D&D General Conscripted to Faerun

GrimCo

Adventurer
Well, this is interesting.

Translatable skillset: 8 years in Scouts. 6 months of mandatory military service ( infantry). 25+ years of active combat sports training ( greco-roman wrestling, muay thai, judo and bjj). 2 years of HEMA, focused on German longsword. I'm in solid shape, train regularly, weekend hikes and such. Decent proficiency with sling. If flora in Faerun is similar to ours, i have good chance to forage for mushrooms and other edible plants. If not, i'm out of luck.

Biggest problem is i have zero experience with bows, crossbows and such and very little experience with hunting.

For equipment:
Longsword
Brigandine ( helmet mandatory)
Shield
Sling
Spear
Dagger ( or good solid knife, it's more tool than weapon)
Explorers pack ( no torches, good sturdy oil lantern is better choice)
Book on edible and poisonous plants in the region

6 weeks of training: ruck marches with all the gear so i get used to weight and distribution of it. Wrestling in armor.
6 weeks of weapon training: brush up on my sling and longsword, spear training, sword and shield training. In and out of armor.

Donkey is best suited to carry stuff like tent and rations ( hard cheese, smoked meat, pecan since those suckers have 690kcal/100g). Average donkey can carry around 50 kg of stuff. One donkey can't haul enough food for whole month, so some foraging and hunting is implied.

If it's possible, in that 12 weeks, i want at least some magic training. 2 cantrips are enough ( light and prestidigitation).

Can we take stuff from our world? If we can, i'm taking some iodine tabs, some active charcoal, broad spectrum antibiotics and some painkillers.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, this is interesting.

Translatable skillset: 8 years in Scouts. 6 months of mandatory military service ( infantry). 25+ years of active combat sports training ( greco-roman wrestling, muay thai, judo and bjj). 2 years of HEMA, focused on German longsword. I'm in solid shape, train regularly, weekend hikes and such. Decent proficiency with sling. If flora in Faerun is similar to ours, i have good chance to forage for mushrooms and other edible plants. If not, i'm out of luck.

Biggest problem is i have zero experience with bows, crossbows and such and very little experience with hunting.

For equipment:
Longsword
Brigandine ( helmet mandatory)
Shield
Sling
Spear
Dagger ( or good solid knife, it's more tool than weapon)
Explorers pack ( no torches, good sturdy oil lantern is better choice)
Book on edible and poisonous plants in the region

6 weeks of training: ruck marches with all the gear so i get used to weight and distribution of it. Wrestling in armor.
6 weeks of weapon training: brush up on my sling and longsword, spear training, sword and shield training. In and out of armor.

Donkey is best suited to carry stuff like tent and rations ( hard cheese, smoked meat, pecan since those suckers have 690kcal/100g). Average donkey can carry around 50 kg of stuff. One donkey can't haul enough food for whole month, so some foraging and hunting is implied.

If it's possible, in that 12 weeks, i want at least some magic training. 2 cantrips are enough ( light and prestidigitation).

Can we take stuff from our world? If we can, i'm taking some iodine tabs, some active charcoal, broad spectrum antibiotics and some painkillers.

No stuff from our world.

I'm also picking shield, spear, brigantine;)

1 mule was never spitballing. You probably get limited resupply maybe 2 mules. You'll have to carry some food though is the main point.

GrimCo

Adventurer
No stuff from our world.

I'm also picking shield, spear, brigantine;)

1 mule was never spitballing. You probably get limited resupply maybe 2 mules. You'll have to carry some food though is the main point.
Well, good thing is, activated charcoal and willow bark extract can be made in setting. Last thing i want in this scenario is diarrhea.

Hauling some of the food in backpack is normal and expected. I spent enough time hiking and camping in Dinaric alps so it's ok.

I was running some numbers. Brigandine + longsword + spear+ shield is around 7-8kg. It's not that heavy. Fully loaded ak 47 we used to lug around is 4.4kg. Plus all the other kit for field exercises ( in those same fricking Dinaric alps).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe combine both into 12 week fitness and martial practice program.
That sounds as most military boot camps.

Military boot camps don't turn middle-aged nerds into fit fighters. And they are training in weapons even easier to learn than crossbows - you don't become Inigo Montoya after 12 weeks.

Horwath

Legend
Military boot camps don't turn middle-aged nerds into fit fighters. And they are training in weapons even easier to learn than crossbows - you don't become Inigo Montoya after 12 weeks.
OFC not, but 12 weeks of good structured training gets you a decent amount of fitness.
not if you get in with like +30kg of extra fat, there are no miracles in 12 weeks.

as for weapons, yeah, focus on crossbows. you learn it in 5mins how to operate, then 12 weeks of target practice, at least 100 shots per day, in addition to fitness and spear and shield practice. Nothing too fancy.

J-H

Hero
Crossbows with a decent amount of punch take time to reload. Historically, you got a higher rate of fire out of conventional bows, but better armor penetration out of your crossbows.

Zardnaar

Legend

Volksgrenadiers got 6 weeks training in WW2.

Some of us middle age needs have done military training, hike, camp and hike up mounta8ns.

6 weeks of physical training can do a lot as long as someone isn't drastically unfit.

Remove ads