Consistent parts of speech

occam

Adventurer
I just realized something I like about 4e: All the skill names are nouns!

OK, OK, for anyone who isn't a bit of a grammar freak this will have about the same importance as the length of a typical 4e gnome's ear hair, but it's something that's always bugged me in many different game systems. For example, 3e uses a mix of verbs (Appraise, Decipher Script, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Use Rope, etc.) and nouns (Concentration, Forgery, Knowledge, Profession, etc.). Then there's the oddly-named Escape Artist, which describes not the skill, but the skill-user.

I just like the fact that apparently there's at least one person at WotC who's as much of a nut about this as I am, and made the skill names consistent. And with only one gerund (Dungeoneering) among them! It warms the cockles of my left frontal cortex.

Now let's see how they do with feats. ;-)

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
The designers came to the realization that skills are things and not just a single action?

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
occam said:
I just like the fact that apparently there's at least one person at WotC who's as much of a nut about this as I am, and made the skill names consistent. And with only one gerund (Dungeoneering) among them! It warms the cockles of my left frontal cortex.
Will you be just as impressed if they include noun clauses, too?

"How Thor threw the hammer"
"What Bigby cast"

Richards

Legend
Interesting...but more importantly, what have you heard about the length of a typical 4e gnome's ear hair? I hope they didn't go overboard here, or it will really ruin the 4E experience for me. Too much ear hair really destroys the feeling of verisimilitude for me.

Johnathan

Remove ads