• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compulsion and Casting Spells

daemonslye

First Post
In another version of the game, a "charmed" or otherwise forced spell caster could not be compelled (ie. "casting under duress") to cast spells.

In 3.5, assuming a failed save, is there anything that would prevent the victim of, say, a domination spell, to cast a spell on behalf of the dominator.

For example:

• Evil wizard has stolen the body of your fallen comrade;
  • Evil wizard dominates local good cleric;
  • Dominated good cleric raises your buddy (who likely believes you have paid to revive him);

If the priest knows he is dominated by an evil being, he might get an additional save to resist; Although raising a "good" being by am equally "good" being may actually be in-line with the priest's nature.

PHB p.255
Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus.

I think your case is special indeed because it involves a cleric and raise dead, I think you have to consider how willing the cleric is under normal conditions to raise any given being.
Consider the following:
-the alignment of the recipient of the raise dead spell
-the deity the recipient may have
-what the cleric knows about the recipient
-how he would handle the situation under normal conditions
Then consider if he gets a second save with the stated +2 bonus or not.

But in general I say you can force dominated casters to cast spells!!!

Remove ads