• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conlans Art Thread

Conlan

First Post
Bobitron said:
Thanks! Cool. It's an adventuring party in the Midnight setting, and I think your style would suit it very well. If it turns out to be too much of a project, I'll certainly understand.

Ok I should be able to start on it by this weekend, in the meantime give a description of what you want drawn, characters, appearances, etc. Also, some background info on the midnight setting, because I never heard of it! :p

Bobitron

Explorer
Okay Conlan, you asked for it! :heh:

Starhl: Starhl is a hulking man, with blond hair and blue eyes. He has a beard and moustache, and dresses plainly. He wields Bjorn's Faith, an ancient greatsword of the Northlands only now rediscovering its power. His companion is a large female Wolf.

Kaela: A small, youthful teen with a soft smile and gentle voice. She has brown hair and eyes, and normally wears a blue dress torn and stained from years of use. She has a leather apron that covers the front, but only wears it when in the woods or working. Kaela has become an accomplished spellcaster based on her own strong personality and wields the green Runestone of the North, its powers revealing themselves slowly.

Valurel: Valurel is a snow elf, a rare creature outside of his home forest. Valurel is a wild looking creature. His normally snow-white hair and skin are covered with a layer of dirt which gives him a grayish tinge. His hair is long and unkempt, hanging wildly around his face. His claw-tipped fingers complete his feral appearance. His armor and clothes are heavily worn and dirty. He also carries a bow and arrows slung across his back that sees action occassionally.

Herger: Another Northman, Herger's heart beats the blood of giants. Standing over seven feet tall, Herger's immense size borders on the unnatural. Herger dresses plainly in tattered, patchwork clothing. His shear size is what most people recognize first. After that his bright red hair, accompanied by his red moustache which grows past his chin, are the next most noticable features. Topping off this giant Dorn is his large great axe that is strapped across his back when not carried at the ready. More info from his player below:

[sblock]
maddmic said:
I'm fine with Herger's description. Just think, BIG viking type guy w/o armor (Hrothgar has yet to see anything oversized come his way. Not that I'm complaining. He's just a big target and I've been trying to be very careful with him in his delicate state. LOL)

Also, if I'm not mistaken on the terminology, I would like his moustache to be more of a long fu-manchu style. Think the dorn in the book. The ends could be braided if he sees fit. If you guys have seen the 13th warrior, I envision his hair to be about as long as Buliwyf. (The 1st warrior. Here's a link to his pic on imdb: Buliwyf ) Herger is 8'9" and 305#. He has an 18 strength which doesn't really (in my eye) fit his frame yet. He's still growing though and by level 5 he'll have a 20 Strength. (should we all live that long) Sometimes I think that the heroic path paints a pretty good mental image of the character, so I'll drop a bit in here.

Size Features: The giantblooded is a massive member of his own species, but his heritage does not unlock immediately. His body must be tempered and his blood tested before it begins to express the raw power within.

At 1st level, the giantblooded is considered Large for the purpose of the size categories of the weapons he may use. However, this benefit comes with a trade-off; the gaintblooded's bulk makes it harder for him to go unnoticed and more expensive to remain protected; he suffers a -4 penalty to Hide checks and his armor and shields cost and weigh twice the normal amounts. When determining the giantblooded's height and weight, multiply his height and weight by 1.5 to determine final numbers.

Rock Throwing: Part of the giantblooded's heritage is his capability to become a living siege engine, throwing rocks that lesser men would be hard put to even lift. So long as the giantblooded has loose boulders, broken masonry, or even the bodies of his foes about him, he will never lack for ammunition. The giantblooded's thrown rocks have the listed range increment and damage.
[/sblock]

Lodric: Lodric skill with his fists is as deadly as a swordsman with his blade. Lodric stands a little over 5 1/2 feet tall with a lean build. His closely shorn, dark brown hair has a smattering of red if you look closely. He tries to keep his face shaven since a beard makes his face itch. His well-worn clothing is of a slightly better quality than most of the peasants living in the area, although he has learned to keep it spattered with dirt so as to not attract too much attention to this fact.

Aislinn: A Dorn girl of early teenage years. Waif-like compared to her more militant companions, she is pretty in her own way, although her body does show the trials of a hard farm life. Long dark brown hair cascades down her back and dirt-smudged face. Her eyes are white, dead, blind orbs that viewers notice first. Scared, yet defiant, the danger her companions face at protecting her ways heavily on her and her concerns are shown in her face.

Fallax: A former scholar of Highwall, the old man has now fallen far. Scraggly white hair hangs over his face and dirt encrusted beard. His former scholar robes are now torn and covered in dirt. He is often scornful of his companions, yet is willing to use them as shields against attacking orcs. His acidic nature grates on his companions and it could very well bring Herger's axe down on his neck.

As far as the setting goes, I'd take a look at the setting's website here. The best description most people have is similar to LOTR- but imagine Sauron and Saruman WON the war. The good people are in hiding or oppressed. Our group is protecting Aislinn, the young girl, who has certain powers and a strange unknown destiny that involves saving the people of Midnight from the Shadow.

If you have any questions, let 'em rip! I'll check this thread daily.

Conlan

First Post
mac1504 said:
Those look great Conlan, nice work! Eagerly looking forward to the final versions.

Thanks again.
Here are some final versions of the swords and axes and also one of the shields. I will finish the spear and other two shields this weekend. Hope you like them! :)

Attachments

• Axes.jpg
    Axes.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Swords.jpg
    Swords.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Green Shield.jpg
    Green Shield.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 138

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
It took me the last couple of days to look these over before I could comment on them, I wanted you style to sink in. Now that it has I have to say that your work is superb. You really bring out a realistic look on your character drawings.

Do you take requests?

Conlan

First Post
Ok Mac I've finished the last two shields, I hope they are somewhat what you are looking for. Sorry it took longer than expected, damn real life :) .I decided not to do the spear, because after reading up on the Midnight setting a little, I didnt seem like you would have any use for it ( but if you still want it I could do it up in an about an hour or two, no big deal). I'll definately have to read up more about the Midnight setting if I'm going to do more requests! I have a feeling that my drawings and official Midnight art differ somewhat. ;)

Attachments

• Gold Shield.jpg
    Gold Shield.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Viking Shield.jpg
    Viking Shield.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 105

Conlan

First Post
Bobitron said:
Okay Conlan, you asked for it! :heh:

Starhl: Starhl is a hulking man, with blond hair and blue eyes. He has a beard and moustache, and dresses plainly. He wields Bjorn's Faith, an ancient greatsword of the Northlands only now rediscovering its power. His companion is a large female Wolf.

Kaela: A small, youthful teen with a soft smile and gentle voice. She has brown hair and eyes, and normally wears a blue dress torn and stained from years of use. She has a leather apron that covers the front, but only wears it when in the woods or working. Kaela has become an accomplished spellcaster based on her own strong personality and wields the green Runestone of the North, its powers revealing themselves slowly.

Valurel: Valurel is a snow elf, a rare creature outside of his home forest. Valurel is a wild looking creature. His normally snow-white hair and skin are covered with a layer of dirt which gives him a grayish tinge. His hair is long and unkempt, hanging wildly around his face. His claw-tipped fingers complete his feral appearance. His armor and clothes are heavily worn and dirty. He also carries a bow and arrows slung across his back that sees action occassionally.

Herger: Another Northman, Herger's heart beats the blood of giants. Standing over seven feet tall, Herger's immense size borders on the unnatural. Herger dresses plainly in tattered, patchwork clothing. His shear size is what most people recognize first. After that his bright red hair, accompanied by his red moustache which grows past his chin, are the next most noticable features. Topping off this giant Dorn is his large great axe that is strapped across his back when not carried at the ready. More info from his player below:

[sblock][/sblock]

Lodric: Lodric skill with his fists is as deadly as a swordsman with his blade. Lodric stands a little over 5 1/2 feet tall with a lean build. His closely shorn, dark brown hair has a smattering of red if you look closely. He tries to keep his face shaven since a beard makes his face itch. His well-worn clothing is of a slightly better quality than most of the peasants living in the area, although he has learned to keep it spattered with dirt so as to not attract too much attention to this fact.

Aislinn: A Dorn girl of early teenage years. Waif-like compared to her more militant companions, she is pretty in her own way, although her body does show the trials of a hard farm life. Long dark brown hair cascades down her back and dirt-smudged face. Her eyes are white, dead, blind orbs that viewers notice first. Scared, yet defiant, the danger her companions face at protecting her ways heavily on her and her concerns are shown in her face.

Fallax: A former scholar of Highwall, the old man has now fallen far. Scraggly white hair hangs over his face and dirt encrusted beard. His former scholar robes are now torn and covered in dirt. He is often scornful of his companions, yet is willing to use them as shields against attacking orcs. His acidic nature grates on his companions and it could very well bring Herger's axe down on his neck.

As far as the setting goes, I'd take a look at the setting's website here. The best description most people have is similar to LOTR- but imagine Sauron and Saruman WON the war. The good people are in hiding or oppressed. Our group is protecting Aislinn, the young girl, who has certain powers and a strange unknown destiny that involves saving the people of Midnight from the Shadow.

If you have any questions, let 'em rip! I'll check this thread daily.

Actually I've got a few questions Bobitron! Just a few more specifics, I'll jot them down and PM you.

Conlan

First Post
Frukathka said:
It took me the last couple of days to look these over before I could comment on them, I wanted you style to sink in. Now that it has I have to say that your work is superb. You really bring out a realistic look on your character drawings.

Do you take requests?

Thanks for the compliments Frukathka! Theres actually still a lot I am learning about art in general. I sure do take requests, it might be a while before I can get to it though.

Conlan

First Post
Bobitron said:
Cool! I just noticed I never linked you to the full character sheets. You can see them here.

Well it seems I the system won't let me PM you for some reason. So I'll just ask the questions here.

1. Do you want each individual character, or like a large group shot?
2. Could you maybe go into greater detail about their clothing and armor? After reading up a little about the setting I want to get a better idea of what you think of when you say "armor", and dresses plainly, because from the sounds of it armor is pretty scarce and dressing plainly kind of means wearing rags.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads