualifier.

Also, the 3e fighter always polled near the top of lists of favorite classes. It's probably always been the most popular class or close to it. In other words, maintaining the status quo (if that is true) wouldn't be a revelation.

Herschel

Adventurer
As you say, in 3E polls it is near, in 4E it was alone at the top of the heap. That's not maintaining the status quo, that's taking the top spot.

TwinBahamut

First Post
You know, I'm honestly appalled that the opening post started by describing a "complex" fighter as a fighter who has access to trip and disarm of all things, and then went on to say that these things are bad for the fighter to have. This is absurd!

There are three genuine complex fighters in D&D history, and all of them were much more interesting than some glorified mook who could maybe grab hold of a foe for a round or two if he was really lucky. The BECMi fighter could throw a bola around an enemy's neck and force it to make a saving throw or die from suffocation. The 3E Warblade was a very complex, fun, and potent class that had all kinds of tricks for direct combat and leadership. The 4E Fighter and its many relatives were all equals with the magical classes in every way. These are the complex fighters, and any attempt to make a new one needs to look at them and build on their successes.

I mean, if you want a great thing for fighters to be able to do, look at the Warblade's Iron Heart Surge. A swift action to end any ongoing effect immediately, regardless of what that effect was. Even a Forcecage could be smashed to pieces in a second by a fighter who has that technique. This is exactly the kind of simple, flexible, and very powerful effect that fighters should have access to! It protects them from many effects that otherwise cripple fighters, is strongly linked to the core of the fighter archetype, and makes fighters stand apart from any other class. In fact, you could just give that ability to a simple fighter class and it would work.

Also, I utterly despise the idea that the fighter needs to be some kind of completely historically accurate nobody (or even weaker than historically accurate!) who is expected to fight alongside godlike super-mages who stepped straight out of a comic book. Because that is exactly what 3E Wizards were: gods and overpowered comic book superheroes with the serial numbers filed off. That kind of power doesn't even make for an interesting wizard class, and I'd rather see that kind of nonsensical power difference completely abolished (well, abolished again since 4E already did so, and I can't believe that 5E is being so regressive in this manner already). Fighters need to be incredible heroes of legend in their own right, and wizards need to be a bit more reasonable and a lot less like Dr. Strange.

Kraydak

First Post
Some things came up in response to my opening post that I honestly would never have expected. The below quoted post is as good a starting point as any to talk them.

You know, I'm honestly appalled that the opening post started by describing a "complex" fighter as a fighter who has access to trip and disarm of all things, and then went on to say that these things are bad for the fighter to have. This is absurd!

They aren't "bad". They are, however, weak and cause plausibility conflicts. They, alongside "improvisation", are really, really bad things to try to achieve class-balance off of.

There are three genuine complex fighters in D&D history, and all of them were much more interesting than some glorified mook who could maybe grab hold of a foe for a round or two if he was really lucky. The BECMi fighter could throw a bola around an enemy's neck and force it to make a saving throw or die from suffocation. The 3E Warblade was a very complex, fun, and potent class that had all kinds of tricks for direct combat and leadership. The 4E Fighter and its many relatives were all equals with the magical classes in every way. These are the complex fighters, and any attempt to make a new one needs to look at them and build on their successes.

I liked Bo9S. A lot. The Warblade's recovering mechanic fits a master tactician who needs to periodically step back and reevaluate the situation quite well. The Crusader's more random recovery mechanic fits a fighter who takes advantage of the vagaries of combat to engage in the tactics that fit the situation (as determined by a random draw of available maneuvers).

I dislike 4e's fighter however, in part because of the Encounter/Daily powers, and in part because the jettisoning of fluff means that players can't act outside the box. I dislike improvisation as an imposed class mechanic, and I find most "awesome cases of improvisation" to be rather sad in truth. I greatly fear swords turning into stat-sticks while fighters improvise away. That doesn't mean that I dislike using abilities cleverly.

