• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constantine-type character

Rackhir

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz said:
UMD? What is that?

Use Magic Device - It's a skill that lets rogues(primarily) use wands, scrolls, and other magical items that they would not normally be able to use.

However, Constantine is not a character that fits well into a system like D&D which tends to be fairly cut and dried in terms of abilities and powers. Most of what he does do is bluff and BS, but he can back it up well enough if need be. However, he is not a knock down drag out raw power combatant. He is a character that depends heavily on essentially "Plot Immunity". He always "Knows" the crucial bit of information, finds the weakness (just not quite in time to save his friend(s)) and only gets his bluff called when he actually isn't bluffing.

If you are going to really capture much of how he operates, you'll really need to work with your DM on your character "knowing" more than the rest of the party (even if it's only the DM telling you that you need to go here and not telling you why) and generally giving the rest of the group the impression that you know a lot more than you actually do.

BTW Constantine the Movie really was pretty decent. About the only area where Keanu really failed was he just can't convey Constantine's charm, but he actually did a credible job and captures the bitterness and sarcastic anger of him quite well. I thought I would hate the film and actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Nyeshet

First Post
Rackhir said:
If you are going to really capture much of how he operates, you'll really need to work with your DM on your character "knowing" more than the rest of the party (even if it's only the DM telling you that you need to go here and not telling you why) and generally giving the rest of the group the impression that you know a lot more than you actually do.
This really does suggest a Bard - with the music abilities replaced with something else. He has the correct class skills (social, UMD, several useful others, etc), he has the Lore ability (which if altered a bit can readily be used to mimic the 'hunches' and odd bit of knowledge Constantine occasionally has), and he has some arcane knowledge - that (while using Cha instead of Int) is supposedly based upon learning rather than innate ability.

Archivist sounds like it could work, but I would need to better understand the powers and - more importantly - the 'feel' of the class. It sounds like it could work, however. A Tiefling Archivist with 'forbidden / rare knowledge,' some learned magical abilities, and a few specials that increase tactical combat ability against outsiders, etc could work well. Does it have the necessary class skills and skill points, however?

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
I first came across JC in the Sandman series of books by Gaiman I think, is there stuff that predates this?

Sorry, don't mean ta hijack.

XCorvis

First Post
Darmanicus said:
I first came across JC in the Sandman series of books by Gaiman I think, is there stuff that predates this?

Yes, much. I think he first appeared in Swamp Thing as a minor character. His own series, Hellblazer, is on issue 210 or something like that.

Michael Tree

First Post
The Archivist is available in full here.

It really is almost perfect for the comic book Constantine. The only thing it lacks is the Bluff skill, but if you take one level of Rogue and the Able Learner feat (from races of destiny), you get all the sneaky underhanded skills you need.

Klaus

First Post
Darmanicus said:

Sorry, don't mean ta hijack.
John Constantine first appeared as an unlikely "mentor" of sorts to the Swamp Thing (back when he still thought he was the reincarnated Alec Holland). This was circa 1984-85. Back then he looked even more like Sting (The Police's singer/bass player) than he does now.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yep.

Which is why Sting would have been a perfect choice for the role (as opposed to Keanu)...he's even about the right age.

Remove ads