• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constantine-type character

Ero Gaki

First Post
My group is getting ready to start the Age of Worms adventure path, set in Eberron. I thought that it would be really cool to make a Constantine-type character; it seems to fit the noir-pulp feel of eberron.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on how to make such a character? The game starts at 1st level. I would like to emulate the weird mix of psychic intuition and priest-like incantations. Thanks.

JimAde

First Post
Ero Gaki said:
My group is getting ready to start the Age of Worms adventure path, set in Eberron. I thought that it would be really cool to make a Constantine-type character; it seems to fit the noir-pulp feel of eberron.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on how to make such a character? The game starts at 1st level. I would like to emulate the weird mix of psychic intuition and priest-like incantations. Thanks.
I think you've just described the paladin. Detect Evil lets you find the bad-guys (psychic intuition) and you'll eventually get spells. Maybe you can talk the Dm into letting you multiclass paladin and cleric without restriction, or you can plan to go straight cleric after a level or two of paladin.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I assume you mean the character and not the Roman emperor who introduced christianity to the empire?

If so then I'd probably go straight up paladin like JimAde suggested. There is more than one way to roleplay lawful good mind you.

XCorvis

First Post
Although paladin is a really neat idea, Hellblazer Constantine would be best as a Sorcerer or Bard (sans music). He's extremely charismatic - but a huge dick.

The Bardic Sage variant from UA might be a good fit. They get divinations but their musical ability is reduced. http://d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantBardicSage
That covers the intuition (divination spells), so for the priest-like incantations you just need to play it up. (Charm: "By the power of the Silver Flame, I bind you to my will!")

Keanu Constantine might be best as some kind of cleric, maybe of the trickery and knowledge or divination domains. He would not be dedicated to a god, but to some mystical force. Cloistered cleric from UA might be better, since they are less combat focused, and get a bonus domain. They also get the Lore ability, which I think fits very well.
http://d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloisteredCleric

sukael

First Post
If you can get your hands on it, take a look at Complete Adventurer. There are some good paladin/rogue PrCs in there, as well as some straight-paladin but 'darker' progression prestige classes.

Patlin

Explorer
As far as I can tell, John Constantine's main power is that he somehow gets everybody to rely on him, and then he stabs them in the back. Any magical power is strictly secondary and usually subtle. Perhaps rogue?

But then, I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not sure how badly they twisted the character for the silver screen.

Quoted from memory, so forgive any mistakes:

Tim Hunter "I'm not like Constantine."
Titania "No, you're worse. You're his weapon."

Remove ads