D&D 5E Considering Dual Wielder Feat change proposals

LapBandit

First Post
Changes to the feat in red

Option 1 : Dual Wielder

You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:.

• + 0 AC.
  • You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light.
  • You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
  • Your off-hand attack becomes part of your Attack Action, freeing up your Bonus Action.
  • If you miss an attack during an Attack Action, you can use your Bonus Action to retry that attack.

OR

Option 2 : Dual Wielder
You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:.

• +1 AC.
  • You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light.
  • You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
  • If you hit with your main-hand on any of your attacks during the Attack Action, your off-hand attack becomes Advantaged.

What do you think?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Those changes seem fine... can't really say if they accomplish whatever goal is the reason of changing the feat in the first place since no goal for the changes are mentioned, nor can I say that I'd use these changes (as I have no personal motivation to change the standard text of the feat).

LapBandit

First Post
Those changes seem fine... can't really say if they accomplish whatever goal is the reason of changing the feat in the first place since no goal for the changes are mentioned...

I don't like Dual Wielding/Dual Wielder in its current incarnation, I feel it is too weak once players get to 5th level of playing with feats. I want to improve it so that it is an attractive option to plan a character for/around in my upcoming campaign.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
...I feel it is too weak once players get to 5th level of playing with feats. I want to improve it so that it is an attractive option to plan a character for/around in my upcoming campaign.
The first option seems like the better solution, then, as it increases the overall strength of the feat in a consistent fashion - but both definitely accomplish the goal you've stated in my opinion.

S

Sunseeker

If I were picking between these two feats, I would take the first option. The +1 AC has always been situation to me, since my characters always "stow" their weapons after combat, it also gives the Rogue an extra chance to hit, which I also like.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I like the first option. It's a more consistent high damage option, but still can't reach the peaks of GWM/Sharpshooter. Would make it a difficult choice of what style to choose, not an obvious one, which feels right to me.

Might have to steal this one, thanks.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
i think option 1 is too good for rogues. Get the benefit of TWF and keep your cunning action too.

Option 2 seems OK but I don't think it really solves your problem. (Which seems to be that GWF does more damage than TWF, in general?)

psychophipps

Explorer
The free attack sounds reasonable for single-attack classes like Rogue, but I don't think it'll hold up to the sniff test with multi-attack classes with the first option.

The second version is more reasonable but auto-advantage on any hit with the main hand is pretty unnecessary, IMO.

The part that makes DW balanced is the same thing that makes it less-optimal when compared to GWF, the opportunity cost of your bonus action to take another swing for the fences.

To be honest, I don't see that it will ever really "balance", and that's not really as bad a thing as some of the DPR-based folks think. I would gladly trade a bit of DPR for the ability to describe a Ranger wading into some Orcs with a battleaxe in one hand and a warhammer in the other, a dervish of destruction as he parries their weapons aside, and attacking three separate foes. Great roleplaying often has an opportunity cost after all.

If you want to focus on DPR, go GWM. If you're willing to trade a bit of DPR to make Strider in the LotR movies look like a punk, you have that option as well.

Remove ads