D&D 5E Considering a new concentration mechanic

Shiroiken

Legend
A simpler solution is to remove the minimum DC 10, or at least reduce it to DC 5. It will greatly increase the chance of succeeding on the Concentration save without completely removing it.

I regard the concentration mechanic, including risk of the spell going down through being damaged, as a limiting factor for the spells that use it, and of the classes that rely on spells to do what plain martial characters do.

If you regard those spells, and those classes, as underpowered then removing some of their limitations (such as the risk of losing concentration due to taking damage) is a pretty effective way to buff them.

If you're going to buff every defensive spell that uses concentration on the justification that spells designed for use in melee shouldn't have a risk of being lost through taking damage, then I believe you are missing a factor that went into the design and balance of those spells.
If you find that your Bladesingers and other wizards, Paladins, etc are underperforming overall compared to straight Fighters, Rogues and suchlike however, then this change is a good way to increase their power without having to directly nerf the purely martial characters.

Fanaelialae

Legend
If you're using feats and you don't mind letting feats do the heavy lifting, you could edit the first bullet point of the War Caster feat to also include that you never have to make a concentration check for a spell that only targets yourself.

Alternately, just toss that into the general concentration rules.

Although [MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION] does make a good point about certain classes not really needing it. One might consider making this a feature for full casters only (although even there you may have issues with Bladesingers and the like).

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
To clarify, I don't think every spell designed to be used in melee or to soak damage should be able to forgo the possibility of disruption (blur, which was mentioned by others, is a good example). I also realize that characters that gish or have proficiency in Con already have an advantage that makes ttheir concentration spells more resilient. Balance is definitely an issue. But I think the way I see this is more concerned with fun factor. A wizard that wants to use shadow blade is already taking a risk wading into melee. Why would I punish such a character for doing something cool and thematic? Losing concentration and getting spells disrupted sucks.

I like how concentration limits spellcasters. I like that such spells can be disrupted. I don't like how concentration checks can be fairly easy to pass. I REALLY don't like how gish characters have an easier time maintaining concentration (though weirdly, those are also the classes more likely to take these types of spells). And I don't like that certain spells make them more likely to be disrupted by their very nature. I guess I'm kind of wishy washy on where I stand on the topic. I just got to thinking about it while reading XGtE.

My general house rule is that any spell which affects only the caster themselves doesn't need a concentration check. I find it ridiculous that a protection from energy spell will hardly protect the caster from a burning building they're stuck in. I don't feel that spells like fly are overpowering if it's still in effect after the caster takes damage, someone who flies into the open will probably be taking all the shots anyways.

And nothing in the concentration rules prevents the super-buffed fighter from the 4 casters 1 fighter party. But that's a different aspect of the concentration rules I'd house rule.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So here's something I'm wondering about. Why is Concentration tied to Constitution? I mean I understand conceptually why, but mechanically this begins to favor those who dip as a first level fighter, and also sorcerers. But why would someone that is physically more resilient be better at maintaining mental focus when experiencing pain?

On the flip side, consider Death Saves. One would expect that linking it to Constitution makes great sense, since it involves surviving traumatic bodily harm. Yet they didn't do that. Why? Because mechanically, it would favor those that are mechanically hardier such as fighters. And since everyone suffers from the potential to get down to 0 HP, linking Death Saves to any one ability score would inherently favor some over others, which you would think should be avoided for party balance.

Thus, what if we not only adjusted Concentration in a way that categorized spells into Light Concentration and Heavy Concentration, but also made the Concentration check like a Death Save? This way, regardless of build, you have a 50/50 chance of maintaining the spell when damaged. Additionally, you don't have to work out math to determine the Concentration DC by basing it on damage taken. It also makes minions or low level characters continue to be threats, as any successful hit can potentially disrupt Concentration of a spell.

Another potential consideration would be adding potential abilities to spellcasters to use their reaction to re-roll a failed Concentration check, as spellcasters are typically less likely to use their reaction than melee fighters (outside of spells like shield and counterspell).

I don't know. I haven't considered any of these ideas in-depth. I'm kinda just writing these thoughts as they come to me, but it would seem like an interesting way to handle Concentration.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Ever seen a scrawny wimp take a punch. Earth shattering for him. That bulky guy though... not so much.

I'm discussing two different aspects of the game. One has to do with mechanical balance. Whether or not someone is "big and strong" versus "small and weak" doesn't really fit into that. Based on how I perceive game mechanics are intended to work, the bulky guy and the scrawny wimp have ways to make them essentially equal to some degree.

The other is more conceptual. It is about being able to maintain concentration, or to mentally control and hold onto magic forces despite outside distractions. The scrawny guy's ability to take a punch has nothing to do with their ability to continue a, for lack of a better real-life analogue, mental chant. Sure, you might knock the scrawny guy down. But if he has been training his whole life to hold onto that chant despite pain and distraction, he is more likely to hold onto that mental chant and continue despite being knocked down. On the same token, just because the bulky guy may be able to take a punch better, doesn't mean he would be less easy to distract from continuing a mental chant while being punched. It just means he doesn't get knocked down as easily.

Physical size and strength does not reflect one's ability to focus. But based on the current mechanic, a Fighter 1/ Wizard 4 has a better shot at maintaining their concentration through a spell than a Wizard 20, simply because the Fighter 1 / Wizard 4 took fighter first and has proficiency in Constitution saving throws. The increased mental aptitude and practice of the level 20 Wizard is far more relevant to their ability to maintain focus in the face of distraction (even physical distraction and pain), yet he is mechanically worse than the less practiced individual.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm discussing two different aspects of the game. One has to do with mechanical balance. Whether or not someone is "big and strong" versus "small and weak" doesn't really fit into that. Based on how I perceive game mechanics are intended to work, the bulky guy and the scrawny wimp have ways to make them essentially equal to some degree.

The other is more conceptual. It is about being able to maintain concentration, or to mentally control and hold onto magic forces despite outside distractions. The scrawny guy's ability to take a punch has nothing to do with their ability to continue a, for lack of a better real-life analogue, mental chant. Sure, you might knock the scrawny guy down. But if he has been training his whole life to hold onto that chant despite pain and distraction, he is more likely to hold onto that mental chant and continue despite being knocked down. On the same token, just because the bulky guy may be able to take a punch better, doesn't mean he would be less easy to distract from continuing a mental chant while being punched. It just means he doesn't get knocked down as easily.

Physical size and strength does not reflect one's ability to focus. But based on the current mechanic, a Fighter 1/ Wizard 4 has a better shot at maintaining their concentration through a spell than a Wizard 20, simply because the Fighter 1 / Wizard 4 took fighter first and has proficiency in Constitution saving throws. The increased mental aptitude and practice of the level 20 Wizard is far more relevant to their ability to maintain focus in the face of distraction (even physical distraction and pain), yet he is mechanically worse than the less practiced individual.

Physical size and strength does effect how much a hit jars you.

NFL players get hit all the time by other NFL players. Those hits don't affect them like they would me. If I was to take a hit from a NFL player I wouldnt be able to concentrate on anything. If I was to take a hit from someone more my size then the hit wouldn't jar me as much and I could concentrate.

Concentration makes sense as a constitution check

Remove ads