However, I don't think these comparisons are relevant. The Simple Fighter we have seen in the playtest and the Warblade are simply too far apart to be part of the same class. Add onto that Mearls's comments on Maneuvers coming as part of Themes (which otherwise provides Feats or the equivalent) and it really, really doesn't look like the 5e Fighter is heading down the Warblade path. I admit that I was discounting the possibility entirely, and would bet, heavily, against it.

I mean, if you want a great thing for fighters to be able to do, look at the Warblade's Iron Heart Surge. A swift action to end any ongoing effect immediately, regardless of what that effect was. Even a Forcecage could be smashed to pieces in a second by a fighter who has that technique. This is exactly the kind of simple, flexible, and very powerful effect that fighters should have access to! It protects them from many effects that otherwise cripple fighters, is strongly linked to the core of the fighter archetype, and makes fighters stand apart from any other class. In fact, you could just give that ability to a simple fighter class and it would work.

Duh. Well, Iron Heart Surge won't have any effect on Forcecage, but still. This, however, has absolutely nothing to do with Simple vs. Complex Fighter, as you note in the final sentence. Simple or Complex, Fighters need some ability to shirk off hostile magical effects (10hp/use?), and eventually, some ability to break through Walls of Force or Prismatic Spheres.

Also, I utterly despise the idea that the fighter needs to be some kind of completely historically accurate nobody (or even weaker than historically accurate!) who is expected to fight alongside godlike super-mages who stepped straight out of a comic book. Because that is exactly what 3E Wizards were: gods and overpowered comic book superheroes with the serial numbers filed off. That kind of power doesn't even make for an interesting wizard class, and I'd rather see that kind of nonsensical power difference completely abolished (well, abolished again since 4E already did so, and I can't believe that 5E is being so regressive in this manner already). Fighters need to be incredible heroes of legend in their own right, and wizards need to be a bit more reasonable and a lot less like Dr. Strange.

Again, I fail to see how this is relevant in the context of Simple vs. Complex. It seems that many people read "Simple Fighter=Gimp", "Complex Fighter=Hercules". Can someone explain *why* they read things that way? Making a class complex usually weakens it, rather than the reverse, because designers are optimistic about how often the stars align and a class operates at maximum capacity.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think in these conversations it's important to keep in mind the concept of tiers.

A mundane fighter might not be competing with a world-imploding mega-wizard. They might be competing with Mr. Magic Missile & Sleep. Pew pew, done.

In other words, it's possible to have both fighters and wizards be on the pathetic side. They're just "low-tier."

Meanwhile, if the wizard creates galaxies where he lives tax-free and the fighter slays dragons with a single grumpy snort, neither of them are "low-tier" anymore.

Some might even say that fighters must be limited to low-tier (graduating to something more epic/mystical/magical at high tier), if they want. This would be keeping in genre, even.

Anyway, that's just to say that there's lots of ways to conceive of this "imbalance." I don't think the 5e fighter is underpowered next to the wizard in the slightest, even though the wizard has a few more options of stuff to do than the fighter does. Simple doesn't necessarily mean ineffective.

Kraydak said:
It seems that many people read "Simple Fighter=Gimp", "Complex Fighter=Hercules". Can someone explain *why* they read things that way?

A) Haters gonna hate.

B) People get defensive about fighters. 4e was probably the first edition to get the balance mostly right (whatever else it did), and that leads a lot of people to presume that added complexity is the ONLY way to get the balance mostly right, and that if you want to simplify it, that means you want fighters to suck again. Plus, some folks just like complex fighters, and want to play them, so they don't take "There's potential problems here!" very well, necessarily, especially when combined with the above defensiveness.

C) Sometimes when there's lots of options big obsessive dorks like us can find an exploit, leading to a marginal boost in effectiveness.. These boosts are ruled out in a "simpler" system.

Last edited:

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
*grumbles* NO! The fighter shouldn't be the equivalent of HERCULES.

At epic, possibly but I will disagree with you to my dying day that at any point before the fighter becomes a god (or half-god) with untold cosmic-godly strength that the fighter should be equivalent to HERCULES!

With the same kind of specialization, training and skill I can fight like Jet Li or (the real) Chuck Norris. I'm never going to be equal to a greek god! I'm never going to redirect rivers in order to clean stables. It isn't within my power, it isn't going to happen.

