• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Conan] how do fate points work?

S'mon

Legend
That's reasonable, but I think charging 2 FPs for certain survival without aid is better for my PCs, so far they aren't spending many FPs as it is - two PCs have 5 FPs each, currently, the other 2 have 3 & 4.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
S'mon said:
That's reasonable, but I think charging 2 FPs for certain survival without aid is better for my PCs, so far they aren't spending many FPs as it is - two PCs have 5 FPs each, currently, the other 2 have 3 & 4.

Good point. I'm still only in the land of theoretical at the moment, as I've not been able to get my hands on the rules yet :) I understand that different groups have different styles of play (e.g. in d20Modern we burn our way through action points like there's no tomorrow, while other groups hoard them as if they were air miles ;))

Cheers

zero skill LPB

First Post
S'mon said:
Max HP on level up - that's a cool idea, maybe a bit too powerful though? What's an AP BTW?

It might seem a bit too powerful at first glance, but I don't think it will be when played out. The players that go for max HP on level up through FP expenditure are effectively nerfing their ability to Do Something Cool or Save Their Butt at some later point for a slightly inflated sense of security (HP buffer) on the front-end.

I'll find out how it balances out once we're up and running, though; I know for certain that one player will DEFINITELY be spending the FP from max HP (he always rolls like crap) and another player will DEFINITELY be rolling for HP (he sucks up additional randomness whenever it's offered).

AP? Heh, screwed by my own shorthand! AP = Action Points. I plan on doling out an initial stipend (1d6) + giving an additional amount on level up (+1d6) + allowing players to earn additional AP for doing things that push the story forward in interesting ways.

Make sense?

S'mon

Legend
OK - for my PCs I doubt I'd let a FP count for more than taking high-average instead of low-average on the roll, eg 6 instead of 5 for a d10 class. I want to be able to give out a FP most sessions and have them spend it, if I gave them max hp for a FP no one would not jump on that.

Yokiboy

First Post
S'mon said:
OK - for my PCs I doubt I'd let a FP count for more than taking high-average instead of low-average on the roll, eg 6 instead of 5 for a d10 class. I want to be able to give out a FP most sessions and have them spend it, if I gave them max hp for a FP no one would not jump on that.

Same reason I won't allow this, but it might work in someone else's campaign.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

zero skill LPB

First Post
I plan on having Fate Points be rare, very useful things that are awarded when significant progress is made (character goal, story goal). I think that's how they're intended in the Conan RPG. I plan on having Action Points be frequent, somewhat useful things that are awarded when players do cool stuff and when PCs level up.

In adding Action Points into the mix I think I'm giving the players a shiny coin they won't shy away from spending while the Fate Points will continue to serve as their rainy day fund.

To balance this out I plan on using Action Points for my important NPCs and even a Fate Point or two for my named BBEGs.

So that's where I'm coming from, eh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads