• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Computer Problem Fixed! Thanks!

tylermalan

First Post
Firzair said:
Hi,
did you use another power supply (the part where you plug in you computers power cable)? My new computer will not properly shut down with my old master/slave power supply. It shuts down, but the peripheric devices and the fan and lights inside the computer run on. The old computer used less power in standby-mode than my new one, so the power supply always counts the new as "on".

Perhaps your problem comes from using another power supply or if you have a master/slave supply perhaps just the potentiometer was moved during the move, so now it reacts on less power than before.

Greetings
Firzair

Well, I'm not using a different power supply, but could I do anything to make sure that its not messed up?

SteelDraco

First Post
tylermalan said:
Well, I'm not using a different power supply, but could I do anything to make sure that its not messed up?
Any computer shop will have a power supply tester, but that doesn't really sound like your problem. If you've checked the BIOS already, I'd start to wonder about the Windows system stuff that deals with power management.

Somewhere along the line, the message from Windows that tells your power supply "All right, we're done here. Flip the lights off and go home." isn't getting to it. That starts from Windows itself, goes into the motherboard and power management drivers, then to the motherboard itself, and then to the power supply. I suppose one of the communication pins could have gone bad on one of the lines from the power supply to the motherboard, but I'd think that would create more complications than you're seeing. Likewise with the motherboard itself going wonky. I'm more inclined to suspect Windows first, rather than a hardware problem, though.

Have you considered backing up your data and doing a fresh install of Windows? I know it's pretty generic advice, and not a lot of fun, but I've always found it shockingly effective.

tylermalan

First Post
SteelDraco said:
Any computer shop will have a power supply tester, but that doesn't really sound like your problem. If you've checked the BIOS already, I'd start to wonder about the Windows system stuff that deals with power management.

Somewhere along the line, the message from Windows that tells your power supply "All right, we're done here. Flip the lights off and go home." isn't getting to it. That starts from Windows itself, goes into the motherboard and power management drivers, then to the motherboard itself, and then to the power supply. I suppose one of the communication pins could have gone bad on one of the lines from the power supply to the motherboard, but I'd think that would create more complications than you're seeing. Likewise with the motherboard itself going wonky. I'm more inclined to suspect Windows first, rather than a hardware problem, though.

Have you considered backing up your data and doing a fresh install of Windows? I know it's pretty generic advice, and not a lot of fun, but I've always found it shockingly effective.

Yeah, it definitely IS pretty effective. I'm actually a network admin for the Air Force, and we have to do that a lot sometimes. Good with software - obviously not so much with hardware!

tylermalan

First Post
New Problem!

So, I got a new power supply. I was getting ready to upgrade a lot of my computer's parts, and something else happened just the other day. It had been on for about a day, and I was getting ready to do something on it. I sat down, and it just powered off completely, and wouldn't come back on. I ordered the new power supply and recently put it in.

Now, it's doing something else. This time, the power supply works. When I turn the power supply switch on, it hums a bit, and when I hit the power button on the front of my case, it comes on.

The problem is that it only comes on for a few seconds, then powers off again. The only thing that stays on is the light for the power button. I left it plugged in for a day or so and with the power switch on, and just a few minutes ago I tried to turn it back on. This time, it came on long enough to display some things on the monitor, and long enough to detect that there was no mouse or keyboard plugged in. I started getting ready to turn it off to plug those things in, and it shut off completely. Now, it's doing what it WAS doing before - turning on for a few seconds and turning right back off.

Any ideas?

Thanee

First Post
Sounds like a defective PS unit to me, though some mainboard defect could also be the cause.

I had a similar problem with the PS unit from my new computer, after like a week of smooth operation, when I turned it on, it just went back offline after a few seconds. In my case, it was the PS unit, which was defect.

Bye
Thanee

tylermalan

First Post
Everything is fixed! I just got all new parts. Ah well. I was planning on upgrading soon anyway, so I just pushed that up a little bit. Everything is fine now! Thanks everybody!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads