Confirm or Deny: D&D4e would be going strong had it not been titled D&D

Was the demise of 4e primarily caused by the attachment to the D&D brand?

• Confirm (It was a solid game but the name and expectations brought it down)

Votes: 87 57.6%
  • Deny (The fundamental game was flawed which caused its demise)

Votes: 64 42.4%

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
By diffusing the weirdness around in different directions, it avoids triggering anyone who has a strong reaction against any single one of those issues (although I understand that 4E fans who really liked doing something cool every round are still somewhat put off by how seldom the battle master can do one of these cool things).

This is more or less a fair depiction of...many of my problems with 5e, yes. (Well, that and the return of casters getting more, better, and more varied tools than non-casters, and the return of intentional obscurantism and misleading class/option descriptions.)

That is: most people seem to be perfectly okay with the idea that a character defined by having Maneuvers (or casting spells, for the Warlock) may go 2-3 combats a day (roughly a third of a day's worth) without having *any* available to use. That boggles my mind. If I signed up to cast spells or employ maneuvers, I wanna cast spells or employ maneuvers, dammit! :p It's one thing if you dabble (pick up a feat, multiclass, etc.), because that's explicitly adding just a dash of that stuff. Like ordering an entree, and choosing to get a single egg roll as a side. You're not there for the egg roll, so it's okay that it's not the main part of the dish--though you will still enjoy eating it. It just seems to me that certain classes' "entrees" are so small that you run out before everyone else has finished eating, yet you're paying exactly the same "price" everyone else is.

....if you can't tell, I'm hungry and considering my options for dinner tonight. :p

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I think it boils down to rationalization. I can't think of a single mundane ability I know of, in real life, that can only be done once a day. If you tell me that there are some things I can only do every few minutes successfully, I might buy that. But only once a day. Not a single one comes to mind.
Okay, fair enough.

The distinction to me is entirely dependent on whether the ability is supposed to model a mundane ability, such as could be performed within the physical world we all know and inhabit by anyone of sufficient talent or strength; or whether the ability is supposed to be "magic." As magic, as defined within the game world, is fictional, it can operate by any sort of rules you want it to, so long as mentally everyone accepts this is how it works in that world. (For purposes of this discussion, theology aside, we'll just assume divine abilities as falling within the framework of, "magic") If the game world says that certain magical abilities are only capable of being used once per day, then that's just the way it is and you can justify it however you want. If the same rules say that a fighter or ranger or rogue can only swing his sword a certain way once per day, then I start to mentally wonder why. I need a justification for it. And if the only justification is "game balance" then it falls flat for me.
I'm going to answer a question you asked in a previous post along the lines of "Why should my preferences bother you?", and I hope it doesn't come across as an attack. I understand others' tastes better now, and I actively try not to let other gamers' opinions bug me nowadays, but I still do experience a certain amount of exasperation when I read threads like this. I'm not speaking for all 4e fans, but I think many of them would agree with at least some of what I'm going to say.

I think the reason that I get exasperated with your preferences, and those of other some other fans is this: Some D&Ders think of the game as D&D first and a ttrpg second, while others (including myself) think of the game as a ttrpg first and D&D second. When it comes to these kind of threads, D&Ders in the first group look a lot like honeybees buzzing through the air in random directions, even if I know that there probably is a rhyme and reason to their tastes. (The bees are following smells that I can't smell.)

Sometimes it's even hard to believe that gamers with such radically different tastes aren't being disingenuous, because their reasoning is so inconsistent with my own reasoning. I am not suggesting that this is actually true; just expressing how bizarre these discussions/arguments are. For example, I can understand not being altogether comfortable with encounter/daily exploits; but to be at the same time completely at ease with the D&D combat system is horribly inconsistent with my reasoning and taste. Both include mechanics and resource management that have ambiguous tie-ins to the game world, and both have multiple simple explanations -- the only difference is that the traditional combat system does not allow for a fantasy-sim explanation, which has bugged me since I started really playing D&D. And yet D&Ders in the first group often seem to not even recognize the inconsistency that to me is as clear as daylight. I'm not demanding answers from you here; as I said, I think I've got a fairly good handle on where the difference lies. And I suspect that the honeybee impression is not limited to my side of the screen.

And it's not limited to 4e edition wars. I can't count the number of times during the 3.x era that some topic would come up -- the combat system, random stats, healing wizards, paladins, you name it -- and I thought others were being intentionally obtuse when they explained the history of that particular D&Dism, or supplied a creative explanation. I would think something like 'What's with all this tangential information and rationalization? Can't they see that this stuff is irrelevant to the topic?' Except not as civil. I think I've got a better understanding of things by now, but it can nevertheless be exasperating to read a lot of this sort of commentary.

Anyhow, I'm done pontificating for the moment. Take this for what you will.

Wicht

Hero
Anyhow, I'm done pontificating for the moment. Take this for what you will.

Quick, not-completely-random question: what flavor of fantasy do you prefer?

For instance - my first preference is for pulp fantasy in the tradition of Howard and Lovecraft, followed closely by a quasi-subtle magic style along the lines of Tolkien.

pemerton

Legend
Others have already addressed this suffeciently, so there is no need for me to say "poppycock."
In this case, I am only reporting what I have encountered. Perhaps state sprinters in Texas (population larger than Australia) are better athletes than state sprinters in Victoria (population, obviously, smaller than Australia). That would be consistent with the fact that the US dominates international athletics in a way that Australia does not.

The real world just does not work that way.
Of course not. Nor is it true, in the real world, that in a fight there is only one genuine opportunity per minute, or per 6 seconds. These systems are mechanical impositions that order and structure the fiction.

But you said you couldn't think of abilities that are rationed by day. I can, and have given examples of ones that come to mind.

Even if I'm a complete idiot in holding my beliefs about these things, it doesn't change the fact that I hold them.

sometimes, frequently, when you are "on" in a particular field, you remain that way for some period of time.
When it comes to combat in 4e, that is modelled in a wholly different way, by the tempo of battle to which the deployment of particular abilities, at various levels of rationing, all make their contributions. You're not "on" because you repeat a given move after move after move. You're "on" because first you do X, which sets you up to spend an action point to do Y, which then opens up the chance for an OA or interrupt in response to what the next player does on his/her turn, etc.

The whole concept of a Daily Power <snippage> is pretty hampering when it comes to options within an RPG. Encounter Powers suffer a similar problem.
That is simply not my experience.

I see more variety in my D&D game than in other FRPGs I've played prior to it - AD&D, RM, RQ being the main ones - I think in part because of the range of options that a rationing system opens up.

An expended Daily Power is a literally depowering. Hit points say "yes you can," to the player. An expended daily power says "no you can't"
I'll pick up further on the "no you can't" below - because the action economy and the hit point system also say "no you can't" in all sorts of ways.

But first, I just wanted to check - it seems to be an implication of what you're saying that if I took a 4e fighter PC sheet and did nothing but strike off the dailies then I would be empowering the player. To me that is extremely counterintuitive. In the same way the players of D&D casters enjoy getting more spells slots, and see their spells as giving them a capacity to act within the game and to affect the ingame situation, so - in my experience - players of 4e martial PCs see their dailies as giving them a capacity to push beyond their normal limits and, when the stakes warrant it, to have an above-average impact upon the ingame situation.

I prefer a hero point system for this sort of thing - allowing the player to do more than normal, instead of telling the player they can't do what they can normally do unless they want to pull out all the stops.
Again, I don't understand "telling the player they can't do what they can normally do". What is the thing that the player (or PC) can normally do, but that they can't do except by spending a daily power? On its face that seems oxymoronic, since by definition a daily power is a way of doing what cannot be done normally.

But I'm sure you didn't intend an oxymoron. You seem to have some conception of what sorts of abilities are rationed by way of martial dailies, but I have no real idea what that conception is. Martial dailies (and encounter powers) in 4e are generally ways to get multi-target attacks, or damage spikes, or condition infliction, or maybe all of the above. Within the confines of the action economy, these are not normal things.

I mean, any fighter can fight multiple foes: on round 1 you attack A, on round 2 you attack B, etc, and your AC is good against all comers (there is no active defence system in 4e except via certain encounter and daily powers). What a close burst attack lets you do is attack A and B with the same action, ie without having to conform to the standard action economy. Likewise a power that lets you move as part of it - it gives you movement abilities that go beyond the normal action economy. Damage spikes, too, increase you damage output beyond what the standard action-economy's DPR.

The one feature of rationed powers that is not simply about breaking the limits of the action economy is condition infliction. But given that, by default, D&D fighters can't inflict damage and conditions as part of the same action, that is also a type of limit-break. (In 4e, at-will forced movement with no damage is available to everyone, at-will forced movement with damage is available to fighters, and at-will prone for a fighter requires more complex build investment - the fighter in my game does it via a combination of at-will power (Footwork Lure), feat (Polearm Momentum) and magic item (Rushing Cleats). I haven't seen at-will daze or slow on a martial PC, but there may be build options that can lead to it.)

there has to be some rationing of actions per round. But that is different from strictly defining what those actions cannot be based on the idea that you already did a thing once

<snip>

They [hit points] model being able to go until you can't go no more.

<snip>

Hit points are the ability to keep doing things. An expended daily power is telling you that you are no longer able to do what you know you should be able to do
I don't understand the force of "should be able to do". That is assuming the fiction is in a state that is contrary to what the mechanics are telling us. It's like saying "the problem with the action economy is that it is telling me I can't do something I should be able to do - like exploit a second opening". But in fact, given the action economy, we know that there is no second opening.

It's like saying that the hit point system "is telling me I can't do something I should be able to do - like chop off the ogres head with a single blow". But in fact, given your sword does (say) 1d10+6, and the ogre has (say) 19 hp, in fact we know you can't, in these circumstances, chop off its head in a single blow. The opportunity won't present itself - because of the ogre's luck, or skill, or sheer toughness - until at least 3 hp have been shaved away through non-decapitating attacks.

The structure of rationing opportunities and capacities through daily powers, and the relation that it establishes between fiction and mechanics, is no different from this. (Again, that's not a reason to like it. Or dislike it. Apart from anything else, many people see hit points as meat, which has a very different structure. And even if you don't see hit points as meet, you might be happy with the structure in relation to the damage system but not in relation to the action declaration system. But that doesn't speak to the underlying structure, which is as I've described.)h

pemerton

Legend
How about 5E?
5e uses an encounter power system for fighters - action points, second wind, battle master manoeuvres.

Because condition infliction for fighters is linked to the manoeuvres, champion fighters just don't get it (other than default shove and grapple options, which are alternatives to damage infliction).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What are the alternatives, though? You have old D&D, where you could never reliably do anything special. You could do a Fatigue Point system, which mostly rewards just spamming your one best move over and over. Or you have this AEDU structure, which imposes an artificial limit on how often you can do each move.
If you look at the martial arts systems in games like HERO and GURPS, they are basically fatigue based. However, the martial maneuvers- and there are many- have different benefits and disadvantages. Picking which to use in a given instance has consequences in accuracy, raw damage, how much they open you counterattacks, etc. Some are circumstantial limited- like by working better or worse depending on your opponent's speed relative to your own...

IOW, those systems minimize spamming by increasing the variety and complexity of mundane martial maneuvers- there is no One Best Maneuver good in all circumstances.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
A lot of your analogies seem to involve food. I approve! :D

Lately, they very much have! Not quite sure why, but hey, if it works it works :)

Quick, not-completely-random question: what flavor of fantasy do you prefer?

For instance - my first preference is for pulp fantasy in the tradition of Howard and Lovecraft, followed closely by a quasi-subtle magic style along the lines of Tolkien.

While the question wasn't asked of me, I feel giving such answers is always helpful to a conversation. So!

I'm very much a fan of the "Paladins & Princesses" style, as coined by Armchair Gamer on RPG.net:
Paladins & Princesses
Tropes: PCs are generally virtuous and altruistic heroes; even those with a mercenary streak tend to be more like Han Solo than Boba Fett or Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. Combat tends to be dramatic but low on PC lethality. Exploration is about heroic quests, the thrill of discovery and interaction than logistics and resources. Interaction is a central element of this style, and tends to the melodramatic. Worldbuilding is also key, but focused on story and dramatics rather than ‘realism’ or the elaboration of premises.
System Thoughts: 2E wanted to be this flavor, but was running on a DC&D engine. I’d like to say BECMI can do it if you tweak a few things, but that might be a mix of presentation and wishful thinking. 4E fits it very nicely, with quest rewards and the like, so long as you can deal with some of the darker-edged PC options in the core.

(Note: "DC&D" = Dungeoncrawling & Demons, Armchair Gamer's term for the style that prevailed during AD&D, particularly in the "tourney" modules.)

When I play D&D, I want to play a Good Person dealing with difficult situations. It can be a "Dingy White" type of Good (a la Han Solo and Lando Calrissian); it can be a "bright grey" self-interested but ultimately positive character; it can be a real Knight in Shining Armor (I adore Paladins.) It's okay if the world has crappy stuff in it; that's what Heroes are for, to fight the crappy stuff. But I do not want to play in a Game of Thrones kind of world, where the more good a person you are, the more you suck, and the more the world will try to utterly crush you beneath its iron heel until you are either insane, destroyed, or a cynical bitter prick. Being good should not be inherently a fool's errand; taking the "hard but noble path" should pay off, at least as often as it bites you in the ass, and preferably more often. The PCs should be able to make a lasting (not necessarily permanent) impact on the world, improving it.

To give an example of something that has ended up this way, more through group actions than through overt DM intent: my Dungeon World game.
[sblock]We came into a world that was, honestly, pretty scary. Vampire mafiosi having total control over the second-largest city on the continent--and even having the truly divinely-blessed head bishop of Bahamut under their thumb. The powerful (if reclusive) Wizard Conclave, able to steal children whenever they like, and totally ignoring the mundane authority of the nations on their borders. The leaders of the Conclave, the Avatars, exercising nearly unlimited power (as long as they can get over their petty internal squabbles--which doesn't happen often). Roving bands of bandits, armies of orcs and giants and kobolds wandering the woods, strange and unearthly creatures living barely paces off the beaten paths.

But we've changed that--and not always just by kicking ass (though we do plenty of that, too). We destroyed the evil Tower of Necromancy and its Black Avatar, and my Paladin healed the lingering corruption that affected the other Avatars (albeit not without significant effort and personal suffering for my char). We destroyed the ancient vampire ruling the large city, and actually managed to redeem a faction of vampires into being neutral guardians of the city, rather than evil parasites--with their new leader even earning my Paladin's respect for her restraint and willingness to change her ways. And most recently, we unmasked the impostor who'd replaced the Green Avatar (of Conjuration/Summoning), resurrected a sentient species that had been hunted to extinction, and established one of our former companions (a Kobold wizard) as the new Avatar of Light, whose tower extends down into the depths of the earth and gives the kobolds, goblins, and other creatures of the Under World a hope of joining the civilizations of the surface peacefully.

It's been hard, and we've done occasional questionable things, and my Paladin has had his faith shaken more than once--but we've done incredible good for the world, and we may yet do even more.[/sblock]

Part of getting this style right, for my preferences, is striking the right balance between the three pillars. Conflicts with sentient beings should have, as an option, solutions by diplomacy or wheeling-and-dealing, usually through accepting some kind of quest or promising to accomplish some kind of major heroic deed to earn trust. There should still be combat, and that combat should be enjoyable; there's not much point in being a Knight in Shining Armor if the Armor and Knightly skills never get used. It doesn't necessarily need to be something the characters agonize over participating in, but (being The Good Guys) they shouldn't generally relish the bloodshed either. Exploration should also be entertaining, but more in the "solve the puzzle"/"defeat the exciting trap" kind of way than the nitty-gritty logistics way.

I don't know how to describe it much beyond this; it's...a game where talking is always worth *trying* even if it doesn't work, and the Good Guys legitimately have a chance (not just a one-in-a-million chance, either) of winning. Even if the win is rarely exactly what they expected it to be!

Wicht

Hero
It's like saying that the hit point system "is telling me I can't do something I should be able to do - like chop off the ogres head with a single blow". But in fact, given your sword does (say) 1d10+6, and the ogre has (say) 19 hp, in fact we know you can't, in these circumstances, chop off its head in a single blow.

Well that's not exactly true, but I see what you are saying...

The thing is, you are assuming that there cannot be any mechanic in 3e which allows the player to suddenly do something above the base, but that's not quite the case, its just the the something fantastic 3e allows you to do is defined by feats. So in the situation above, Power Attack would very much allow you to do what you wanted to do. As might Improve Critical increased the odds that you will get to do 2d10+12 damage, or with a good (PFRPG) Power Attack Critical, say 2d10+20 damage. Likewise, the sneak attack lets the rogue do more and favored enemies allows the Ranger to increase that range (along with combat feats).

So the hit points give you a goal and feats allow you to massage the odds to better achieve those goals, in 3e.

But I do understand what you are saying, I think, about your view of 4e abilities empowering the PC above and beyond what is normal, but my counter is that once you make an exploit an available ability it becomes normal, and expected. The very act of giving the ability raises the bar as to what the standards are as to what the player can do when everything works right. And once you use it the ability is taken away. Contrary, once you use a feat, you can decide whether to use it again in the next round.

But that leads me to game flavor - which is a second complaint I would have, if I was grousing about 4e, and I really try not to, because its not my game and I am happy for those that enjoy it, and someone put a lot of work into it,... but if I had to list my number 2 reason for not liking 4e as Dungeons and Dragons it is the default flavor of the game is over the top heroics, with everybody able to do really amazing things all the time. My default flavor, as noted above is a grittier, pulpish feel and 4e, from all I know about it, does not model that as well as I can with 3e (or 2e or 1e, or Basic). 4e reminds me more of Anime fantasy than Pulp Fantasy.

So Pemerton, what's your favorite flavor of fantasy?

Dan_T_Head

First Post
4e was great up to the Paragon Tier. After that, the action economy starts to break down, and the game is a serious pain in the ass to run and manage. The problem with this is that the Paragon Tier was clearly meant to be the game's sweet spot. Look how many damned paragon paths there were!

I loved 4e, but I'm so much happier with the stripped down mechanics of 5e. It's just easier, and that matters a lot.

Remove ads