I don't want it, you can if that suits you but SHOULD doesn't belong anywhere near that sentence.

Erm...why? A 10th Level Fighter is fighting Greater Elementals, Giants, Hydras, and younger Dragons. If the Fighter is actually a threat to beings of that size and power, he's way way beyond Jet Li or Chuck Norris and much much closer to Beowulf and Hercules.

However, this brings me to an equally important point - if the Fighter can't ever be equal to a demigod (and keep in mind, virtually all the mythological heroes of Greece were demigods of some sort or another), how is the Fighter a viable class from levels 1-20? How are they balanced against Wizards, Clerics, and Druids?

First, it should be impossible to trip a creature that cannot be tripped. The same as you should be ale to walk through an incorporeal creature. It is an element of their physiology. I don't see people complaining that using ice against the giant ice monster is somehow unfair.
You're getting hung-up on the terminology of Trip - if we called it knock-down instead, would it matter if the damn thing didn't have legs?

It should be a special thing used for coolness or necessity, not something used for flash or to get more attacks or damage in.
This is problematic when said maneuvers are how martial classes are supposed to keep up with spellcasting classes - if it's a sometimes thing and spells aren't, you're back to the problem of casting Planar Summoning vs. "I full attack."

It leads to spamming maneuvers if the maneuver is clearly superior, and never using them if they are clearly inferior in all situations. Striking the balance between those extremes can be difficult, and likely isn't all in the realm of game design - it also rests in encounter/adventure design.

I don't think there's a way to design maneuvers that are 1) interesting, 2) complex, and 3) applicable to *all* situations. You have to pick two. The typical approach in design is to pick (1) and (2), and leave it up to the GM and adventure designers to make sure the tactical scenarios are varied enough that a valid use for each maneuver comes up from time to time.

If you are picking one path because it is superior in terms of game-stats and numbers, it is gamist, not simulationist.
The rules approach mearls described seems simulationist to me, since it simulates "how hard is it to trip someone when you also want to hurt him".
Encounter powers are more "narrative" because in my shared control over the game world I have with my co-players and the DM, I have the allowance to narrate tripping someone once per combat with a successful attack.

Meh, we probably shouldn't even be using these terms, since they always lead to meta-discussions that are not really advancing the topic. But Mearls started it. (Mearls ruined GNS :eek:).

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
A few conceptual points I want to emphasize:

• Mythic != Magical (at least not that kind of magical). Many mythical heroes have superhuman abilities and powers that are unrelated to the actual casting of spells. Roland cleaves mountains with his sword, Chu Chulainn gets so mad that his body boils entire cauldrons of water, etc. Hercules completes his labors BEFORE he ascends to divinity. These mythical heroes are super-human, but not superheroes; their power doesn't come from coming from another planet or getting bitten by a radioactive spider or wearing a mechanical suit. But they are still mythic heroes.
  • Superhuman martial heroes are implicitly already in the game. Consider the following: how can a Fighter be physically tough enough to absorb a blow from a dragon and not be turned into paste or strong enough to chop through an Elemental or Golem made of stone/etc. and not be superhumanly strong - given that the base class is potentially capable of doing these things sans magic weapons? The answer is that they must be super-humanly strong and tough. If those implicit levels of super-human ability exist in regards to taking and giving damage, why shouldn't they be applied to other feats of prowess like Grappling or Bull Rushing?
  • Super-human martial heroes are inherently necessary for the Fighter class to exist from 1-20. If the existing Fighter class was truly bound by normal human physical standards, then realistically Fighter levels should cap at 5 (a baleen whale, some 30-60 feet long is CR6 after all, and an ordinary human probably couldn't go toe-to-toe with a whale); the same would probably apply to non-spellcasting Rangers, Rogues, Barbarians, etc. If the Fighter (to say nothing of other martial classes) is to be a viable class that is a physical, martial class from 1-20, then it follows necessarily that they be capable of fighting and defeating monsters (or at least surviving) from 1-20, most of whom are beyond the physical capacity of normal humans.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads