• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Considering Dual Wielder Feat change proposals

I'd take the red additional text of option 1 and swap it with the Two-weapon Style ability.

So the Style would be granting additional off-hand attacks if you have more attacks per Attack action, and the feat would be granting the ability modifier damage to your off-hand attack.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Option 1 would give monks another attack, right? Since they could use both TWF and martial arts.

Martial arts is worded that when you use an unarmed strike or attack with a weapon you can make the bonus action unarmed strike.

I would rule that to exclude any kind of alternate two weapon fighting that doesn't use the bonus action.

Flurry of Blows only says 'take the attack action' so it would give the monk a potential extra attack however Monks lack one-handed 1d8 weapons so they don't get much other benefit from Dual Wielder out of the gate. And once their unarmed is 1d8 or better it starts looking like a corner case optimization that I'd be fine with because the rest of the party is using magic weapons with bonus damage likely while the monk is still doing unimpressive magical damage with unarmed strikes.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I actually went the opposite direction. I added "handedness" back, so you don't get your proficiency bonus using your off-hand. Otherwise no "I am not left-handed!"

If you take Dual Wielder you are proficient with both, and receive your normal damage bonuses.

In addition, the AC bonus is +1 with two weapons, or +2 if using a weapon and a buckler or a weapon and a cloak. You can still make an off-hand (punching) attack. The buckler can be spiked to cause more damage, and the cloak can be used as a special attack to attempt to restrain or disarm the target with proficiency. In my campaign, special attacks like this grant the target a saving throw (DC 8+ your attack modifier), and if the attack fails they get an opportunity attack against you.

The idea was more for flavor, and "realism". I don't like that you can't model Inigo Montoya or Jamie Lannister with the current rules. I also encourage other options than lethal attacks, and one of the main purposes of dual wielding is defensive.

I disagree that Great Weapon Master is much better. There are significant penalties to get that extra damage. It works out to about 4 hp/rd for Dual Wielder (using 2 1d8 weapons), or 5.5 hp/rd for GWM unless they score a critical (and then hit with their bonus attack. But assuming a 50% chance to hit, the dual wielder will hit once every round on average, where the GWM using his maximum penalty/damage bonus will only hit once/4 rounds. Big hits, but at a price, particularly since combats can be lethal quickly.

Ilbranteloth

Remove ads