• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Confessions of a Full-Time Wizard 2: Monogamy

hectorse

Explorer
So Shelly Mazzanoble has put out a new article, and I really like it.

Someone over the wizards boards explained really well

She sounds like a normal, intelligent, well-adjusted woman, unlike many gaming women I've encountered over the years. Such as Ms. "I'm just doing this because my boyfriend does it" or Ms. "Not only do I game, but I'm also a bisexual wiccan reiki master" or Ms. "My real life is a complete disaster so I find happiness vicariously through the exploits of my character" (and her cousin, Ms. "I can't get a date to save my life but my character is a sex-kitten who treats men like a cat treats a mouse, toying with it then devouring it").

Lackhand

First Post
You need a link here, I think: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drcw/20071114

Tadaa!

And: I find her... well, I don't know what to think. She's a good author, but it's a narrow line, and it could easily go from funny to predictable (and slightly offensive!) pretty swiftly

I mean, I get the "Girl's Point Of View" thing, I do: but why is it all about relationships? I mean, why is that exclusively the province of a woman?
It's refreshing and it's interesting, but if the author's name were Carl, we'd be up in arms.

And I'm sad about that. I just worry that it trivializes and excludes females (and we, stereotypically and as a community, don't want that!) because it presents this as a token female view, and thus in a way, the only female view.

I'm also certain that I'm being needlessly worried. I do that sometimes :D

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I hated this article. I'm not sure why, entirely - it seemed much like the first one, it wasn't offensive in any way, and it was light, fluffy reading, but...

I dunno. There was just something about it that I really didn't like.

JoelF

First Post
I didn't like either of her articles. Not that they weren't well written, but as something I could choose to read vs. doing something else, I don't think I'll be reading any more of her columns. I think its great if her articles bring more people into the game, but already being a long time player, I just didn't get any value, entertainment or otherwise from her pieces. I also don't think her articles do anything positive towards my views of the new Dragon magazine.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You know, I liked the first one quite a bit, but this one just didn't come off as funny to me. Maybe there wasn't enough D&D in it, like the "talk to the burning hands" line from the first article. We'll see -- can't win every time. ;)

hectorse

Explorer
I thought it was fun because I somehow relate to the cheating feel. I used to have those kinds of feelings when I had a band and in retrospective it's cool.

Remove ads